Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,266,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdupell View Post
Thinking of making the move with nothing lined up job wise- no too smart i know, leaving East Coast behind-but i need to scratch this itch..
Thank You---you can smack me around if you like-- Bunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdupell View Post
Wow, thanks for great info--- I'm sure that EVERY person that moves to Islands leave.
Does the phrase "you asked for it" mean anything to you?

Moving to Hawai'i without a plan, with nothing lined up, is pretty much a proven formula for failure any time of year. But to announce that you're going to do something so foolish in mid-March, which tends to be Silly Season around here, when folks in the Snow Belt are totally sick of winter, but winter isn't totally over yet, so they go nuts with cabin fever and the fantasies overwhelm their common sense, and then to cap it all off with an invitation to abuse you, well surely, sir, the outcome must be predictable, no?

Not every itch needs to be scratched. Sometimes the best way to handle an itch is to put a little Calamine lotion on it, and then get on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM

12 posts, read 29,272 times
I find it amazing that anyone would even attempt to move to the islands without having done EXTENSIVE RESEARCH ???? We do research of some sort every day . And we still feel like we need to do more.
We are 6 months into our 2 year plan and are trying to find out every thing we can. I keep track of the VOG and HVO reports daily and my wife is in charge of tracking weather in different areas. Learning all can about LFA's ,catchment systems ,cespools...Flora and Fauna.
Not to mention shipping cars and household goods.
Homework, Homework, Homework!!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
Sometimes you get just as good of results by just jumping in. Who was it that said most good plans don't survive the first engagement? Might have been Sun Tzu? Ooops, nope, Helmuth Von Moltke. (Ain't the internet a wondrous place?)

Oh well, sometimes you can plan too much, sometimes you don't have enough plans. But, if you're good at winging it, then why not? Just get a round trip ticket and keep all the bridges intact.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagtek View Post
...Finding a job here is tough. REal tough. I've known people who were born here who have moved to N. Dakota to find work. It is that bad. You pretty much need to come here with the idea of creating your own employment somehow. That means having a skill and being willing to work hard and establish a reputation. Easier said than done.

Do not come here without an exit strategy. Nobody freezes here but life under a tarp in the rain/hot sun is no picnic. But test fate and give it a try. You might get lucky. Fate works in strange ways. Worst case scenario is your visit turns into a pleasant vacation on a round trip ticket.

Hawaii is not paradise because it has people on it. But it is as nice a place as exists on this earth. It really is. Coming out here and managing to stick is a real trick.
Well said.

Jobs? What jobs? We don't need no stinkin' jobs!
Peruse Big Island craigslist ads for people selling vehicles, furniture... and note how many saying they are moving off-island! That should be a good clue.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM

11 posts, read 15,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoScrilla View Post
I find it amazing that anyone would even attempt to move to the islands without having done EXTENSIVE RESEARCH ???? We do research of some sort every day . And we still feel like we need to do more.
We are 6 months into our 2 year plan and are trying to find out every thing we can. I keep track of the VOG and HVO reports daily and my wife is in charge of tracking weather in different areas. Learning all can about LFA's ,catchment systems ,cespools...Flora and Fauna.
Not to mention shipping cars and household goods.
Homework, Homework, Homework!!!!
By the time your two years are up you might find the thrill of the move is over from you both from doing so much research. Just a friendly hint, the islands are unpredictable in every way. Just as you think you have the weather figured out it'll change. Right when you finish your averaging where VOG will hit the winds will change. Most of all the minute you sign on the dotted line, pay out your down payment, someone with twelve pitbulls are going to move right next door. What you need moreover graphs, charts, wiki links is an aloha spirit, a willingness to accept change and flexibility to adapt to an ever changing environment.

Sure savings are important, budgeting will ensure certain comforts however all your research will never prepare you for island life.

Relax, enjoy the journey.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 15,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Well said.

Jobs? What jobs? We don't need no stinkin' jobs!
Peruse Big Island craigslist ads for people selling vehicles, furniture... and note how many saying they are moving off-island! That should be a good clue.
Most of all, those leaving the island I have met are the ones who planned for every scenario yet ignored the most important factor of island life, to live and let live. Unless there are extreme cases of abuse or urgent medical or fire type situations those of you plotting your island retreats need to practice everyday you say nothing, you do nothing, you smile and wave whatever the circumstances. Helps too that you do not repeat often how you did this or that where you came from. People from the islands have special skills & education newcomers do not appreciate or respect. Keep your W T F expressions to yourselves. Really, certain stares are considered aggressive or an invite to get your butt kicked or your car.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 AM

4 posts, read 4,105 times
Thanks Everyone

Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM

20 posts, read 30,651 times
we did it with a bit more planning then most, we came out to the island a number of times checked both sides of the island. bought a house on the east side (now renting it out) bought a 2nd one and sold it but came over on the Kona side and knew this was good for us to live and bought condo, as far as jobs we did not have one when we came over but we did do a lot of emailing and talking with ppl before we came and when we arrived the wife started the 2nd day here and I started 3 weeks after being here so the point to our story is you can come over with out (job) and make it as long as you have skills needed here and take the time and respect to talk with ppl here and have a good idea on what you want to do , and like everyone else here have a exit plan in the back of your mind just in case but don't let that "exit" plan defeat you trying hard to make it stick here.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,784,712 times
I remember back in the 90's I moved to Alaska. No job. Sold or gave away just about everything I owned, loaded up the car and drove there. Had never been there before. On my second day I proclaimed, "I love it here, I'm going to die in Alaska!" (I meant of old age). And for 15 years, that's exactly how I felt. I got a great job, started a family, and was living the dream.

Then I found someplace better. The Big Island. Being older and wiser I planned the move out better. Made lots of visits first, got a job lined up, all that stuff that's more important when you're older and wiser. I love it here, and I'm going to die in Hawaii (of old age).

I wonder if I had posted that I was going to Alaska on an Alaska forum 18 years ago and then after I left somebody said "aha! we were right! He couldn't make it and he left! Only lasted 15 years!" Probably not, because there weren't a lot of internet forums 18 years ago.

My point is, life is an adventure. If you move to Hawaii, or Alaska, or anywhere with that attitude, and an escape plan, you can spend a year or a decade or a nearly a lifetime somewhere and either decide to stay, go back, or try somewhere else. If you want to try this adventure with the truck and the motorcycle, then bring them both. If you need to sell one to buy a parachute, then do that. But never give up on any dream or idea just because somebody tells you that you can't do something.

Just because somebody comes to Hawaii and then leaves again, it doesn't mean they hated it. Sometimes it just means that the world is a big place, and they haven't seen enough of it yet to decide where they want to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: