Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
No one heard about it because there was nothing to hear about. The articles that I've read clearly state that the wave activity would not be large enough to trigger warnings.

Tsunami advisory no longer in effect for Hawaii following 8.2 ea - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff
I believe the point we were trying to make was you don't need a tsunami wave to have trouble or issues. Sometimes a surge or raise in water levels can cause alot of damage. Take a look at my first video, that was caused by a surge of water, not a big wave.

It is understandable that residents of Oahu general don't need to fear tsunamis because you haven't really had to deal with the effects of one, at least not one in modern history that i know of. But the Big Island is another story. Really with Hawai'is history of flash flooding, its no joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Spreading a rumor - thread Title: "Tsunami Warning 12 hours" and then having a bunch of people who don't live here talk doom and gloom when the people who live here are quite capable of hearing sirens and watching the news isn't productive.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Spreading a rumor - thread Title: "Tsunami Warning 12 hours" and then having a bunch of people who don't live here talk doom and gloom when the people who live here are quite capable of hearing sirens and watching the news isn't productive.
Nor is an attitude of indifference and lack of empathy or a pretentious attitude productive and it wasn't all people who don't live on Hawai'i you were pretty rude with R_Cowgirl who sounded like her or her ohana experienced past tsunami events and her feelings were real and the warning was real and i believe people generally from outside acted out of concern then anything.

Personally i believe you should work on having aloha and work on the positive values that people of Hawai'i are known for instead of who from here and who is not(which really isn't used in the matter that you use it for). Remember its not about ones race or location thats important, but ones attitude or character.

PS not my intention for you to lose face.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:05 PM

And im also talking to myself, i need work on my aloha and other things.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I heard the surf's gonna rock. (you guys crack me up)

Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
The concern on my part is very real as my children live very close to the water in Waikiki. I also have ohana that lost children in Laupahoehoe in the Hilo Tsunami.

Beyond that, an earthquake of this magnitude is no laughing matter and could be a sign of the Rim of Fire adjusting itself again. Natural Hazards Viewer | ngdc.noaa.gov Seeing as how Hawaii sits smack dab in the very center of all that earthquake activity, being mindful of wave activity is just good common sense.

As one article on Chile stated:

Quote:
According to the University of Chile National Seismological Center, yesterday's quake registered a prodigious 8.2 on the Richter scale at a depth of just 38.9 kilometers.

To give you an idea of the magnitude, yesterday's 'megasismo' (as they call it here) ranks among the top 50 most powerful earthquakes in recorded history, going back to the 1300s. Pretty powerful.
It is not fearmongering or being a drama queen to be alert to the potentiality of a massive tsunami after an event like the one that happened in Chile. This is especially true since in the past week we also saw a 5.1 earthquake in California. The tectonic plates are on the move. I was in downtown Honolulu for the famous 6 inch Tsunami in May 1986. We were in an office building on the 20th floor. When the warning about the earthquake came in and then the subsequent possibility of a tsunami, I sent my entire office home.

What was seared in my mind at the time was the casual way people responded to the potential tsunami. Did we have one? Nah, not that time. We DID have ocean surges that caused damage, messed with boats in harbors, came over roads and bridges. But nothing like Japan. This time. To be numb to the potential of Mother Nature's fury is foolish beyond belief.

The real lesson was what happened when they predicted a 60 foot wave around 3pm. And this is why I told my kids to nevermind the naysayers. If you hear about a watch or warning, get to high ground and deal with the aftermath if nothing happens. No wave? You can always get back home. Wave hits? You are alive and safe. Why respond immediately? Because panicky people are dangerous and unpredictable and you don't wanna be in the middle of them if a wave does hit.

I remember the news that night as I watched from the safety of my home high in the hills. News helicopters showed traffic on Ala Moana and Nimitz was at a complete standstill. Everyone was panicking and left their offices at the same time. Traffic on Kapiolani and Alakea, same thing. All the freeways were parking lots. Had a tsunami hit at that point, none of those people stuck in traffic would have been able to outrun it. The ocean is fierce and anyone who lives on an island knows the saying, "Never turn your back on the ocean." I take every potential warning seriously. No one should be made to feel foolish because they took precautions to protect themselves and their loved ones. The next one COULD match Japan. We don't know. And, again, since apparently some people didn't actually CLICK on the link I put into my original post: at the time of my posting it WAS being called a "Warning/Watch" ... so.... just sayin'

So whtviper, you can make all the fun you want. No pilikia on my part. But when people as far away as South Carolina and the mainland care more about what's going on than you do, perhaps Hawaiian by heart has a good point. (And thanks for the Props HBH).

Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I for one appreciate concerns expressed by those who care about me, whether they live in California or Florida. Perhaps they think that I might not have heard the news, but in any case I would rather that they contact me or post something on social media, than totally ignore a possible hazardous condition. My friends in Colorado don't know that I live at 1200 feet and am five miles from the ocean; they only know that I live in "Hawaii".

White Viper questions the title "Tsunami Warning". Perhaps it would have been more accurate to state that it was a "Tsunami Advisory", but in any case a "warning" is advance notice of a possible occurrence. And we did receive both email and text messages of a Tsunami Advisory from the County of Hawaii Civil Defense as follows:

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has issued a Tsunami Advisory for the State of Hawaii. This Tsunami Advisory is based on ocean buoy data from an 8.2 earthquake that occurred off the coast of Chile at approximately 1:47 this afternoon. Although a destructive Tsunami is not expected, sea level changes and strong currents may occur along all coasts and present with hazardous conditions to swimmers, boaters, and persons near the shore and in harbors or marinas. These hazards may continue for several hours. Estimated arrival of these possible changes and hazardous conditions for Hawaii Island is 3:24 AM tomorrow morning. All County Beach Parks will remain closed until 8:00 AM tomorrow to insure the safety of all beach goers.

R_Cowgirl is the voice of reason and wisdom here. I wish that I could give her more rep points!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:05 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
You have to admit that it is rather absurd/comical for someone on the East Coast of the mainland to feel compelled to issue a warning to Hawaii residents of their impending 'doom' due to a seismic event in Chile. It's as if folks on the mainland sometimes don't realize that we here in Hawaii have access to all the same warning/tracking devices that they have. Just another mainland mis-conception of what does, and does not, go on over here.

Kind of like the cannibals

And Cowgirl, I had just gotten back to Maui from Honolulu for the 'Big One' of 1986. Manager of my condo came by to issue an evacuation warning, I was just about to sit down and have a nice cold one, told him I'd 'Get right on it'.

Last edited by Jungjohann; 04-02-2014 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Didn't want to irritate OD with a SP error, Grammar's one thing.....

Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Jeez Cowgirl. We weren't laughing about the earthquake. We were rolling on the floor of the absurdity of a nonexistent Tsunami Warning by a bunch of people who don't live here and the people who do live here saying there wasn't.

We also laughed how absurd it was to suggest we only had 12 hours of safety on CDF.

Why make up nonexistent Warnings

Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
The concern on my part is very real as my children live very close to the water in Waikiki. I also have ohana that lost children in Laupahoehoe in the Hilo Tsunami.

Beyond that, an earthquake of this magnitude is no laughing matter and could be a sign of the Rim of Fire adjusting itself again. Natural Hazards Viewer | ngdc.noaa.gov Seeing as how Hawaii sits smack dab in the very center of all that earthquake activity, being mindful of wave activity is just good common sense.

As one article on Chile stated:

It is not fearmongering or being a drama queen to be alert to the potentiality of a massive tsunami after an event like the one that happened in Chile. This is especially true since in the past week we also saw a 5.1 earthquake in California. The tectonic plates are on the move. I was in downtown Honolulu for the famous 6 inch Tsunami in May 1986. We were in an office building on the 20th floor. When the warning about the earthquake came in and then the subsequent possibility of a tsunami, I sent my entire office home.

What was seared in my mind at the time was the casual way people responded to the potential tsunami. Did we have one? Nah, not that time. We DID have ocean surges that caused damage, messed with boats in harbors, came over roads and bridges. But nothing like Japan. This time. To be numb to the potential of Mother Nature's fury is foolish beyond belief.

The real lesson was what happened when they predicted a 60 foot wave around 3pm. And this is why I told my kids to nevermind the naysayers. If you hear about a watch or warning, get to high ground and deal with the aftermath if nothing happens. No wave? You can always get back home. Wave hits? You are alive and safe. Why respond immediately? Because panicky people are dangerous and unpredictable and you don't wanna be in the middle of them if a wave does hit.

I remember the news that night as I watched from the safety of my home high in the hills. News helicopters showed traffic on Ala Moana and Nimitz was at a complete standstill. Everyone was panicking and left their offices at the same time. Traffic on Kapiolani and Alakea, same thing. All the freeways were parking lots. Had a tsunami hit at that point, none of those people stuck in traffic would have been able to outrun it. The ocean is fierce and anyone who lives on an island knows the saying, "Never turn your back on the ocean." I take every potential warning seriously. No one should be made to feel foolish because they took precautions to protect themselves and their loved ones. The next one COULD match Japan. We don't know. And, again, since apparently some people didn't actually CLICK on the link I put into my original post: at the time of my posting it WAS being called a "Warning/Watch" ... so.... just sayin'

So whtviper, you can make all the fun you want. No pilikia on my part. But when people as far away as South Carolina and the mainland care more about what's going on than you do, perhaps Hawaiian by heart has a good point. (And thanks for the Props HBH).

Thank you, I apologize for causing alarm, I was concerned for my fellow man, I live in a flood zone and would certainly want to know if a tsunami was coming my way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island