Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 02:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

@mdand3boys

You know i understand what your saying but still, im really kinda old school myself. I got angry at my board of directors recently who hired a college grad who had no experience over a guy who was doing the same job for many years as a volunteer in our organization and was doing a great job but didn't have a college education or degree. But what can i expect from a board of directors who are mostly college educated and from professional and upperclass backgrounds? Had things handed to them because of there degrees etc. Thats privilege for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
For every environmental story about a big company doing something wrong, there are a thousand stories of small companies who did and are doing, similar. Doesn't make it right. But they do it just the same. It is a lot easier to go after the big pocketbook than it is to go after the small business owner especially if you are the employee at the EPA trying to make a name for yourself and get a promotion. It is what I would do - and I bet you would too?
Ok i guess it the EPAs fault?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:05 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@mdand3boys ^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm interesting, so its about privilege and education? Not performance or productivity?

Further as i said before. Its not about being rich or making profit that is bad or wrong. Its about how you treat others and the communities and how you make your billions. I hope Walmart is going the other direction and changing. You can't expect people to change there opinions overnight especially with recent environmental violations.

FBI — Walmart Pleads Guilty to Federal Environmental Crimes, Admits Civil Violations, and Will Pay More Than $81 Million

Walmart to Pay $110M for Environmental-Protection Violations - Decided

Maybe instead of tip toeing around environmental regulations, pay better?
Actually, it appears that Wal-Mart needed to institute a "no-return" policy for pesticides and other hazardous materials.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What does this have to do with Hawaii?
What does Gentrification or mainlandization have to do with Hawai'i?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Actually, it appears that Wal-Mart needed to institute a "no-return" policy for pesticides and other hazardous materials.
Thats just recently only and not a one time event.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
What does Gentrification or mainlandization have to do with Hawai'i?
Huh? I thought the thread had to do whether there was a Sam's Club on the Big Island.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Thats just recently only and not a one time event.
A company-wide "no-return" policy for pesticides and other hazardous materials is not a "one-time event." And, based on the links that you provided earlier, Wal-Mart's Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) violations only extend to early 2008 (i.e. over six years ago).

Old 10-19-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Huh? I thought the thread had to do whether there was a Sam's Club on the Big Island.
I thought so too and fully answered the OP's question in post #2.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,278 times
Quote:
It did.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:29 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I thought so too and fully answered the OP's question in post #2.

Yes, you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island