Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 03:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,408 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My wife and I have two small children and are looking to move to the BI in the summer of 2016. I have my degree in alternative energy and will be working in the solar industry. We are trying to keep costs low and are looking for the best way to move our items. The only things we feel we need to bring are clothes, minimal entertainment options (toys for kids, electronics) and my considerable tool collection to build/renovate a house once we find a good neighborhood to live in.

After doing research, we have concluded that we would like to consider the Puna district or South Hilo district to live in, with our second option being in Capt Cook or Oceanview to make this move cheaper. I really shouldn't say cheaper, but we understand that in moving to HI, we will need to shift some costs. Currently we spend approximately $1500-$2000/yr in heating costs, and although we will need to heat our place, it won't be to the tune of $250-300/mo in the winter. However, that savings is swallowed by the absurd electric rate. So we understand some of the pitfalls that other may not have considered. We plan to rent at first until finding the right area to settle. Willingness to travel to work isn't an issue, as I am currently very adept at my 30 min stop-and-go, east coast rat race commute.

Ultimately, we would like to be in a safer neighborhood, and also one that has friendly neighbors, although that is a crap shoot most of the time regardless of where you go. My wife tends to be a social butterfly and would like to have options for play dates with the kids, meeting other moms, etc...

So questions would be:

1. if you had to pick a neighborhood with all of the above, which one would you realistically choose?

2. What shipping company would give us the best options for moving our things?

3. How much difference is there in insurance rates between lava zones 2 and 3?

4. What is the market like for rentals in the areas mentioned above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 04:18 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Aloha Corey,

1. Of the four areas you mentioned, Capt. Cook might be the best, but none of them are areas I'd pick by choice.

2. Most shipping is done on the same ships, just who's putting it on the ship is different. Try a freight consolidator instead of renting a whole container. Or ship via U.S. mail's media rate for all books and media. Bring as much luggage as possible, that's a pretty inexpensive way to get 50# of stuff to Hawaii for a one way checked bag fee.

3. Haven't a clue about lava insurance, we're on the coast above Hilo where it's not relevant.

4. You can check Craig's List for rental listings, that's probably the biggest location for rental listings.

If you live directly in Hilo town itself, your social butterflies will be able to happily interact with everyone without having to drive for miles to get there.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:40 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
1. if you had to pick a neighborhood with all of the above, which one would you realistically choose?
We chose Oceanview. Seriously, there are so many areas with extremely unique climates, residents, flora, fauna etc..I don't see how anyone would want to make even a cursory decision without visiting each. The reasons we chose where to live and our priorities/needs would be different than pretty much anyone's.

2. What shipping company would give us the best options for moving our things?
Shop around, we used a freight-forwarder (Aloha Freight), who were awesome.

3. How much difference is there in insurance rates between lava zones 2 and 3?
Don't know, but for reference, I am in zone 2, new house and pay $1,200 annually.

4. What is the market like for rentals in the areas mentioned above?
Like Hotz said, Craigslist, you can also check Konaweb for Captain Cook area and Punaweb for Puna area.

Also, electricity is more expensive, but you will likely use a lot less. We run efficient lighting and on-demand gas hot water. Other than that, we live a normal family life and our electric bill is around $125.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 AM

101 posts, read 138,574 times
When it comes to Hilo, Puna and southern part of island. My concerns would be long traveling to good shopping, higher gas prices, best beaches on west side and all the feral meth-heads that are trying to steal everything in sight(not kidding).
You couldn't pay me to live in Puna.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:50 AM

I forgot about the dirty, wannabe, hippies that are just mainlander drop-outs who don't want to have a job. They love Puna.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Eckenroth View Post
Currently we spend approximately $1500-$2000/yr in heating costs, and although we will need to heat our place, it won't be to the tune of $250-300/mo in the winter. However, that savings is swallowed by the absurd electric rate. So we understand some of the pitfalls that other may not have considered. We plan to rent at first until finding the right area to settle. Willingness to travel to work isn't an issue, as I am currently very adept at my 30 min stop-and-go, east coast rat race commute.

Ultimately, we would like to be in a safer neighborhood, and also one that has friendly neighbors, although that is a crap shoot most of the time regardless of where you go.

No, you won't have to heat your home in Hawaii, unless you choose a place above 1500 ft or so.

Good idea to rent first and check places out before settling permanently, if you desire.

Just about everywhere on the island has some pitfalls to go along with its advantages. People with money usually opt for Hawi or the Hamakua coast.

Captain Cook: Beautiful location, nice elevation. Downsides include vog (volcanic smog) and necessity of travelling through Kona traffic to get anywhere. All public utilities here. Not much fee simple land for purchase though. Most of it is lease hold.

OceanView: I believe it's still the headquarters for Solarworks, a solar electricity business, which may be of interest to you. Lots of sun here, nice (ready?) ocean views, cheap real estate. Downsides: Lack of rainfall, vog, long travelling distance to Hilo or Kona.

South Hilo: The heart of Hilo. Most population concentration, maybe the best place for you to be professionally, and probably best bet for family interaction opportunities. Nice mix of different age groups. The only shopping it misses is the Costco, found in north Kona. All public utilities available here, high rainfall.
Obviously not as peaceful as OceanView or Puna, but still a somewhat sleepy town.

Puna: Sprawling rural area. Cheap land, lush and wet. Most areas lack public utilities. Lots of creepy crawlies, if they bother you. Isolated properties in the jungle can be targets for ripoffs.
This is the area I'm most familiar with. Most people are good folks, with not much money. Yes, there are plenty of lowlifes too, but they're found everywhere on island.
Puna sees more burglaries than Hilo or Kona, but Kona leads in drunk driving arrests, followed by Hilo, for what that's worth.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
[quote=HonaunauLove;
You couldn't pay me to live in Puna.[/QUOTE]

And the people of Puna feel the same way about Kona. There are plenty of meth heads there too.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:56 AM

206 posts, read 466,360 times
No, you would not have to heat your house in the winter. High electricity costs means taking advantage of the year-round mild climate and using fans/ventilation in the summer and putting on a sweatshirt at night in the winter. Captain Cook is probably the nicest place on your list, and it's not cold there. But puna is also a great place, though you can probably name any area on the island and have an ignorant troll come out who hates the place with a passion despite never living there and probably never even spending more then an hour there themselves.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
DO NOT MOVE TO HAWAII WITHOUT HAVING VISITED FIRST especially if you have kids. Many Many people on this forum have given this advice. If you can't afford a reconnaissance trip, you cant afford to live here. Just moving is a false economy.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:26 PM

Totally agree with that post. You can not move to Hawaii without boots on ground at least a few extended times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island