Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Due

245 posts, read 379,855 times

Advertisements

Now you're in trouble: exposing secrets....

Funny!

I still like diamond mining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 06:10 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
It is kinda strange looking if you Google Earth it. There seems to be multiple structures with cars parked around each one but they don't really look like houses, more like offices, workshops or laboratories or something. Then there are long skinny somethings that almost look like antenna tower parts on the ground, maybe some sort of fence? Horizontal antenna? Tractor trailer? It is kinda strange looking. Anyone gonna go up the hill and ask what they're doing? Inquiring minds want to know! Scanning for Elvis sightings, do you think?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Anyone gonna go up the hill and ask what they're doing? Inquiring minds want to know!
Maybe OD and MD can get together and drive up there, do a thorough investigation?

On second thought, perhaps it's better left a mystery

Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Maybe OD and MD can get together and drive up there, do a thorough investigation?

On second thought, perhaps it's better left a mystery

The X files - Intro - Opening theme - Orginal HQ - YouTube

Old 03-23-2014, 01:46 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Last night i was deep in thought about "what can this be?" When it struck me between the eyes. No one has seen a human during the day time there? So maybe itz da Menehune!

Sometimes we forget to look for the obvious.

Hawaiian Encyclopedia*:*The Menehune: An Ancient Race

^^^^ for our not yet Hawai'i friends, and Malihini.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Then there are long skinny somethings that almost look like antenna tower parts on the ground, maybe some sort of fence? Horizontal antenna?
Those are long conveyor belts that are repositioned as needed to carry the volcanic rock around to the various crushers and sorters, where the diamonds are sifted out.

The same equipment can be seen at lower elevations in the artichoke fields at harvest time, carrying the ripe chokes back to the trucks for delivery to the packing houses. Renting them out is a way to mitigate the high capital investment the Zales Brothers have had to make up atop HOVE, and to offset the high insurance premiums they pay due to the risks of volcanic eruption caused by the deep, deep holes they are digging.

But they assure us that the homes in Hovela, as the happy residents like to call it, are safe in any case. Just because.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:17 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Can you post a link? I have no idea what location you're referring to but I want to see. Having spent countless hours looking at aerial photos, I might be able to figure out what it is

There are crop circles on Maui https://goo.gl/maps/G8520

Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Just go to the VERY top of HOVE, Kau, on the Bigger Island. Weird stuff on the northern end. But, it's HOVE, nothing unusual. You really owe yourself a visit up that way next time you're on the Big Island. What is odd is the amount of money involved in getting all that crap up there... It's a long drive down to the hiway. Well, sort of, hiway.

Aloha

Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Can you post a link? I have no idea what location you're referring to but I want to see. Having spent countless hours looking at aerial photos, I might be able to figure out what it is

There are crop circles on Maui https://goo.gl/maps/G8520
Those are simply irrigated fields. The long boom swings around in a circle and the water comes out of various sprinkler heads along the boom. Those circles are all over the Midwest and South, especially the drier areas.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:24 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Well, there can't be crop circles in HOVE. No soil + no water = no crop circles. Maybe it's rainmakers up there? That would at least be useful!

To find HOVE go to a satellite picture and then to South Point on the Island of Hawaii. There is a big group of roads down there which are set on a diagonal to the Belt Highway. At the top of those roads are the strange buildings and cars.

We also don't know how old the satellite pictures are. The ones for our house at the other end of the island are several years old, they may have already finished whatever they are doing up above HOVE.

Anyone have a link for current satellite pictures? The weather folks seem to have real time data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island