Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,787,864 times

Advertisements

If I see someone with time to make plan changes, and feel they might want to consider another alternate in their travel plans, I'll offer it as a suggestion.

How many of you folks who are calling us out for making a suggestion have lived in Kona, or have been to Kona for 3 days while under 21 (ie no nightclub access for dancing, etc), and no car? I can offer some input as a West Hawaii resident with kids that reach into their 20's, there are options that should be considered before determining Kona is the best place for a short trip.

Compared to Waikiki, Kona might be a bit slow for a 20 year old visitor. For residents, they have access to friends' homes to hang out, know the hangout spots for the local kids (as in resident kids), know where the beaches are for overnight camping [car required], know where the unpublished hiking/camping areas are [car required], etc. A tourist without a car would not have the same access to "things to do".

Then again, Kona might be the perfect destination. Kona is a great spot. It might be just right for the OP as a vacation destination. But there might be someone else that is better suited.

I do not hate Oahu, and have no problem offering it up as a suggestion to consider.

Last edited by CyberCity; 03-01-2013 at 02:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
But, 3 days at one of the Gold Coast resorts, that would be a treat, even without a car!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Of course the Four Seasons or Fairmont are good options on the BI with no car.
Yes, the Waikoloa Resort area offers a totally different experience than Kona for those who lack a rental car. Staying there (or further North up the coast) would be days of poolside and swimable beaches, shopping centers, food courts and restaurants, lush landscaping, and plenty of enjoyable places within walking/shuttle bus distance in the evening. You don't NEED a car at the resorts.

By the way, for golfers, it is a prime destination!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 AM

31 posts, read 104,380 times
Appreciate all the responses guys. FYI I am way over 21 (38). Car will probably be out of the question but I understand the limitations that come with it. Always been in love with The Big Island so not really interested in Waikiki.

Anyone have any links to the bus tours by chance?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,730,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osborn89419 View Post
FYI I am way over 21 (38). Car will probably be out of the question
All sorts of places offer driver lessons - your trip is a ways away - I'd look into it.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Appreciate all the responses guys. FYI I am way over 21 (38). Car will probably be out of the question but I understand the limitations that come with it. Always been in love with The Big Island so not really interested in Waikiki.

Anyone have any links to the bus tours by chance?
Ah ha, 38 ..... then you'll have a grand time in Kona! It is not the most happening place in the world, but there is plenty of fun stuff [yes legal] for an adult to do while there.

Check out Roberts tours, they enjoy a good reputation.

You might want to do a Mauna Kea tour, here is a company that I've heard good things about, Hawaii Forest and Trails tours.

Good luck, you'll have fun.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
All sorts of places offer driver lessons - your trip is a ways away - I'd look into it.
Actually I was a truck driver for several years. Company I drove for went out of business and didn't pay 2 tickets they said they would. Was not able to renew my license until it's taken care of. Bad thing being California turns over delinquent tickets over to a collection agency, but they don't have it. Was advised to wait 7 years for them to disappear since nobody can find the tickets but can't clear them from dmv. Benefits of living in a small town include never being pulled over

Old 03-01-2013, 03:40 AM

Somebody would be in big trouble if I was being told that I had to wait out someone else's mistake for 7 years.

Anyway, you'll do fine in Kona without a car, which I can comfortably say now that I know you are old enough to enjoy Kona's [limited] nightlife, and that you have the mindset to take in a tour or two.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 AM

Yep already have the Roberts tour booked for Saturday the 4th of May. 79 bucks seemed reasonable for an almost 11 hour trip. They advise bringing a jacket. Last thing I think of packing

Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM

6,381 posts, read 4,753,454 times
Quote:
Yep already have the Roberts tour booked for Saturday the 4th of May. 79 bucks seemed reasonable for an almost 11 hour trip. They advise bringing a jacket. Last thing I think of packing
It will probably be cold at the volcano. We wore our resort towels as blankets, along with what seemed like half of the people up there. A light windbreaker doesn't take up much luggage space, but really helps when worn with layers of shirts. If you walk through the tunnels, a hat is good too. Water drips in most of them.

I apologize in advance if my offering is irrelevant. Be sure to check with the Volcano Guru for the real story. After all, this is HIS forum!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Appreciate the tip future! I'm also looking at the snorkel cruise they do, any insight to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island