Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:01 AM

83 posts, read 128,734 times

Advertisements

Luquin's ... Love that place I've been there 3 times and I've never had a bad meal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 AM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyyogini View Post
I, for one, am not waiting for disaster. I'm praying for all of you and for Pele not to cross the road. Hang tight! <3
At this time, praying will not help anyone. This is the time when you packup and execute your exit plan...that plan you made a month ago. People need to realize it will take a miracle for this flow not to cross the 130. This is just a question of time unfortunately.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:57 PM

252 posts, read 659,836 times
Default Speculations and rumors!

I hope it does not cross 130 and if it does crosss 130 and then MONTHS later cross the other 2 alternative routes (Railroad and Beach) and if Chain or craters has to be used as a temporary in and out of the area then so be it. It's not the end of the world..

Heard no banks are lending in Lower puna on new sales (wrong a friend of mines renter gave notice they were moving as they just closed on house in Leilani and got a mortagage) also heard no Insurance companies will insure new policies. Wrong they got insurance on the place also.

People act like once the flow takes over hwy 130 that is the death of lower Puna. Maybe how we know it now as one of the fastest growing areas that may change and some businesses will have to close but most certainly not the end of lower Puna althogether it's just going to be different is all a "new normal" ... geesh!

I swear there is so much speculation going on lately it's riduculous!

So here is my speculation --- Maybe lower Puna will be a great place for vacationers, self-employed and retired folks. I could handle that very easy!

We have a vacation rental listed on VRBO and have received many bookings and the guest are aware of the lava flow and all that it entails. They are still making reservations and we have not yet received any cancellations!

I for one will enjoy less people and less development! It will truely become old Hawaii and if Pele decides to take back the whole lower Puna in the next 1-200 years that that is what does or does not happen. Until then we are going to enjoy our peace of paradise as long as Pele allows!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
I hope it does not cross 130 and if it does crosss 130 and then MONTHS later cross the other 2 alternative routes (Railroad and Beach) and if Chain or craters has to be used as a temporary in and out of the area then so be it. It's not the end of the world..
But then if the flow from P'u 'O'o flips back to its customary track and Chain of Craters Road is once again cut off, as it would have been many times over the last few decades if it had still been open.

I don't know what the chances are of Highway 130 and Railroad and Government Road and Chain of Craters all being cut off, by two separate flows, but I guarantee the odds are not zero.

The only two alternatives I can see if that were to happen are to build bridges over the lava, or start a ferry service.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM

252 posts, read 659,836 times
Yes tons of speculations and "what if" could be's etc. I guess we all have no choice but to "wait and see"

Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Are these areas completely closed off to the public, non residents? I'm interested in some lava photos and curious if it's possible.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Are these areas completely closed off to the public, non residents? I'm interested in some lava photos and curious if it's possible.

Thanks
Check out this thread...
Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow

There are many pictures posted there of the lava and also links to where you can find even more photos.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Check out this thread...
Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow

There are many pictures posted there of the lava and also links to where you can find even more photos.
Thanks, I'm talking about me live in person taking photos of the lava flow. We're going to be in Maui next month and wouldn't mind catching a flight over to the Big island if i could get some lava photos. I'm not in shape enough to trek through mud up to your shins for general lava tours.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
"If" the lava crosses Village road, CD director Olivera has said they MAY allow viewing from the 130 bypass. that would be another nightmare for us on the far side of the flow.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Thanks, I'm talking about me live in person taking photos of the lava flow. We're going to be in Maui next month and wouldn't mind catching a flight over to the Big island if i could get some lava photos. I'm not in shape enough to trek through mud up to your shins for general lava tours.
If you read the Civil Defense alerts we've been posting at Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow I think you'll find up to date information on what they're allowing... typically following the following format:

Quote:
The Pahoa Village Road between Apa’a Street and the Post Office Road will remain closed and limited to area residents only. Access to the businesses and commercial areas of the Pahoa town can be made through the Pahoa Village Road at the intersection of Highways 130 and 132 and the Post Office Road. We apologize for any inconvenience the road closure may be presenting with and remind everyone that the Pahoa town center and businesses are open and accessible.
In other words, you can't get any closer than maybe half a mile or so to the lava front, and possibly not that close. The authorities are actively discouraging sightseers from visiting the area.

And the FAA has restricted the airspace around Pahoa so that the closest you can get to it in a helicopter is at least 4,000 feet away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island