Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 46,605 times

Advertisements

my husband and 3 young children and I will be moving to the Puna area in Sep 2008. I stayed a summer on the Big Island when I was a kid and just fell in love. Then this past Nov I was out again to look at land, jobs things like that.
We don't have any jobs lined up just yet but I was wondering how the pay is over there? Maby some of the large places like Home Depot, Wal-Mart and if anyone knows there starting pay? My husband is in the granite/stone bussiness now. He just need something that would pay the bills. We would be coming over with a good chunk of $ to buy the land and build the house, so just a job for food,gas and insurance.
I found some land in Fern Acres that I really liked. I have heard from others that I know that it is kinda a bad area?
I also wanted to know about solar power out in Puna. I know it is not that sunny but I wanted to hear from someone who lives in the area and is on solar and let me know how it works. Any info that would be useful in living off the grid would be cool too. Like composting toilets, growing fruits and veggies like what thing grow well in this area.
I know that the schools in this area are not that good and we are homeschooling now and would do the same out there. Are there any good homeschool groups for field trips, sports and just mommy support?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 AM
cwm

27 posts, read 149,116 times
Hi Beachmama.
Congratulations on your decision to move to the Big Island.
Here are some resources on jobs in the Hilo area Making an Income in Hilo, Hawaii. There are home schoolers in the area as well. The best resource is to join BigIslandHomeschoolers@yahoogroups.com
c

Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM

thanks for the info CWM.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM

13 posts, read 106,870 times
Aloha Beachmama,
In my experience, solar works pretty well for a decent part of the year, though I recommend it in addition to electricity, optimally, in this area. That's because of the months of rain we get in the winter months (maybe it's more like 6 weeks of rain... seems like months!). We're in Hawaiian Acres, right up the road. You can also sell power back to Helco depending on how much you produce. For Helco (electric) to run temporary electricity to your property you need to have permitted plans, for permanent you must have a permitted structure. To get a permit you have to also have cesspool/septic plans engineered (I'm pretty sure it would be cesspool in Fern Acres), so if you want to go that route, don't waste your money on a composting toilet since you'll need a cesspool anyway.
Congrats on your upcoming move! I know that a lot of people home school around here, many in our community here meet at the community center for activities. It's rather easy to network here on the island and find what you need. Best of luck!
~ Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmama23 View Post
my husband and 3 young children and I will be moving to the Puna area in Sep 2008. I stayed a summer on the Big Island when I was a kid and just fell in love. Then this past Nov I was out again to look at land, jobs things like that.
We don't have any jobs lined up just yet but I was wondering how the pay is over there? Maby some of the large places like Home Depot, Wal-Mart and if anyone knows there starting pay? My husband is in the granite/stone bussiness now. He just need something that would pay the bills. We would be coming over with a good chunk of $ to buy the land and build the house, so just a job for food,gas and insurance.
I found some land in Fern Acres that I really liked. I have heard from others that I know that it is kinda a bad area?
I also wanted to know about solar power out in Puna. I know it is not that sunny but I wanted to hear from someone who lives in the area and is on solar and let me know how it works. Any info that would be useful in living off the grid would be cool too. Like composting toilets, growing fruits and veggies like what thing grow well in this area.
I know that the schools in this area are not that good and we are homeschooling now and would do the same out there. Are there any good homeschool groups for field trips, sports and just mommy support?
Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 AM

thanks yurtgirl. Very helpful

Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 PM

25 posts, read 233,228 times
I a getting ready to leave the Big Island (Puna). I do not like here area at all and it is no paradise. Why? Drugs, the mentally ill, the deluded hippies, the drugs, no health care, no intellectualism, 11% inflation in two years, high DWI's and alcoholism, the lack of care to buildings and roads, young white kids with dreadlocks, the lack of aloha, the vog, the bad water, the mosquitoes, hitchhikers with a case of beer, the individualism, staph infections, seeing young kids doing heavy drugs at Kehena with no adult love, lack of buses, the dirty parks.

But I think it is that many come out here thinking it is paradise (and we all know if you want to ruin a place just call it "paradise") then they find it sucks and they transfer that negative energy to you.

Besides, I think the volcano is about to let forth, but that is just my opinion.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatoan View Post
I a getting ready to leave the Big Island (Puna). I do not like here area at all and it is no paradise. Why? Drugs, the mentally ill, the deluded hippies, the drugs, no health care, no intellectualism, 11% inflation in two years, high DWI's and alcoholism, the lack of care to buildings and roads, young white kids with dreadlocks, the lack of aloha, the vog, the bad water, the mosquitoes, hitchhikers with a case of beer, the individualism, staph infections, seeing young kids doing heavy drugs at Kehena with no adult love, lack of buses, the dirty parks.

But I think it is that many come out here thinking it is paradise (and we all know if you want to ruin a place just call it "paradise") then they find it sucks and they transfer that negative energy to you.

Besides, I think the volcano is about to let forth, but that is just my opinion.

I think this individual would make for a good campaign manager for one of the people running for president. I have seen these comments every where on these boards. Either 1. it is that bad.. or 2. They hate Hawaii with a passion!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I think this individual would make for a good campaign manager for one of the people running for president. I have seen these comments every where on these boards. Either 1. it is that bad.. or 2. They hate Hawaii with a passion!
or misery loves company

Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 159,837 times
Default Fern Acres

i would suggest spending some time really looking at each neighborhood before buying a piece of land (same would hold true anywhere you moved). also be aware that gas is currently at $3.60 a gallon and rising, groceries will probably be double what you are used to paying, our monthly groceries, family of 5 run over $1,000 a month (probably not typical but what we spend).

as for schools they are much better than people say and realize they do bad on standardized tests which is what gives them a bad reputation. in fact over 70% of kids graduate high school and 75% of those graduates go on to college.

with the price of real estate dropping like it is i would recommend taking time to find the location the really fits you and driving around the neighborhood at different times of the day to see if it's where you want to live. you will be glad you did, especially if you find that perfect dream lot you found is filled with the sound of a neighbors' rooster farm at 5 am (that you could not see but sure can hear).

Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM

thank for the info hilolarry. I now live in Va Beach and the groceries cost about the same as in Hawaii. When I was out there in Nov I was comparing prices the whole time on everything. What do you think about the Fern Acres area? I liked the "country" feel, but I also don't want "crack heads" walking up and down the street, as I have 3 small kids. We were looking more toward the front of the neighborhood if that means anything. I used an agent who I have known for 15 years and I would hope he steared me in the right/safe direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island