Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times

Advertisements

Didn't they do a water taste test a while back, and Honolulu water out of the tap was rated right up there with the expensive bottled stuff? I know when I moved here, and was living up in Kula, water out of the tap looked like watered down iced tea, had to boil it before using for cooking or drinking. And the beer thing is no joke, historically beer was considered way safer to drink than water, because beer has to be boiled before it's fermented, hence, no contaminents, e-coli bacteria and all that other nasty stuff. Reverse osmosis system with a backup filtration device at the faucet and you should be 110% good. Think the water in Kihei was a little questionable today, so I'm going with the backup system..

All that, and no Hawaiian or pidgen----------
Aloha and okolemaluna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Didn't they do a water taste test a while back, and Honolulu water out of the tap was rated right up there with the expensive bottled stuff? I know when I moved here, and was living up in Kula, water out of the tap looked like watered down iced tea, had to boil it before using for cooking or drinking. And the beer thing is no joke, historically beer was considered way safer to drink than water, because beer has to be boiled before it's fermented, hence, no contaminents, e-coli bacteria and all that other nasty stuff. Reverse osmosis system with a backup filtration device at the faucet and you should be 110% good. Think the water in Kihei was a little questionable today, so I'm going with the backup system..

All that, and no Hawaiian or pidgen----------
Aloha and okolemaluna
we receive water quality reports every so often. i drink the tap--haven't had any problems. must be good water because it takes 25 years, yes 25 years, for it to filter down into the aquifers (don't know if that's the correct term).

i wasn't kidding about that whiskey either. scotch and soda sounds good about now. or maybe bombay and tonic. aw, i don't drink hard liquor or beer hardly anymore. ever since i found out that i have hypertension and high cholesterol, i've been watching my diet. had two glasses of white wine back in june. haven't had hard liquor in nearly two years.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:05 AM

71 posts, read 497,864 times
I think if you drink catchment water and do a whiskey chaser it should kill anything that might try to getcha.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Very good point. Wonder where I can get catchment water in Kihei???

Aloha

Old 11-10-2007, 01:37 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn 2 Paradise View Post
I think if you drink catchment water and do a whiskey chaser it should kill anything that might try to getcha.
yep. that's what i'm talking about.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 PM

144 posts, read 735,929 times
I wouldn't drink it. I heard a story recently of some people in Puna finding a dead Norwegian rat in their catchment tank. It was so swollen it was the size of a cat.

Ugh. Gross!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:48 PM

71 posts, read 497,864 times
oh goodness! With stories like that...ugh! I don't even want to ponder it any longer. I have seen some tanks that look completely enclosed. I haven't read the literature from Cynthia yet. Will print it off at work on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island