Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,063 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Can anyone please provide pros and cons of living (buying a home) in Discovery Harbour?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Have you been there before? Try and rent for six months before you buy, then you'll know if you want to live there or not.

Can we say "remote" and it takes an hour and a half to get to many of the supply locations? But, some folks like that. I think we have some folks here who live there, they'll be able to chime in with much more detailed information.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:23 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Yes, I am one of the "folks" who live in Discovery Harbour. What do you know about the area and what are you looking for?

Pros: Isolated, laid back, beautiful area, great community feel. You can buy a nice home on 1/3 acre for the low $200,000s. There are a lot of retired professionals who live there, as well as some locals. A lot of things going on in the community. Check out the DH website at Discovery Harbour | Just another WordPress site. It's easy to sit back and do nothing or be an active part of things in DH as well as in Ka'u. Weather is pretty nice; although it's warm we do get a steady tradewind so we never need air conditioning. Easy to grow your own fruits and vegetables.

Cons: Isolated. Kona and Hilo are each about an hour and a half away and there's not much shopping nearby. Medical care is not very close either. The Ka'u Hospital is about 20 minutes away, and the emergency room is staffed by a nurse. Great area if you are retired; not so great if you need to find a job. Golf course in DH is currently owned by someone who doesn't do any maintenance, so all mowing is done by residents at their expense.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:18 PM

26 posts, read 45,518 times
I have lived here in DH for 16 months. after 2 years of research, we found our dream/retirement home here. We chose based on the Lava Zone 6, rare vog, low crime rate, reasonable home prices and near perfect weather. We moved here full-time from Boise, Idaho where we had become tired of the long, gray winters and hot summers. I never imagined I could be happy in a place that I could not run to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or the mall in 15 minutes. I was wrong. We have a wonderful weekly Farmer's market and Amazon Prime solves a lot of my shopping problems. What we didn't expect was the amazing, friendly, fascinating people that live here (of which Dreaming of Hawaii is one) Even though remote, we stay constantly busy enjoying the yard work and gardening, volunteering, entertaining company from the mainland. The DH community center has yoga classes, a quilting group, game nights and a hula class. We are surrounded by natural beauty. The only thing lacking is a white sand beach, although I've heard there is one below Ocean View that requires a 45" hike. We also found the most perfect little church in Naalehu of which our neighbor is the pastor. Even the trips to Kona or Hilo several times a month for appointments or shopping are enjoyable.
Even though it took an incredible amount of work, planning and expense to move here, it was one of the best life decisions we ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: