Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Oh how I long for Hawaii, the bluest state there is. Dealing with the tea partiers and their embarrassing candidates is very tiring. Stay in Texas if you like the red silliness.
Amen.

Personally I'm offended that people who are not actually stakeholders in Hawai'i... people who don't live in Hawai'i, don't own property in Hawai'i, don't pay taxes in Hawai'i... who have the arrogance to say they know better than locals how things should be done here. I don't want to be "protected" by them. I want to be protected FROM them.

And in my view, dragging a simple thread about the differences between Austin and Kona into the swamp of partisan political wrangling, when there is a perfectly good Politics and Other Controversies forum to house such contentious conversations for those who are actually interested in wrestling in the mud, it just makes no sense to me.

I mean, let's face it, it's hard enough to keep things civil around here just discussing which island is better to spend a three day weekend on.

Last edited by OpenD; 04-26-2013 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Amen.

I don't want to be "protected" by them. I want to be protected FROM them.

I take it you are referring to the recent onslaught of cannibalism? It's getting pretty bad around here too.

A'ole kala, a'ole mae 'ai, a'ole pilikia..

Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Hawaii's politics is holding it back hugely,
I'm very middle of the road - like things from both parties - but what us holding us back so hugely - we've got one of the strongest economies in the US. (excluding Big Island - as it keeps attacting the poorest of the poor - it just won't recover - I just wish the BI would just put its foot down and say enough is enough with the financially challenged - you don't help)

Old 04-27-2013, 03:33 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think you're referring to the economy in Texas? The assumption that you need a red state to 'get things moving economically'? But most red states are not economic engines.

What makes Texas appear economically successful is the same thing that occurred in many sunbelt cities, and that is rampant rampant construction, and the sprawl that comes from that.

We didn't see Mississippi or Alabama or Kentucky or other typical red states 'boom' because of their being 'red'. So there was no 'Texas being a red state' that did it.

But, even if Hawaii wanted to copy the sprawl style of endless construction....it's simply not possible.
I don't think anyone suggested that approach, but Hawaii has a reputation of being business unfriendly, as, increasingly, California, which has gone from a prosperous red state, to declining blue state.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I don't think anyone suggested that approach, but Hawaii has a reputation of being business unfriendly,
Due to its nature of being 2,500 miles away from the west coast - Hawaii by nature isn't ever going to be "business friendly" - just the raw costs of building material, land, and electricity doesn't make it an attractice business area. Even if you made it tax friendlier - companies from the mainland aren't going to pack up and move the business to Hawaii.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Due to its nature of being 2,500 miles away from the west coast - Hawaii by nature isn't ever going to be "business friendly" - just the raw costs of building material, land, and electricity doesn't make it an attractice business area. Even if you made it tax friendlier - companies from the mainland aren't going to pack up and move the business to Hawaii.
Don't want to respond. Might be seen as hijacking, which I didn't start.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM

157 posts, read 266,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolve77 View Post
We recently sold our business here in Las Vegas and we are currently looking at 2 business opportunities, one Austin and another one in Kona. Both opportunities would provide a stable family environment in terms of quality time spent with the little ones and sufficient income.
Well you've narrowed it down to 2 great places. I love Austin - the only place I'd rather live is Hawaii.

What type of business opportunity in Austin? The economy here seems to be on fire right now, and as mentioned early, the city is still growing really fast.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM

35 posts, read 47,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
Well you've narrowed it down to 2 great places. I love Austin - the only place I'd rather live is Hawaii.

What type of business opportunity in Austin? The economy here seems to be on fire right now, and as mentioned early, the city is still growing really fast.
The type of business that has presented itself involves servicing the commercial trucking industry. It's a franchise that currently has contracts with several companies and has the potential to services the Fort Worth area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island