Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:52 AM

308 posts, read 405,643 times

Advertisements

Hotcatz, I know and understand about invasive species (we fight Himilayan Blackberries and Japanese Knotweed weekly on our own property--they're annoying as hell, and they're not even animals) and the danger they represent to native species. Really and truly I do. And I understand the reasons why Hawaii's own native species are endangered by them, and why the state wants to eliminate them if they can. It's just that _I_ cannot kill amphibians, most insects and arachnids, or any of the higher species. _I_ cannot, personally. Can you understand my situation? I can understand all I need to about the tragedy of invasive species who endanger native plants and animals. I just CANNOT kill.

And before you ask, no, I couldn't kill to protect myself, my dogs, my children, or my husband. I could and would maim and injure someone who tried to do any of us harm, but kill? Not if I can keep from it. This "thou shalt not kill" thing is deeply ingrained in my very soul. I know that many, if not most, people will not agree with my ethos in this matter, but it's just the way it is for me. There you go. I can't, and that's all there is to it. I leave the killing to others whose souls and psyches aren't as "weak" (as I imagine they'd call it, and probably will, here, knowing some of the long-time trolls who make their opinions loudly and emphatically known in this forum) as mine. There are born warriors and heroes (as well as psychopaths, sociopaths, and sadists) among us who don't mind taking a life. I am not one of them. So please don't lecture me or otherwise call into question my intelligence, sanity, or mores because I can't and won't kill a living being if I can do anythig at all to avoid it. It is simply the way I was made. I accept that we are all different, and I celebrate it, even if I don't always agree with others' behavior and/or points of view. All y'all go ahead and exterminate anything you think you need to to keep your native flora and fauna populations safe. Just don't ask me to do it with you.

A danger to your native species or not, I think the little froglets we saw hopping across the road last night are cute. I keep snakes for pets because I like their personalities and great beauty, but would NEVER try to bring them here if we ever decide to move here! I think that the 3 mongooses I've seen so far are beautiful. In their own native settings, I'm sure they do a good service, but I understand that they are dangerous to the native creatures and not welcome in HI. However, I can appreciate beauty, whether it's welcome in your state or not. But, beautiful or ugly, I won't kill any of them deliberately. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Every Friday there is the "Green Lake market" right across the road from KBC road that has fruits, veggies, eggs and home baked goods. Smiley, the lady that runs it, is very knowledgeable about the area and is very chatty.
Hey, leilaniguy! Thanks for letting us know about the Green Lake Market. We pass that area daily. I'll just need to check what time it happens, so we can get there in time to pick up some more veggies and baked goods (not sure we'll even be able to eat the dozen eggs we already bought ). We can stop in there before we head out on our daily adventures (probably a trip to Volcanos Nat'l Park). Thanks again! We both really appreciate it :-).

Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 AM

We're enjoying ourselves immensely, here. Here are a few pix I took. I have about a zillion more, but I won't waste your time and bandwidth on this forum, because I suspect most of you have seen it all, before. Still 'n' all, I thought I'd share :-).

First photo is my husband, looking out at the ocean from somewhere along the Red Road.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-18-19.07.41.jpg

Second pic is jungle stuff, somewhere in the same vicinity. It would be a gardener's dream to live there, I think--or a non-gardener's nightmare . I'm a gardener, so I think I'd love it, there.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-18-19.03.59.jpg

This cool bamboo bike is attached to a wall at Boogie Woogie Pizza in Pahoa. They make some kick-azz pizza and garlic bread, too :-).

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-18-19.00.53.jpg

We saw this little graveyard along the Red Road, somewhere. I'd love to know the history of this place.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-18-19.06.41.jpg

What is the name of these odd little spider-like crabs? We saw a bunch of them at Hale Kale park. Neat place. Had a good time watching all the surfers, as well as the crabs, dogs, and people who were, like us, watching the surfers :-).

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-18-18.52.05.jpg

Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,570,379 times
The little crab is A'ama. Some locals eat them, must take an awful lot of them to make a meal.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
The little crab is A'ama. Some locals eat them, must take an awful lot of them to make a meal.
Thanks! My husband was absolutely fascinated by them and the way that they flatten down and hug whatever they're on whenever a wave came along. And they're so shiny! Yeah, I think gathering up a couple of dozen of them to make a meal, and cleaning them after cooking would be too much like real work for me . I'll stick with our local Dungeness crabs.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,966,940 times
Just to let you know not "all of us" have seen all there is to see about Hawaii. Personally, I thank you for your pictures, I've enjoyed them. Please share as many as you like and don't worry about "bandwidth".

I'm not from Hawaii, probably will never see it so I enjoy what others have to share. Love the picture of all the plants...crazy growth. It looks like house plants on steroids.

If you have any flower pictures don't hesitate to share. We've been watching the series LOST and some of the scenes are beautiful with wild flowers growing. Never watched the series before but now it's available without commercials which sometimes prompt the feeling of wanting to do a marathon watch! Off topic I know but the writers of that show are incredible, it's like reading a good book I cannot put down.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Just to let you know not "all of us" have seen all there is to see about Hawaii. Personally, I thank you for your pictures, I've enjoyed them. Please share as many as you like and don't worry about "bandwidth".

I'm not from Hawaii, probably will never see it so I enjoy what others have to share. Love the picture of all the plants...crazy growth. It looks like house plants on steroids.

If you have any flower pictures don't hesitate to share. We've been watching the series LOST and some of the scenes are beautiful with wild flowers growing. Never watched the series before but now it's available without commercials which sometimes prompt the feeling of wanting to do a marathon watch! Off topic I know but the writers of that show are incredible, it's like reading a good book I cannot put down.
Thank you for your kind words . I can definitely do plant pix for you! Let's see what I can come up with .....

No clue what this one is. Hopefully someone here will be able to help identify it.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-18-18.34.35.jpg

Same with this one. It's pretty, but I don't know what it is....

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-18-18.37.24.jpg

This is probably the most massive Bougainvillea vine I've ever seen. It's stretched itself all the way to the top of the tree it has engulfed, and back down to near ground level.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-19-21.05.07.jpg

I asked a local what you call this tree with the bright red/orange blooms, and was told it's an African Tulip Tree.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-19-21.15.14.jpg

I don't know what this purple flowering vine is, I'm afraid. I hope someone here can help.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-19-21.19.07.jpg

A gorgeous, bright red Bougainvillea.

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-19-21.01.50.jpg

I have lots more photos, I just need to get them uploaded, here. I'll share more, I promise .

Last edited by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z; 02-20-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Here are the others I have so far. I have lots of foliage, especially things like monstera vines (aka split leaf philodendron), philodendrons, shefflera, palms of various species, a huge tree--maybe a banyan?, "Tarzan" vines (at least that's what I call them ) hanging from trees, etc. The monsteras, philiodendrons, and sheffleras are all growing wild (or maybe not so wild ), here, but are only able to grow as houseplants (outdoors in the summer) where we live on the central Oregon coast. Hence my fascination with them.....

Anyway, here's what I have for flowers:

Plumeria in the neighbor's yard:

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-20-08.18.19.jpg

Hibiscus (of course ):

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-20-08.16.53.jpg

The fuchscia-colored Bougainvillea in our yard:

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-20-08.15.58.jpg

A closeup of the same vine. Bougainvillea are my favorite vine in the entire known and unknown universe, btw. Which is why I have so many photos of so many different vines. They come in just about any color you can name, so I'll keep photographing them as I find them. In southern California, I saw them in true purple, bright yellow, any shade of orange or pink you can bring to mind, and white. I dearly wish I could grow the thorny plants where we live--I'd have every supportive space in our gardens covered in them!

We're Heeeeeere!-2016-02-20-08.14.56.jpg

Old 02-20-2016, 02:04 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,570,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
Thank you for your kind words . I can definitely do plant pix for you! Let's see what I can come up with .....

No clue what this one is. Hopefully someone here will be able to help identify it.

Attachment 165934

Same with this one. It's pretty, but I don't know what it is....

Attachment 165935

This is probably the most massive Bougainvillea vine I've ever seen. It's stretched itself all the way to the top of the tree it has engulfed, and back down to near ground level.

Attachment 165936

I asked a local what you call this tree with the bright red/orange blooms, and was told it's an African Tulip Tree.

Attachment 165937

I don't know what this purple flowering vine is, I'm afraid. I hope someone here can help.

Attachment 165938

A gorgeous, bright red Bougainvillea.

Attachment 165939

I have lots more photos, I just need to get them uploaded, here. I'll share more, I promise .
The first one is Hawaiian holly, the second is spider lily. I can't remember the name of the purple one.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,966,940 times
AWESOME! Thanks for the pictures!! So cool. Unbelievable how BIG some of them are!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island