Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:27 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times

Advertisements

The only info I've managed to scrounge up is that the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are 40 degrees cooler on average during the day than sea level. that figures out to about 1 degree drop every 325 feet. Sounds about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 02:37 PM

140 posts, read 188,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I'd like to see the site you've found regarding rainfall, just out of curiosity.
If the locale you're looking at has a community in the vicinity, their temperature info should help extrapolate the information you're seeking. Average temperature will vary a bit from season to season. East side is a somewhat cooler than west side, due to the trades and more cloud cover, but of course the biggest player in average temperature will be elevation.
Sorry for the delayed reply. Here is the site for rainfall, IMO it's really good. Great navigation and options. Click on any area and look at the results on the left - outstanding! Even shows you all the sensor locations on the island.

Rainfall Atlas of Hawaii | Interactive Map

Old 12-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I really don't understand the replies here, is it me? The OP clearly states "I found a site that gives very specific rain info for any area of BI. I'm also looking for something similar for temp. With the various micro climates of Hawaii I'd like to be able to click on an area of a map and see the average temperature and other associated info."
No, it's not you, I think it was stated pretty clearly .

Since there are stations all over, I was hoping to find something like the one I posted for rain for temp. And before someone says "it can vary" of course it can, but if it also shows station locations and/or where the info is being generated from, and what it's based on (i.e. averages between stations, or the nearest station) you can at least see some interesting data.

I also thought there might even be something out there crowd sourced, it's a small market but there are individuals that own externally mounted weather stations on their homes.

I'm responding as I'm going through the thread, about to check out some of the links posted, thanks to you and the others who posted them.

Last edited by Green_Mountain; 12-06-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 03:47 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply. Here is the site for rainfall, IMO it's really good. Great navigation and options. Click on any area and look at the results on the left - outstanding! Even shows you all the sensor locations on the island.

Rainfall Atlas of Hawaii | Interactive Map
That IS a great site. Thanks!

Try this site. National Weather Service Double click on the area of the island you want a few times and it will change to that area's weather page. I don't know how accurate it is but you can email them and ask.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:29 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
That is indeed a great site.
Interesting to see that actual Hilo town is wetter than the official rain marker at the airport.
20 years ago I rode with someone who had the job of manually recording rainfall stations along the Saddle road.
Now looking at this map, I had no idea so many stations existed, though many of them have been discontinued.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM

13 posts, read 91,517 times
There actually is another site put out by the same people that shows average temperatures across the islands. Its at Climate of Hawaii | Interactive Map
I've found it really fascinating to just poke around at all the big island microclimates using this site!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back_east View Post
There actually is another site put out by the same people that shows average temperatures across the islands. Its at Climate of Hawaii | Interactive Map
I've found it really fascinating to just poke around at all the big island microclimates using this site!
Thank you, that's incredible.

The funny thing is I when I found their site for rain I thought "I wonder if they do this for temp" but just figured that if they did it would be such a total no brainer to link the two sites together that when I didn't see anything on the rain site about temp, I just figured that for some reason they only did it for rain.

For some reason your link features a drop down menu which allows the user to select rain/temp etc. But the link I posted above does not have that...or something needs to be done to get back to it.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 91,517 times
Yeah, I found the site organization funny, too. There is a link buried somewhere, but I don't remember where. I think your original site shows more different pieces of info related to rainfall, while the second site gives more of an overview for temp, rain, and other stuff like cloud cover too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island