Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

A lot of times whether the price of vegetables is less expensive at the regular groceries or the farmer's market will depend on which farmer's market you're at. The one at Hilo bay front is usually less expensive than the usual grocery stores. The Filipino stores have really good prices on vegetables, too, for when the farmer's market isn't open.

As OpenD mentioned, the KTA grocery has local produce. It's their "Mountain Apple" brand which is the local stuff. We like KTA and Foodland for grocery stores. As well as Malama Market. But once you get into the community, the a lot of things will be sourced outside of the grocery stores.

No squirrels here, so no worries about eating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 04:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
I would inquire further about health care services for yourselves, as when I last lived in Hilo this was an issue. Many of the doctors, as you stated, do not take new patients, and many have stopped taking Medicare. I ended up going to the Bay Clinic in Hilo, which was less than satisfactory. On most days there was no doctor, only a nurse practitioner, which is fine for some things and not for others.

It's smart to get a good physical before you go. On this issue I'm a real Negative Nancy, as this is what has prevented us from moving back to Hilo. There is a doctor shortage in the state, and the worst areas are Hilo, Puna and other areas of the Big Island. The message boards here are very good for most info, but I suggest you call around to some of the listed doctors and ask them directly what is going on. Also, it's important to know that if something serious does happen, you will need to be going over to O'ahu for treatment, as the Hilo hospital does not have facilities for many health conditions. This one I know from first hand exp[experience.

The last time I checked on the new patient issue I talked to someone at the Red Cross in Hilo, and they said that their doctor had moved and she hadn't been able to get another regular physician after one year of being on waiting lists. You may find the link below useful even though it's from 2 years ago. My wife just got back from a 3 week stay in Hilo and said that nothing had changed regarding health care availability.

http://www.hawaii247.com/2011/12/21/...alth-services/

Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM

13 posts, read 22,302 times
He he. Funny comment about the squirrels. They are epidemic here.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I would inquire further about health care services for yourselves, as when I last lived in Hilo this was an issue. Many of the doctors, as you stated, do not take new patients, and many have stopped taking Medicare. I ended up going to the Bay Clinic in Hilo, which was less than satisfactory. On most days there was no doctor, only a nurse practitioner, which is fine for some things and not for others.

It's smart to get a good physical before you go. On this issue I'm a real Negative Nancy, as this is what has prevented us from moving back to Hilo. There is a doctor shortage in the state, and the worst areas are Hilo, Puna and other areas of the Big Island. The message boards here are very good for most info, but I suggest you call around to some of the listed doctors and ask them directly what is going on. Also, it's important to know that if something serious does happen, you will need to be going over to O'ahu for treatment, as the Hilo hospital does not have facilities for many health conditions. This one I know from first hand exp[experience.

The last time I checked on the new patient issue I talked to someone at the Red Cross in Hilo, and they said that their doctor had moved and she hadn't been able to get another regular physician after one year of being on waiting lists. You may find the link below useful even though it's from 2 years ago. My wife just got back from a 3 week stay in Hilo and said that nothing had changed regarding health care availability.

Critical action needed to address health services | Hawaii 24/7 | Hawaii247.com | Hawaii's News Now – News, Weather, Sports from the Big Island
Thank you for this reality check. I hope to call around on Monday.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM

According to staff of one pediatrician's office, there is only one pediatric endocrinologist on the island, Kona side, but they do not recommend that one for reasons not specified. They do recommend one in Honolulu, a doctor Greg Uramoto. For whatever reason, they like him. And he has good patient reviews online. At least it gives me one thumbs-up to keep in mind when we arrive and start setting things up.
Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM

74 posts, read 82,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZel1051 View Post
Hello!
Either way, I figure that we will spend double for groceries in Hilo than what we spend in Michigan. Here it's about $60-100 a week, so that means $120-200. Does that sound right?

One other question: doctors are in short supply and often not accepting new patients, right? So we are all having our physicals before we go.

Did you inadvertently leave out a zero or will the 3 of you be dieting on the vast pastures of Big Island?
(There was a time when $1000.00 was the down-payment on a car; now it's the sales tax)

The doctors got fed up of treating Big Islanders - its always the same malady - brokedom
(The biggest upwardly trending market aka bullmarket in America currently is FOODSTAMPS)

46.5 million Americans are on food stamps.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 AM

21 posts, read 39,183 times
I was @ the Hilo Farmers Market yesterday & loaded up a cooler for $10. Enough stuff for a week of dinner salads, breakfast fruit & some dinner veggies for 2.

I do see what has been said about the more commercial vendors & I did buy from the smaller vendors which actually had better looking stuff.

Puka Puka for lunch is always a bonus!

There is no substitute for conversations with local shop keepers, street vendors & the people you stand in line with. If you laugh a little & let them know you mean no harm they are some of the nicest people. Never be afraid to strike up a conversation.

I am only here visiting but try to live as a local as possible when I am here.

Just my .02 :-)

Old 05-24-2014, 02:41 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Community is community where ever you find it. It's also hard to have community with a corporation.

It's gotta be a better vegetable if it is grown by someone who will be chatting with the customer who buys it. More connectedness more care and concern. It's better all around. Plus the veggies usually taste better, too!

Have you noticed how they no longer talk about the flavor of things? They tell you how many anti-oxidants it has or how many yadayadas of whatever is in it, but nobody says it tastes good anymore. What's with that?

Old 05-24-2014, 06:18 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZel1051 View Post
Hello!
My family and I are moving to the Hilo area in about a month.
It's been over a month now. How about a status update? Are you close to moving now? Or, did you have a change of plans?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Hello all,
Been crazy busy trying to get everything taken care of over here. We will arrive in Hilo in less than a week. We have set up a place to stay temporarily and a possible more permanent place too.
I appreciate your positive comments regarding veggies and the market- I can't wait to visit it!
We met a person this week who was raised on the Big Island. He and his family were kind enough to give us some more great pointers and info.
We are planning on buying a vehicle once we arrive, something with 4 wheel drive. We have a rental to use in the meantime.
That's it for now. Many other things we will have to arrange when we arrive. I'm sure that it will all be quite an experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island