Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:42 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,704 times

Advertisements

You guys crack me up! Everyone gets a rep point.

Oops, OpenD has gotten too many by me already :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM

48 posts, read 61,908 times
I think OpenD pulls all this info out of his head and doesn't have to research it at all. I'm quite amazed by his insight. Seriously he has some inordinate amount of information that he comes up with. Thanks again D

Old 12-09-2014, 03:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 838454 View Post
I think OpenD pulls all this info out of his head and doesn't have to research it at all. I'm quite amazed by his insight. Seriously he has some inordinate amount of information that he comes up with. Thanks again D
Like I have said before, I am the person everyone wants for their Trivial Pursuit team.

I'm happy for the shout-out, but I can't take a lot of credit for it. It just happens. I've always been inordinately curious, and have a kind of trick memory for all kinds of odd stuff, and I read voraciously and at very high speed. So I know at least a little bit about a lot of things... if I don't I won't comment... but often a crumb of something which I already do know, once tickled, leads me into doing research to factcheck what I think I remember before I comment, so I put real time into a lot of what I write, either here or elsewhere, and I pick up additional material in the process. So I will accept credit for the effort I put into being factual and accurate. It's entertaining for me to do that, and I intend that the result be informative and entertaining for others.

I also have had the luxury of a lot of time on my hands since retirement, and a keen desire to be of service to others. When I am able to do it I express that intention in face-to-face volunteer and pro-bono work, but when... for a variety of reasons... I've not been able to do that, I have spent a lot of my free time here over the last 4 years.

Ironically, I've been beginning to cut back on that "free" time recently as I'm being summoned back out of retirement by a couple of projects I'm very keen on, including co-writing a biography of a real-life Jason Bourne type guy, and bootstrapping a social justice organization that I intend to make a difference in the arenas of housing, homelessness, hunger, racism and despair. And like magic, people who love me from previous work I've done 25 years ago, 20 years ago, 15 years ago, a decade ago are popping up, asking what we can do to make a difference together again? So I've been called, in a manner of speaking, and I don't expect to be hanging out here as much as I have been in the past.

Anyway, this isn't a flounce, or anything close to a goodbye, just a thank you for your support and appreciation, for those who have done, and I'll see you when I see you.

All my best,
OpenD

Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 PM

68 posts, read 107,144 times
I have been foolish. *turns red* I have been schooled. A great man, whom I will not name, as I am certain he was quoting another great man (and I am certain OD or ANOTHER will find it... I'm on a phone in an area where connectivity is scetchy at best) once said to me, "The worst thing you can do to a truly good man, is give him praise." By doing so, you steal thier 'pennies in heaven'. But I still feel a need to give thanks.... Soooo...
I intend to ask the mods to remove this thread. I will begin a new thread, in which any who wish, may give thanks to any who they feel deserve it.
Thank you all for your patience and understanding.... and your chastisements...

RC

*edited to add
ummmm.... could someone DM me and help me contact mods... still fairly new here...

Old 12-09-2014, 11:30 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,813,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Chetco View Post
I intend to ask the mods to remove this thread.
WAIT!

Does this mean I won't be getting my OpenD Fan Club t-shirt in the mail soon?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:57 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Chetco View Post
I intend to ask the mods to remove this thread.
Don't stop with this one

Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 AM

Default OD... Help me remove this thread!

*points to title* others are welcome!

RC

Old 12-10-2014, 12:32 AM

@MFJ
You have seen his avatar... create your own shirt!

RC

*edited to add
I want one gratis...
*re-edited to add
ok... so it is technically not an avatar... I still want one...

Last edited by Rex Chetco; 12-10-2014 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: reason for editing?!? I'm intoxicated... duh...

Old 12-10-2014, 03:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
As for OpenD, I view him as a fellow "aspiring polymath"
All things considered, and coming from you, I take that as high praise, and I appreciate it.

Mahalo nui loa. (Thank you very much)

OpenD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island