Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times

Advertisements

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions just because this poor woman asked for some advice. Maybe she likes to be frugal. Maybe they like to eat certain brands. You don't know! She asked what people who live here recomend she bring and we got several helpful posts and a bunch of snotty judgemental responses from people who don't live here.

And frankly I hope you never come to visit. Asshats aren't welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I think everyone is jumping to conclusions just because this poor woman asked for some advice. Maybe she likes to be frugal. Maybe they like to eat certain brands. You don't know! She asked what people who live here recomend she bring and we got several helpful posts and a bunch of snotty judgemental responses from people who don't live here.

And frankly I hope you never come to visit. Asshats aren't welcome.
If you think your post was helpful, you are deluding yourself. The best "help" she got was to advise her not to leave until she had sufficient financial backing to last a year or so. Recomendations about spices or TP or lens solutions just encourage somebody to "walk the plank" into the shark tank.

Nobody is jumping to conclusions, we read her post. It was clear and concise, and a prelude to disaster, which you would have "helped" her in being a victim of.

To quote in pertinent part.

"so we're not blowing all of our money when we get there "

And YOU are the one jumping to conclusions about who lives where. BTW, I moved to Hawaii in 1979, FYI

Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
The original post on this thread takes the cake for most ridiculous. Moving to HI from mainland and bringing food to save $? Sounds like they will be signing up for welfare once they get there. Dumbest thread ever!
Not only was the OP dumb, but the respones that followed suit were equally "dumb" The closest other advice that she got was to "check her finances", which, whille in the proper vein, is far too non-specific/emphatic.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 04-15-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Now that I think about it, I remember a post about not being able to get exact brand of little boxes of chocolate milk that the baby would drink.

So, if OP will only drink little lunchbox size boxes of chocolate milk, maybe someone can remember what brand that was, because that one is not available.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Now that I think about it, I remember a post about not being able to get exact brand of little boxes of chocolate milk that the baby would drink.

So, if OP will only drink little lunchbox size boxes of chocolate milk, maybe someone can remember what brand that was, because that one is not available.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raechul View Post
Well, we're moving! I've been gathering a few things to bring, food wise...
If there's anything you can get there but not here, that's what I would recommend. Some Jerky for the plane ride is always nice. Combo's are good too.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
If there's anything you can get there but not here, that's what I would recommend. Some Jerky for the plane ride is always nice. Combo's are good too.
What she needs most are "bars" - gold bars - 20 Bars, 1 Troy Oz each ought to do it, for starters.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
What she needs most are "bars" - gold bars - 20 Bars, 1 Troy Oz each ought to do it, for starters.
Well, we all could use a few of those.

Perhaps we shouldn't assume that she was being literal when she said "without spending all our money". I read it to be light sarcasm rather than an actual statement.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Not only was the OP dumb, but the respones that followed suit were equally "dumb" The closest other advice that she got was to "check her finances", which, whille in the proper vein, is far too non-specific/emphatic.
Somehow I don't think my advice was "dumb." In fact it was quite insightful. At some point she's going to spend more money getting stuff there than she would just buying it there. A little logic goes a long way.

Put your snide attitude away, it's quite unbecoming.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Babies don't need chocolate milk. And we wonder why this country is a bunch of obese idiots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island