Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 03:23 AM

308 posts, read 410,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Seems to me, what with the homeless and hunger problems along with the overcrowding at the humane society, putting the two together might solve two problems. They euthanize lots of pets taken to the shelter, why not let folks eat them instead? Seems to me it'd be worse to euthanize and then throw them away than to let them be used and eaten. Less waste that way. I'm sure it's totally non-PC and folks would be horrified by the idea, though.
You're right. I find the idea truly horrifying. Then again, dogs are an extremely important part of my life, as well as my husband's--and most certainly, not as food or any other way of abusing them. I don't like cultures that condone/encourage eating them, any more than I care for cultures where they make dogs into coats. IMHO, dogs are God's gift to us flawed humans, to show us how to live--loyally, lovingly, joyfully, and living each moment to its fullest. Treating them in any way other than the nearly sacred beings that I think of them as being is morally wrong, deplorable, and nearly sacrilegious.... Cats, now--that's another story .

Then again, I'm just a "crazy dog lady"--ask anyone who knows me :-). The one thing that bothers me most about Hawaii is the state's apparent dog-unfriendly ways. Here, most of us treasure them as more than just pets. They're family. There, it seems like most people think that dogs are just nuisances, food, and better not seen and never heard (much like how I think of other people's children ). To me there is no such thing as "Just a dog". I cannot even begin to understand people who think it's ok to eat them (or abuse them in any other way, either), and I certainly don't like those kinds of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
This is so sad and so really, really stupid. Someone tries to get a bill passed to make eating one's dog illegal, and to prevent obvious animal cruelty practices, and the legislature refuses to even hear any discussion on the bills.

I've always said that Hawaii is the most anti pet state I have ever lived in (or even heard of, for that matter), and here's more proof. The article on this is on the link below from the Tribune Herald, a once so-so newspaper that lately is at least making the effort to root out and expose ignorance. Good for them! And a big raspberry to the Hawaii legislature. You should all be ashamed of yourselves and voted out of office. Of course, a vgetarian like me has more chance of eating the family pet than an incumbent being voted out in Hawaii, but someone needs to call these people out.

Trio of animal cruelty bills fail to get support | Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Amen to that, smarino! If this forum would have let me, I would have given you more rep point(s), but apparently I need to spread that stuff around some more, first :-).

Old 03-12-2016, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hard to pass laws like that in Hawaii with the high Asian/immigrant population.
I expect you're correct about that, whtviper. Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island