Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:44 PM

850 posts, read 4,362,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
Yes I imagine at safeway it is, but I was referring to Hilo farmers market

i know you were referring to hilo farmers market. i was telling of my personal experience here in kailua, o'ahu. our farmers' markets are better priced most times compared to the safeways and foodlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Living Hawaii

This link might help you. We visit Hawaii two weeks each year and live in northeast USA. We love to visit and it is definitely paradise, but could not afford to live there permanently. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 33,403 times
I am researching lot prices and housing in Hilo and seems to me that there are a ton of houses from 30k up to 350K and beyond. The smart money would be to by a less expensive house and increase your annual budgeted income. If you bought a 50k house and had 300k invested earning income added with your 20k annual income your financially set. Plus You will want to do something besides just live, money is everywhere.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 PM

71 posts, read 497,769 times
I did a very small random sampling of grocery store items from a sales add for the BI and safeway or Albertson's here in Oregon. So far, potato chips and tampax are cheaper in HI and Lipton Ice Tea and Pantene Shampoo are the same sale price. I have a huge sheet of stuff I am going to take with me to the store next time and I will get back to you. Oregon has no sales tax however and that would need to be taken into consideration of course.

Aloha,
Sharlee

Old 11-23-2007, 12:33 AM

203 posts, read 1,357,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn 2 Paradise View Post
I did a very small random sampling of grocery store items from a sales add for the BI and safeway or Albertson's here in Oregon. So far, potato chips and tampax are cheaper in HI and Lipton Ice Tea and Pantene Shampoo are the same sale price. I have a huge sheet of stuff I am going to take with me to the store next time and I will get back to you. Oregon has no sales tax however and that would need to be taken into consideration of course.

Aloha,
Sharlee
The only items I found outrageous were milk (5-6 a gallon) and cereal (Brand name about $9 a box) But of course those can be avoided...

Old 11-23-2007, 11:28 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrong2000 View Post
I am researching lot prices and housing in Hilo and seems to me that there are a ton of houses from 30k up to 350K and beyond. The smart money would be to by a less expensive house and increase your annual budgeted income. If you bought a 50k house and had 300k invested earning income added with your 20k annual income your financially set. Plus You will want to do something besides just live, money is everywhere.

Be cautious of any prices that low...you are likely looking at unpermitted cabins in a subdivision outside town or a leasehold condo near Banyan Drive.

If someone asked what I currently consider the low end for home prices, including Puna district, I'd say 200K, give or take. There are a few places where prices will be lower, but I'd also encourage that anyone new to the island thoroughly research the areas where you will find these...Small lots or long commutes can influence your perception of value.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Really suggest you come visit before committing. HI is not for everyone. (I was there for most of the 80's). Don't forget to add to your budget the burgeoning cost of airfare, which is finally starting to reflect the rise in petroleum prices. HI real estate is more volatile than most. It was up in the 'sixties. down in the 70's, up in the 80's, down in the 90's and was booming until recently which means...but far more volatile on Oahu than on the Big Island. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I've retiring soon on $40k/yr. I'm single and would love to return to HI (lived there as a kid - Oahu). I have a similar situation with enough cash to pay for a condo/house. I have medical insurance via the military retirement system. I doubt if I could live on the Big Island or Oahu on $40k. The price of insurance on the home, the car, taxes on the home in addition the things Jimbo listed - would be too much to afford, IMO.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:20 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
The only items I found outrageous were milk (5-6 a gallon) and cereal (Brand name about $9 a box) But of course those can be avoided...
Curious if Netgrocer or similar type of websites are used by folks in HI? Not sure if it is cost effective as you have to pay postage. I guess with paying prices like that, I'd change my lifestyle and eat stuff that wasn't expensive. Like you said, those can be avoided.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:23 PM

71 posts, read 497,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I've retiring soon on $40k/yr. I'm single and would love to return to HI (lived there as a kid - Oahu). I have a similar situation with enough cash to pay for a condo/house. I have medical insurance via the military retirement system. I doubt if I could live on the Big Island or Oahu on $40k. The price of insurance on the home, the car, taxes on the home in addition the things Jimbo listed - would be too much to afford, IMO.
IMO, I think you could do it. Not only do it, but do it well. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island