Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,511 times

Advertisements

Not sure why, but I never thought the Hawaii unemployment rate was under the national average.

1. Big Island unemployment rate down in July
    West Hawaii Today ‎- 15 hours ago
    Around Hawaii, Honolulu City and County's unemployment rate in July decreased to 4.3 percent, down from 4.5 percent in June; Maui County's ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Keep in mind that unemployment figures are notoriously bad at tracking long-term chronic unemployment, once unemployment benefits have been exhausted. There are some who say the "real" figures are double those mentioned in the article.

They also are generally useless at measuring underemployment, such as a laid off $35/hr tradesman working 19 hours a week at an $8/hr job to try to keep food on the table. There are lots and lots of 19 hour per week jobs, which skew the unemployment figures without actually providing full employment.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
We have been having record tourism the past few years.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Oahu has been having record tourism, however there's hotels being torn down in Kailua-Kona so maybe they aren't all the same on all the islands. But, I don't track tourism numbers, so maybe there's loads of them around.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
True, the Big Island has not joined the tourism bandwagon but average room rates at the high end resorts are way up even if only 60% full

Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Not sure why, but I never thought the Hawaii unemployment rate was under the national average.

1. Big Island unemployment rate down in July
    West Hawaii Today ‎- 15 hours ago
    Around Hawaii, Honolulu City and County's unemployment rate in July decreased to 4.3 percent, down from 4.5 percent in June; Maui County's ...
To make full disclosure, I do not live in Hawaii so I can't only speak to what I know is going on in Florida. My husband is a health care professional and once a person exhausts their unemployment benefits, people are then moved on to disability for "depression". That is the "catch all" that has been set up. So the unemployment numbers that are being reported in all states go down and the new disability enrollment, increase.

You can look into those numbers in Hawaii and I am sure that you will see the the same thing in that state as well.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Keep in mind, if you give up looking for a job on the island and move to Oahu or the mainland, that's one less unemployed person in the stats...

Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
To make full disclosure, I do not live in Hawaii so I can't only speak to what I know is going on in Florida. My husband is a health care professional and once a person exhausts their unemployment benefits, people are then moved on to disability for "depression". That is the "catch all" that has been set up. So the unemployment numbers that are being reported in all states go down and the new disability enrollment, increase.
Dubious? Yeah, I'm dubious. Very dubious. Might it have happened a few times in severe cases? Possibly. Enough times to move any stats? I seriously doubt it. I've never seen any official reports that would support this claim.

I have also talked to many, many people who have burned through their unemployment insurance benefits without being able to find work, who then just fall off the system and are no longer counted. Sure, it is depressing to almost everyone who reaches that point, but the deep sadness of situational depression is not in the same leagues as severe chronic depression, nor does it rise to (sink to?) the level of a crippling disability.

Quote:
You can look into those numbers in Hawaii and I am sure that you will see the the same thing in that state as well.
What numbers? You didn't offer any evidence at all, just mentioned something your husband said, and who knows what he knows? Sorry, without any proof being offered I'm filing your comment under "Fairy Tales." Or should it go under "Florida"?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,084 times
Interesting (to me): don't know anyone on BI that isn't working. In addition, some have enough work to start culling their customers.
Note: I'm not disputing the unemployment numbers.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
Interesting (to me): don't know anyone on BI that isn't working. In addition, some have enough work to start culling their customers.
Note: I'm not disputing the unemployment numbers.
I know a lot of people that do not "officially" have a job in Puna. That doesn't mean that they don't work - they work quite hard actually, but do side jobs for cash. They are not counted at all in any of the official reports. They are not looking for a job, have not been laid off, are not on disability...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: