Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:30 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times

Advertisements

Aloha! My lovely bride and I are in the process of buying a house on the Big Island in Discovery Harbour (Na'alehu). Are we going to be the only Ohio State Buckeye fans on the whole island? I know there's an alumni club on Oahu, but that doesn't help much. Any sports bars that might show the games?? \

(In the interest of full disclosure, I am an alum, and a life member of the Alumni club. My lovely bride, sadly, is an Akron Zip. Mixed marriage.)

O-H !!
Mahalo

Last edited by Buckeye77; 09-18-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Oh, a sports team of some sort? Here I thought it might be some sort of new plant or flower. What is a Buckeye, anyway? I mean, other than a sports team of some sort.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
IO although I am not on the big island I am a OSU alumni and hope to get there some day.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 PM

268 posts, read 382,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Oh, a sports team of some sort? Here I thought it might be some sort of new plant or flower. What is a Buckeye, anyway? I mean, other than a sports team of some sort.
Maybe it's related to a "Sooner"? Not really sure what that is either.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 AM

Hoot, a problem you will run into is the time difference. Hawaii is 5 hours earlier than eastern time. So a 1 pm eastern game will be on 8 am in Hawaii. Daylight savings time on the mainland will shift the time another hour.

A buckeye is the Ohio state tree. It produces an inedible nut like a horse chestnut. The Ohio State University has been playing football for over 100 years and have gotten rather good at it. Having such a long tradition they had interesting ideas for mascots and colors in 1900. OSU's mascot is Brutus Buckeye and the school colors are scarlet and gray. I believe the original name for the Nebraska football team was bug eaters. And orange and black were popular school colors in 1900. So times change.

During my two years of graduate school at OSU, I saw Keith Byars (13 years in NFL, #10 pick in the draft) and Chris Carter (in NFL hall of fame) play. Wow, you have to experience a buckeye home game to understand why folks go nuts over buckeye football. Woody Hayes funeral also happened while I was there and it was about as big of thing as Kennedy's funeral. Some of the watergate conspirators attended and it was the first time they were together since prison. But that is another story.

If you want to know just how rapid Ohio can be for buckeye football, you can look up the reason Hang on Sloopy is the state song. (Hint - they play Hang on Sloopy at the end of the third quarter.)

GO BUCKS

Old 09-19-2014, 03:16 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Exclamation Buckeye Nation

Fredesch - Mahalo for you input. We're keenly aware of the time difference, since we can never talk to our real estate agent until about 2:00 in the afternoon! Of course, OSU only has about 500,000 members in the Alumni Association, so odds are we can find a few more like minded folks. BTW, Coach Hayes was still in charge when I was there. Certainly a lightening rod - people either loved him (like me) or hated him. Archie Griffin, only 2 time Heisman winner, was playing while I was there.

We're in Florida now, and everyone is either a Gator or a 'Nole. I can't stand it any more.......

Aloha!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:04 PM

Good luck finding fans on the big island. I would suggest wearing OSU t-shirts and seeing if you get many I-O's when you walk around town. I have worn OSU shirts in Hilo and Kona and you are more likely to get I-O's from the Kona tourists than the locals. You can ask the Hawaii chapter of the alumni association for contacts on the big island and try to pull something together.

We were in Kona during New Years a couple of years ago and honestly watching football was low on our priority list.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A buckeye is a horse chestnut, a toxic hard, smooth nut (eating one can kill a cow) that comes in a spiky husk that small boys enjoy throwing at each other. In England they're known as known as conkers, and small boys throw them at each other. You get extra points for hitting someone in the head.

Why any sports team would wish to be identified with such a nasty little fruit is a great mystery. It's probably best to just keep your distance.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
A buckeye is a horse chestnut, a toxic hard, smooth nut (eating one can kill a cow) that comes in a spiky husk that small boys enjoy throwing at each other. In England they're known as known as conkers, and small boys throw them at each other. You get extra points for hitting someone in the head.

Why any sports team would wish to be identified with such a nasty little fruit is a great mystery. It's probably best to just keep your distance.
In the south we carry them in our pockets for good luck.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 PM

160 posts, read 287,654 times
...and there is also a species of buckeye native to California and Oregon - Aesculus californica. I dealt with it a lot managing vegetation in a certain national park in the SF Bay Area.

See Davephan? A forestry degree did get me somewhere!
...now if I can just get motivated to write an Ironwood tree management plan for Kaua'i!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island