Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times

Advertisements

Doesn't Hilo have warm weather? It always seems so hot to me when we go there. It doesn't rain as much as you'd expect, either. Dunno about the diving, but there are bands there. Lots of them, although I think there are more keyboards than pianos anymore. There is that pipe organ if you want really big pianos.

Maui is nice, but terribly expensive and Californicated, at least it seemed that way last time I was there. They are kinda loud and abrasive there, a bit, these days, too. Just listen to a Maui radio station and you'll hear the difference. A more "in your face" type of attitude than some of the other islands. Just a bit, but enough to notice.

A lot of this stuff is relative, too. "Warm weather" to an Alaskan is gonna be a whole lot different than "warm weather" to someone from Thailand. But, folks can come and visit and then figure out where to settle or if to settle at all.

Not that it matters, the OP has not enough money for the Big Island, Maui wouldn't even be a consideration, one would expect.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,050,825 times
This thread stopped being about the OP a LOOOOOONG time ago.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:47 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I am not so sure that all the posters who are inquiring about moving to Hawaii with no money and no jobs are trolls.

If you read other forums on City-data, the second that anyone says that they lost their job and are going to be homeless, a dozen people will recommend that they move to either Hawaii or Florida, because the weather is nice and there are no heating bills. They figure that the weather makes those two locations the best place to be homeless.

Unfortunately, it appears to be one of those urban myths that "everybody knows".

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't what to tell you OpenD...
... but you'll tell me anyway. I know, I know.

Sure, Maui is great, and i think it's great, too, but you left out a major item... on average Maui has the highest real estate prices in the state, while Big Island has the lowest. To some people Maui's higher costs are a deal breaker.

I think it is just marvy and fab that you are so in love with Maui, and I feel you should tell everyone you can about it, any time you feel like it... on the Maui forum.

But it's just not right to be coming onto the Big Island forum, constantly trying to discourage people from taking vacations here or moving here. Remember, you have a BIG STAKE in seeing the BI's economy improve!

Please, please, just leave the BI forum to the people who love it and who live it. We can give the answers to people's questions, both the good and the bad... and we know there are both... without all the negativity.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-27-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
So OpenD. Let me get this right. An alternative viewpoint on the BI isn't appropriate unless it aligns with your viewpoint. Interesting rule you have just come up with. Sorry, I won't let everyone wear rose colored glasses and leave out how it really is. Just ignore the posts, I hear it isn't that hard and will save 8 paragraph responses from you.

Have you even been to the other islands?

In fact the more reality is skewed, that just causes more responses not less. If we are going to be on a message board just be realistic.

I've spent hundreds of days on the BI which is hundreds more than some of the posters on the BI that never put a foot on another island in Hawaii but still post in Maui or Oahu or Kauai.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,808,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Yes, and if we regulars would take a step back, and not get ourselves wound up, it would be less tempting to for trolls and bogus posters to stop by here.
That, again. I'd rather see some of the regular poster use the "ignore" function a bit more, instead of the in-fighting that makes the Hawaii forum so tempting for trolls/bogus posters.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM

242 posts, read 391,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think it is just marvy and fab that you are so in love with Maui, and I feel you should tell everyone you can about it, any time you feel like it... on the Maui forum.
Leave Maui out of this conversation. I don't want any more dreamers (or snobby tourists) to come here. BI can keep its problems on the BI; but in reality - as the Viper says - we all have to pay to prop up those Islands that are less 'fortunate'.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Sorry, I won't let everyone wear rose colored glasses and leave out how it really is.
Nope, nope, nope. It's not about wearing rose colored glasses. It's about not wearing brown colored ones.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,255,956 times
Quote:
Sorry, I won't let everyone wear rose colored glasses and leave out how it really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Nope, nope, nope. It's not about wearing rose colored glasses. It's about not wearing brown colored ones.
This exchange is like watching two blind men trying to cross a stream, which reminds me of the following Hawaiian story...

Quote:
Two men, one completely blind and one partially blind, wanted to cross Punaluʻu Stream in Kaʻu. The completely blind man didn't know that the partially blind man was unable to see well. When they reached the edge of the stream, the completely blind man asked his companion, "Is there water down there?"

The partially blind man replied, "Yes, there is."

So they jumped in with the intention of swimming across. Unfortunately, the stream was dry and both men ended up breaking a few bones and getting bruised.
Ever since, Hawaiian elders have had the following saying for "the partially blind trying to lead the completely blind"...

ʻAʻohe nohoʻi ou ʻi mai ʻaʻohe wai o lalo.
You didn't tell me that there wasn't any water below.

I'll leave it up to others to determine who's the "partially blind man" and who's the "completely blind man" when it comes to this particular thread and the Big Island...

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
And to give them time to contemplate, I'm closing the thread.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island