Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM

252 posts, read 654,187 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard how large of a path this flow is wide Is it a mile, two miles wide or smaller/larger? It looks like the path is getting wider as it progreesses towards the ocean. Have been keeping up with civil defense updates as much as possible but some things I have not heard mention of or maybe have missed it.

We are off island for another 6 weeks - eeekkk wonder if we will have anything to come back to in Hawaiian Shores Rec.

Very nerve racking following the news from off island I can only imagine what it is like to be on island at this time.

I do feel this flow is going to make its way to the ocean and not stop anytime soon. One thing I do not know about Lava is once it flows by does the lava then start to harden? Meaning for instance should the lava go across hwy 130 how long once it passes can road crews begin working on the hwy to re-open it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 04:09 PM

575 posts, read 1,190,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Has anyone heard how large of a path this flow is wide Is it a mile, two miles wide or smaller/larger? It looks like the path is getting wider as it progreesses towards the ocean. Have been keeping up with civil defense updates as much as possible but some things I have not heard mention of or maybe have missed it.

We are off island for another 6 weeks - eeekkk wonder if we will have anything to come back to in Hawaiian Shores Rec.

Very nerve racking following the news from off island I can only imagine what it is like to be on island at this time.

I do feel this flow is going to make its way to the ocean and not stop anytime soon. One thing I do not know about Lava is once it flows by does the lava then start to harden? Meaning for instance should the lava go across hwy 130 how long once it passes can road crews begin working on the hwy to re-open it?
Based on this image it appears to be less than 750 feet wide. Lava does start to harden when it cools. Sure hope everything is ok with your home.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,257,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Has anyone heard how large of a path this flow is wide Is it a mile, two miles wide or smaller/larger? It looks like the path is getting wider as it progreesses towards the ocean.
Looking at the Sept 12 flow front in the HVO map, it looks to me like the leading edge is maybe 1/10 of a mile across.

HVO Maps

Quote:
One thing I do not know about Lava is once it flows by does the lava then start to harden? Meaning for instance should the lava go across hwy 130 how long once it passes can road crews begin working on the hwy to re-open it?
Think of it like a self-building pipeline. The outside hardens, creating a tube that insulates the molten lava in the middle so it stays hot and continues to push on as long as the lava supply continues. Since this is from a new vent at Pu'u O'o, nobody knows how long that might be.

According to the morning Civil Defense overflight, the direction has now turned northward again, in a direction that, if it continues, will miss Pahoa.

Here are some interesting photos and video from Friday. The night shots are amazing:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspr...l?id=275042291
Attached Thumbnails
Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow-usgs-lava-image-116.jpg  

Last edited by OpenD; 09-14-2014 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 05:52 PM

I just read on this page from the Volcano Observatory Kilauea Volcano, Hawai'i: ERUPTION UPDATE & CURRENT ACTIVITY

"At present the flow width is reportedly 200-300m,"

Which is 0.124274 - 0.186411 of a mile so OpenD you were pretty right on!

This link I provided has some pretty good information on it.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:30 PM

Default Monday morning update

It was headed north over the weekend, now it's shifted toward the northeast again. It would be nice to see an updated map...

Quote:
The lava flow heading toward Pahoa advanced 250 yards since Sunday and shifted its direction slightly, officials said Monday after a morning overflight of the area.

The active edge of the surface flow remains close, about a tenth of a mile, to vacant lots in the northwest corner of the Wao Kele o Puna forest and Kaohe Homesteads subdivision boundary. Its direction shifted back to the northeast, a slight shift from the north direction observed Sunday.
Dayton said Friday that the flow was about 3.2 miles from Pahoa Village Road and 3.5 miles from Highway 130.

Lava continues slow advance - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Yes an updated map would be nice - very nerve racking each and everyday has been.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,533,759 times
That's not a volcano. Here's a volcano

merapi_d6432.jpg:

Best of luck to everyone down stream

Old 09-15-2014, 04:59 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,402,808 times
Don't worry, the New Age mystics will channel their positive thoughts to manifest a change in direction of lava flow. As soon as they're done manifesting that really lucrative real estate sale.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM

What I don't understand is it seems the closer the lava gets to the town of Pahoa and one the largest subdivisions on the other side of Pahoa town Hawaiian Beaches. The less updates and reports are being made to keep people informed.
Prior to last Friday there was multiple reports daily seem'd like now you have to hunt for the occassional mention to keep updated.

It's a "Slow disaster" waiting to happen and it is going to be in the high millions if not billions in loss to properties if it takes out the majority of pahoa town and then Hawaiian beaches subdivison. 1,000's of people are going to be homeless!

I bet insurnace companies are already getting their paperwork ready to file bankruptcy. Which is what they usually do when a major destruction hits an area. So sad..to say the least.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 PM

Here's the latest update from the Star-Advertiser

Quote:
Lava enters Kaohe Homesteads subdivision
But Hawaii County authorities say there is no imminent threat to homes
POSTED: 09:33 a.m. HST, Sep 15, 2014
LAST UPDATED: 05:53 p.m. HST, Sep 15, 2014

USGS / HAWAIIAN VOLCANO OBSERVATORYG
As of Friday afternoon, the front of the lava flow had reached a straight-line distance of about 9.3 miles from the source vent on the northeast flank of the Pu'u O'o vent.

Lava from Kilauea's East Rift Zone has entered the Kaohe Homesteads subdivision, according to the Hawaii Volcano Observatory. Hawaii County spokesman Kevin Dayton said the lava entered a state-owned area in the subdivision that had vacant land and no houses.

"There is no imminent threat to houses," Dayton said.

Lava enters Kaohe Homesteads subdivision - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
id=275167291

As a reminder, the Civil Defense update is being made every day, and you can check it at: County of Hawaii - Civil Defense Alerts and Information

And the new maps from the Hawaii Volcano Observatory come out Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and are found at HVO Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island