Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That guys blog, and pseudo-observations, are absolute BS. We have NEVER had 43 days of vog. NEVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
That guys blog, and pseudo-observations, are absolute BS. We have NEVER had 43 days of vog. NEVER.
I dunno, but she said that she (her partner's name is Mike, and her picture is wahine) has lived on Maui 13 years (as of a year ago), and her blog seems down-to-earth and realistic to me. She wrote a follow-up to that post that coincidentally addressed your comment...

Quote:
The thing with the VOG is that it’s so in insidious. Most places on the island, you don’t even know it’s there. We can go to downtown Kahului (where the airport is),and not see the VOG at, all because we are IN it. We can go down to Kihei, or to Wailea, on the south part of the island, and it’s the same way. But we come up the mountain and have a view of the valley, and bingo! there it is, hanging over Maui like a gauzy blanket. The shorthand at our house now revolves around the VOG. The question, “Is it thick?” means, is it time to close up all the windows?

I am on the email notification list for the island’s HC&S sugarcane company. This year during our 45 day VOG seige, they would send an email that said they were going to burn in the morning between 4:00am and 6:30am, and then a few hours later another email notification would come, saying “burning suspended due to weather.” They’re not saying due to VOG, but that’s what it means. They canceled the burning so many times I lost track, and the upside to the VOG siege was they were not burning cane. So it’s a choice between VOG and cane-smoke, I guess.

Brief Relief | Your Daily Dose of Paradise with Jamaica Michaels–A Maui Blog

Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
This article sums it up nicely.

"The association’s “State of the Air 2013” report card gave Hawaii County an “F” despite a decrease in the number of days with unhealthy particle pollution — from 23.5 days in 2012 to 12.5 this year. Particle pollution is a mix of very tiny solid and liquid particles in the air. If they’re small enough, they can stay in the air for long periods, Businger said."

Vog gives Hawaii island a failing grade for air quality - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"Honolulu is the only county in the state that collected data on ozone levels. There were no days of unhealthy levels of ozone, or smog, which is the most widespread air pollutant."

Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I did find this surprising... Hawai'i has a higher rate of asthma than the mainland...

Quote:
I’ve written about this in the past, but I really did move to Maui for the “clean” air. So I was shocked to find out that Hawaii has a high incidence of asthma, and particularly the children are at risk. You can check it out at http://www.CDC.gov/asthma/stateprofiles/asthma . An estimated 36,738 children have asthma in Hawaii. Child lifetime asthma prevalence in Hawaii is 18.6%, compared with the 38 participating states rates of 13.3%.

There have also been questions about whether Hawaii is a good place for those with allergies. See also: Denver or Hawaii for asthma? – Allergy Climates and Seasons .

I’ve sat in my chiropractor’s office, and listened to parents bringing their children in for adjustments, saying, “I pulled the children out of school today because of the VOG, and they’re doing so poorly, I brought them in for an adjustment.” Many Hawaii schools have open windows and no air conditioning. I spoke with the man who owns Air Filters Hawaii, and he was hired to go to the Big Island and fit the schools over there with air filteration systems for the VOG. I think Maui should be next.

Brief Relief | Your Daily Dose of Paradise with Jamaica Michaels–A Maui Blog

Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Others have given you some great responses. VOG was one of the reasons we left Kona. It was always there and not such a big deal, but when the extra vent opened up several years back, it got noticeably worse. It got worse while I was on a trip to the mainland, and when I landed back in Kona after the trip, I could smell it, feel it, and taste it in the air. It was really bad. We lived in Honaunau for a while and it was much worse there than it was in the Palisades area of North Kona, but it was noticeable both places. I wouldn't suggest it for your issues. I was also aware of the high rate of asthma in children in Hawai'i, both from reading about it and also from realizing that more than 3/4 the kids in each class I taught had asthma.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I did find this surprising... Hawai'i has a higher rate of asthma than the mainland...
I'm sure vog plays a major role, but mold and mildew are major asthma triggers. The west side has the vog, the east side has the mold/mildew.

Also, Hawaii ranks #5 in per capita cigarette smoking.

I did notice, that Hawaii did not make the top 100 worst places in the US for asthma:

http://www.aafa.org/pdfs/2014_AC_FinalPublicList1.pdf

Old 08-15-2014, 06:52 PM

25 posts, read 43,552 times
I also was concerned about VOG on Kona side.
After 6 months of checking and investigating.
we decided to move to Kauai or North Big Island.
I have breathing trouble and wanted a "drier" area.
So because the south end of Kauai was a bit more than we could afford,
we chose the BI.
After several days of driving, we narrowed it down to the Kohala area,
but since we didn't want so much rain,
we looked for a home in Waikoloa, Waimea (Kamuela), and Hawi areas.

We settled for Waikoloa.

You might want to decide on how much heat you can take.

The beach levels are in the 90's, Waikoloa is in the upper 80's, Waimea & Hawi are in the nice 70-80.
The nights are about 10F less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island