Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times

Advertisements

I am sorry I am posting here as a future tourist, but I am not coming up with good options using a Google search.

My daughter and I are going to Hawaii this summer (her request) for our vacation. We are staying in Kailua-Kona. Her birthday will happen on our vacation, so that day is all her's as far as planning goes and the big thing she wants to do is go horseback riding in North Kohala that day (after maybe going to the hotel pool in the morning).

Is there a good restaurant for kids in that area that will also be a bit celebratory for a birthday? Or maybe one in Kailua-Kona since we will be heading back that way after riding. She's going to be 10 and she's good about restaurant eating. But I don't want to bring her to a "boring" place. I'd hoped to bring her to a Lu'au on her birthday night, but I haven't found one on a Wednesday night that has been recommended (so that's a welcome option too).

Thanks!

By the way, in case anyone is wondering. She will have a birthday party with her friends before we leave. Summer birthday--we learned to have the party before school lets out or no one shows! This is just going to be the two of us--but I still hope to make it feel special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,186 times
Wish I could be of more help, but most of the places (of which I'm aware) that aren't boring target the adult crowd.

A favorite is Blue Dragon Blue Dragon Restaurant & Spa This is in North Kohala/Kawaihae/
...check their Calendar: not boring and have seen children there. Some evenings they have live musical entertainment: including local Diva's, a well-known (but not current) old-rock band, also local Hawaiian music artists.
Lot of fun: sing along, kids dancing with their parents, etc.

The food is different and great.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
You could go to the Hilton Waikoloa Village and watch the Dolphins.....

Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You could go to the Hilton Waikoloa Village and watch the Dolphins.....
Maybe buy the "swim with the dolphins" video package?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
See if they have one of those cowboy dinners at Kahua Ranch. If you're doing horses that day, may as well continue the theme. Kahua Ranch Dinner

Old 04-02-2014, 03:02 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
@jillabean

Aloha, My very good friend took her son (teen) to this resturant. She said it was really nice with alot of vintage hawai'i stuff, it has a plantation feel.

Jackie Rey's | Home

She also recommended Eddie Aikau Resturant, it had a surfer theme and was connected to a surfing museum. Eddie Aikau was a local surfing legand on Oahu. He was my generations idol. Unfortantly they closed in 2012.

Also you no need to apologise, thats what brings us Aloha(love) and joy. Also you may want to check out atlantis sub, my friend said her son enjoyed it.

Im an Oahu boy myself. Anyway enjoy your trip. Aloha.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 AM

Thank you everyone! She told me she likes the cowboy ranch idea and the dolphin idea and the sub idea... now she just needs to decide. Thanks again! I can't wait to visit your beautiful island!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Why decide? Won't you be here more than one day? When folks ask me to decide between things like that, I just say "yes".

Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 AM

Thanks hotzcatz... oh, we are going to do a lot--probably go to all the restaurants recommended here too. We are going to be there for a week. It's just what she wants to do on her exact birthday that she needs to figure out since it's the big special day on the trip. Although it sounds like she has. She really wants to ride the horses and go to the ranch. So we are going to make a day out of it. Ride horses in Waipi'o Valley and then go to the ranch afterwards (and just kind of chill out in the time between the two).

Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
You could go to Bite Me at the Honokohau Harbor for local flavor. Try Huggos on the Rocks --the dining room is outside on the sand. Or the right (aka cheaper) side of the Kona Inn to watch the sunset. There are a ton of fun restaurants lining Ali'i Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island