Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times

Advertisements

Seems there has been another stabbing in the Wailoa state park in Hilo. I remember one awhile back too. My wife's son has mentioned that the downtown feels more edgy than it used to be, w/ lots of homeless people he doesn't recognize and more vandalism and graffiti. We're concerned, since a move back was in our long term plans.

I know that Hilo crime in general has its bad periods and its good, but the stuff I'm seeing there now, just listening to friends and relatives and reading the paper, is not what I'm used to. Someone was also stabbed on Kilauea St and died in Long's parking lot this year, about this time last year three people were stabbed (mostly in the Wainaku area) by one person in a crazy crime spree, and there was that stabbing on the Bayfront several years ago where someone was murdered. Is anyone else on the BI feeling that that its getting a little out of hand these days? I've lived in Hilo off and on since 1992, we left 10 years ago, and this sort of thing just wasn't happening during any time period that I lived there.

Last edited by smarino; 07-21-2015 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
There needs to be stricter knife laws.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:40 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
Same issue is growing around the homeless encampments on Oahu. Increased violence.

2 stabbings, an assault & robbery, and a State Lawmaker beaten at a homeless camp in Honolulu all in just this past month.

Violence near Oahu homeless areas appears to be on the rise - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 07-21-2015, 08:16 AM

113 posts, read 163,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
There needs to be stricter knife laws.
Even though more knife laws would solve nothing as criminals are going to use whatever gives them an advantage, I looked up the law just for fun.

Hawaii Knife Law | KnifeUp

Only balisongs and switchblades are banned in Hawaii. Any other type of knife is legal. In fact you can open carry a Bowie knife

Old 07-21-2015, 12:30 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
It's been a bit edgy for several years although I don't have anything to compare it to, so I can't really quantify it for you. An elderly friend of mine won't go there after dark anymore by herself. She says it doesn't feel safe anymore. She's all of about four foot eleven so her levels of "not safe" may not be the same for everyone.

I've also heard conversations from folks in that part of the island about starting Community Watch back up again.

It may have been the big population shift when the folks were moving around last year because of the possible lava flow. When folks move out of their usual neighborhood there's less folks watching who knows who and what should be where.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:06 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
I know that looking at crime stats on independent websites can be next to useless (one site showed that Hilo's crime rate was 80% higher than the national average, then said that the city is safer than 99% of US cities, so go figure. It was also a website that featured homes for sale, so obviously it was a realtor sort of deal), but I finally found the annual crime reports from the police on the Big Island.

There's a lot of info on these reports for the years 2012-2013, and 2013-2014, but toward the bottom you get to the raw statistics. What I see is that violent crimes increased 28.8% in 2013, and 57.3% in 2014. Murders increased 78.4% in 2013 and 150.2% in 2014. The other crimes tend to follow this pattern. This year looks worse, to me, than the previous years. Even the wife's son had his Hilo home broken into in broad daylight when they were out a few months ago. Thankfully they weren't home when it happened. Knowing from my own experience (although past behavior does not necessarily dictate future behavior, which is good to remember when you're looking at stocks) that crime in Hilo comes in waves, maybe it will settle down by the time we get there. Or not.

http://www.hawaiipolice.com/2012-201...al-report-html

http://www.hawaiipolice.com/2013-201...al-report-html

Last edited by smarino; 07-21-2015 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

There's a lot of info on these reports for the years 2012-2013, and 2013-2014, but toward the bottom you get to the raw statistics. What I see is that violent crimes increased 28.8% in 2013, and 57.3% in 2014. Murders increased 78.4% in 2013 and 150.2% in 2014.
You have to be somewhat careful with looking at percentages and put them in context - put another way, If I get a 8% raise, that sounds good, right? Well - perhaps not if you make $20,000/year - there is an old saying x% times <not a lot> = <not a lot> versus an 8% raise on $100,000/year is much different.

So the point being - if crime was relatively low - a raw statistic of a 28.8% increase may or may not be a big deal - it just tells you there was more crime.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It may have been the big population shift when the folks were moving around last year because of the possible lava flow. When folks move out of their usual neighborhood there's less folks watching who knows who and what should be where.
For some reason, Pāhoa seems feels less "edgy." I suspect that last year's Section 8 moratorium for lower Puna might've had something to do with it.
County bans new leases for housing vouchers in lower Puna | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Ironically, the victims in the double stabbing were from Pāhoa and the alleged "perp" was a homeless man from California.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...-park-stabbing

Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanapepePuppy View Post
Even though more knife laws would solve nothing as criminals are going to use whatever gives them an advantage, I looked up the law just for fun.

Hawaii Knife Law | KnifeUp

Only balisongs and switchblades are banned in Hawaii. Any other type of knife is legal. In fact you can open carry a Bowie knife
I know, even a butter knife can be used as a deadly weapon. I was being sarcastic because Hawaii has some of the strictest gun laws and that strict gun laws will not stop people from being violent. Strict gun laws only keep law abiding people from protecting themselves. The biggest deterrent to violent crime and someone becoming a victim is if the perpetrator has to wonder if this person who they want to commit a crime against is armed. If I was a criminal I would think twice about committing a violent crime in a gun friendly state.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I know, even a butter knife can be used as a deadly weapon. I was being sarcastic because Hawaii has some of the strictest gun laws and that strict gun laws will not stop people from being violent. Strict gun laws only keep law abiding people from protecting themselves. The biggest deterrent to violent crime and someone becoming a victim is if the perpetrator has to wonder if this person who they want to commit a crime against is armed. If I was a criminal I would think twice about committing a violent crime in a gun friendly state.
Hawaiian cops are smarter and know that the gun dealers, gun shows, thefts, etc always will distribute guns into the crooks hands. Concealed carry & open carry would turn Hawaii with its massive drug problems and crazies into an undesirable place to be for normal people. Cops can conduct traffic stops in these islands without fearing to be shot at, hence be friendlier than Texas cops. They can enter houses for legal searches without fearing a barrage of bullets, hence be more cordial. Kids can sleep in their beds without shots from drive-by cars piercing walls and their cribs. Gangs can't establish territories with uzis and Glocks--hard to do with knives & clubs. One can still go to movie theaters and teens to colleges without having white extremists mowing them down from behind.

Having less bullets to fear makes it much easier for the HPD to find qualified police recruits. With better cops you have more civility in society. More positive interactions with law enforcement.

A better way of life for society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island