Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
This isn't funny at all OpenD, I'm sorry you think that way - your Karma.
Sorry you think so, but when a guy says "They would have to drag my ass out of there!" it doesn't exactly set a serious tone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:37 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I don't think I could advocate for eminent domain because I don't think there is a compelling reason for the government to forcibly take the personal property of its citizens.

However, I could see broader restrictions on issuance of building permits in the highest risk areas going forward and better enforcement against building without permits.

In the end, everyone knows the risk when they buy and build on an active volcano and in high risk zones. In return for acceptance of the risk, they pay a lower price for the property. So this is now the risk side showing up. But the government shouldn't forcibly take their property particularly after allowing them to build their in the first place with a known risk.

But they could take a deeper look at the permits they are issuing going forward.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
I'm dead serious, I don't own a shotgun, but by God I'll buy one if I have to and sit on the front porch and wait.(Please don't compare me to Clint Eastwood, I'm just an old hippie that want's to be left alone), OK.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 09-25-2014 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Clint Eastwood jazz.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.vick View Post
I'm on your side buddy!
They would have to drag my ass out of there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Would you like that Rare, Medium Rare, Medium, Medium Well, or Well Done?
OpenD, I think maybe what J.vick was referring to was the government taking his property, not the lava taking it. I could be wrong though, some people like the idea of being a captain and going down with the ship.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
OpenD, I think maybe what J.vick was referring to was the government taking his property, not the lava taking it. I could be wrong though, some people like the idea of being a captain and going down with the ship.
Yes, I'm not totally nuts, if it comes I'll step aside, but will be back ASAP - and there's always another place nearby to stay. I'm not the only one planning ahead, you know.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Yeah, I saw a blended picture, in this imaginary view of a hypothetical reality, of the lava bearing down on him as he defied government orders to leave voluntarily. Cracked me up.

Je ne regrette rien (I regret nothing)

Old 09-26-2014, 03:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
I could be wrong though. Maybe J.vick wants to be the next Harry Randall Truman.

Harry Randall Truman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Open D
You are disrespectful and obviously don't really live here. Maybe you have a B& B short time you stay at but you don't live here with the stuff you say. You obviously didn't live here during the storm or now. If you do dang you got no Aloha or don't even know what it means.

Thousands and many Thousands are just like Leilani Guy and myself. Come some tragedy to your house some day hope no one says to you Medium well preferred. Come on we are a part of the country just like New Orleans or New York people. If you want to post and be the person posting copying internet links. Have a heart to the thousands of people that live here instead of make snide remarks and jokes.

Really isn't this Big Island Forum not mainland forum that doesn't have pono?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:54 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
I'm dead serious, I don't own a shotgun, but by God I'll buy one if I have to and sit on the front porch and wait.(Please don't compare me to Clint Eastwood, I'm just an old hippie that want's to be left alone), OK.
This has been going on for years. Just ask the people of the Appalachians when the TVA started taking their land to build dams and the people of the Smoky Mtns had their land taken to form a national park. Many were glad to get rid of their property while others were defiant. Some still harbor hard feelings today. I understand, hard to let go.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So, would that mean you could work from home in Pahoa?
If terms of drafting briefs and motions, I could work from home in Pāhoa (or just about anywhere else as long as the battery in my laptop holds out). In terms of filing and arguing briefs and motions, Iʻd probably have to go to Hilo and Honolulu (unless the Hawaiʻi court system rapidly upgrades its technological capabilities).

I'm not sure if you remember the nearly 20 years of litigation that occurred over the Campbell Estate's "land swap" deal with the State of Hawaiʻi involving Wao Kele o Puna (which happens to be where most of the June 27th Kīlauea lava flow is located). Although the primary issue involved "geothermal energy" development and attracted environmentalist groups, things got pretty interesting when Native Hawaiian groups got involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island