Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 AM

502 posts, read 985,667 times

Advertisements

I am amazed how much trash and sheet we can throw into the ocean and it is still reasonably blue and clear. All the nations dump their refuse into the ocean; amazing that anything can live in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I am amazed how much trash and sheet we can throw into the ocean and it is still reasonably blue and clear. All the nations dump their refuse into the ocean; amazing that anything can live in it.
Having transited both the Atlantic and Pacific, I can tell you that the oceans are HUGE. Every animal in there poops in it from the Blue Whale to Krill. Oil oozes from the ocean floor in amounts that would boggle your mind if it were all collected into one outfall. True, some of man's pollutions are harmful, or at least causes the ocean to react in ways we don't like, but all in all, there is so much volume there that it all gets diluted pretty well.

Don't get me wrong, I am against litter, and pollution on land and water, but one has to keep a perspective on just how big the oceans are, both in terms of volume and area.

IMHO, trash, etc., should be dumped into huge lined holes in the ground, covered over with impermeable membranes and dirt, and tapped for the methane gas that is produced. Better than dumping it into the ocean for both the ocean and man. The methane can power generators for the grid.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Great Pacific garbage patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Now if we can only turn plastic into food.... we would have no World Starvation.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 AM

104 posts, read 253,067 times
Quote:
Now if we can only turn plastic into food.... we would have no World Starvation.
Here is the sad and scary thing: all that plastic breaks down into smaller bits that are actually ingested by marine wildlife and if we eat what comes from the oceans, by us.

Mango, I know you've been to some of those way-remote beaches in Hawai'i, as have I. Many of them are just coated in little colorful bits of plastic, about the size of a sesame seed. When that stuff is floating it looks like algae to a lot of fish.

But, it gets worse. Plastics floating in the ocean will accumulate PCBs at rates of 100,000 to 1,000,000 times that of just regular sea water. So, when the fish eat the plastic they are also eating the PCBs that the plastic accumulates. And, of course, we eat these banned chemicals when we eat the fish.

http://marinedebris.noaa.gov/info/pdf/plastic.pdf

Old 06-07-2013, 04:16 PM

If Karma catches up with all of us, then some might say that we all got poetic justice. We sheet in the ocean and the ocean sheets on us.

I have friends on the mainland who are telling me that a new type of ailment going around big cities called "Alergic Asthma" which is accumulated air pollutants that cause the sufferer to have symptoms of a strong hacking cough with unproductive sputum. They tell me it is like Emphysema cough, coughing one's guts out..... Contrails anyone ?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
If Karma catches up with all of us, then some might say that we all got poetic justice. We sheet in the ocean and the ocean sheets on us.

I have friends on the mainland who are telling me that a new type of ailment going around big cities called "Alergic Asthma" which is accumulated air pollutants that cause the sufferer to have symptoms of a strong hacking cough with unproductive sputum. They tell me it is like Emphysema cough, coughing one's guts out..... Contrails anyone ?
Never heard of it. Contrails are water vapor. WWII piston-powered bombers created Con Trails. Con as in Condensed (Water Vapor) Trails.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 AM

Some say there is a mass of floating trash the size of Texas floating on the ocean endlessly.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Some say there is a mass of floating trash the size of Texas floating on the ocean endlessly.
It actually IS Texas. Recent seismic events set it adrift. They always said it was 'LIKE A WHOLE NOTHER COUNTRY', now it is.

Aloha, hope this helps

(not really)

Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
The hike along the shore to the Green Sand Beach is horrific! The trash just continues to pile up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island