Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 15,214 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are coming to Hilo in June look at schools neighborhoods and possible rentals .
Still waiting for our house to sell but doing our homework now. School are the big problem from
What I have heard . My 13 year old has 3 years of school left and wants to call Hawaii home also.
That's one reason why we are looking into Hilo . Both highschools seem to be ok . Any thought on that
Would be helpfully .
We both will be needing jobs. We did save enough to survive a year or so but hope not to use up
Our savings and have money put Down on a house in a couple years. The wife is a lpn nurse hoping
There will be work for her and I have a CDl A and a welder fabricator witch I do not see a lot of welding
Jobs on the big iland. But I am open to try any new job .
Any thought of our chances of fining descent job?
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,914,932 times
If you bring welding and metal working equipment with you, welding truck racks might be a viable side job or even new business. Metal prices are shockingly high, here, though as well as electric rates so check out the details before deciding on a welding business.

Do you have a passenger endorsement on your CDL? Driving tourists around is pretty common. There are a few logging trucks going down the coast now, too. Dunno anything about them, though, other than they go by loaded with eucalyptus trees.

All the schools are run by the state, so technically, they should all be very similar, but the admin at each school makes a big difference in how the school is run.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks for you thoughts.
I do have a p endorsments but with restrictions
Witch I will need some training and a road test.
But very possible.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,320,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There are a few logging trucks going down the coast now, too. Dunno anything about them, though, other than they go by loaded with eucalyptus trees.
They are probably headed toward Pepeekeo, to fuel the Hu Honua powerplant there... HELCO Signs Deal With Hu Honua for Electricity | Big Island Now

My neighbor is a welder with a big portable rig. He gets occasional work, mostly agricultural equipment repair. Like a lot of people, he doubles up doing other things, like grading building sites and hauling gravel.

Sorry to say, the outlook for nurses is pretty grim at the moment, as one of the big HMOs just laid off a lot of nurses in a big staff cutback.

Tour bus drivers have to be tested and qualify on knowledge of the island, so it's very hard for a newbie. Other than delivery trucks, most of the trucks I see in the South Hilo and Puna area are hauling water or hauling gravel & dirt, so those are areas you could check out.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM

Could not find anything about a HMO big layoff.
We been keeping a eye on the jobs for mouths now
And it seems lpn jobs show up from time to time.
Hoping 10 years experence will help.
Thanks for your time you comments will keep us
On our tows . Definetly doing our homework .

Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,320,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennelly View Post
Could not find anything about a HMO big layoff.
Use the search function here... search term "nurse," search Hawaii forums, show "Posts."

Here's the thread I was referring to: Kaiser laying off 25% of its Registered Nurses at Hawaii Clinics

Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks agine

Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,819,355 times
We transplanted to the Big Island from one of the best school districts in the country to one of the worst. This morning my 16 year old daughter said, "My school caters to the stupid and the angry. There aren't any resources left over for the smart kids."

Sounds horrible. But they are graduating her a year early. I guess that's the silver lining at the end of the resources. Rather than continuing her education they admit defeat and put her into the collegiate system.

Her school counselor asked why we didn't try to get her into the Hilo High School? Apparently it is better. Actually, we tried, but it requires the permission of both the losing and gaining principals. And the losing principal refused to grant the waiver. The only other option was private school, which we couldn't do because she was the wrong color for one school, and we didn't have enough green for the other.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,795,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
This morning my 16 year old daughter said, "My school caters to the stupid and the angry. There aren't any resources left over for the smart kids."
A totally accurate observation by your daughter. Which is why it is so important for parents to choose wisely before settling on a public school (some are much worse than others!), for the parents to remain involved in the educational track of their child, and to be proactive in making sure your child gets the best education that the school has to offer .... and each school has different challenges.

Terracore, congrats to your daughter, and you the parent, for successfully navigating the public high school system! I think your daughter will find it a different (and better) experience once she hits the college level in Hawaii.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,819,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Terracore, congrats to your daughter, and you the parent, for successfully navigating the public high school system! I think your daughter will find it a different (and better) experience once she hits the college level in Hawaii.
Thanks! It also pays to do your research. Before we came, we prepared for the "worst case scenerio" which was that she wouldn't be able to tolerate public school in Hawaii. She took her SATs at the end of her freshman year in Alaska. If needed be, she could have earned her GED and gone directly to college. (I have a friend in Kona who had to send his son back to the mainland to finish High School). It's actually working out pretty well for her in Hawaii. But not because of the public schools, more like in spite of them. Her "AP calculus" course is done via Skype with the Maui class. Not surprisingly, all the Maui kids are doing well and all of the Puna kids are struggling. I have a bunch of printed emails where my daughter asks for help and the only reply from the teacher is "if this class is too hard for you, you should probably quit". All the other Puna kids are getting the same response. Sorry, despite the Hawaii county's best efforts, we aren't raising a quitter. Our daughter is trying to arrange for the students to get private tutoring via the university. The parents that can barely afford this are paying for the kid that can't. In the meantime, she is learning calculus via youtube.

How about this for a bumper sticker: "Hawaii Public Schools. Almost as good as youtube."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island