Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 03:57 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The internet "rumor" that nearly half the residents of Puna and/or Pāhoa voted for Donald Trump is completely false.

The "nearly half" number was only for "Precinct 03-03," which was a "pocket precinct" for Pāhoa that was "mail-in only." "Precinct 03-03" had 201 registered voters and only 45.8% (or 89 voters) bothered to return their ballots. Of those 89 voters, 41.6% (or 37 voters) voted for Trump. Thus, of the 201 registered voters in "Precinct 03-03," only 18.4% voted for Trump. Here's a link to the official data from the State of Hawaiʻi Office of Elections…
http://elections.hawaii.gov/wp-conte...s/precinct.pdf

As for the Puna district as a whole, only around 13,400 of its 24,400 registered voters bothered the vote in the last election. Of that 13,400 that voted, around 3,500 voted for Trump.

As for the folks in Puna that "border on the anti-social and want to be left alone," some of them are probably among the folks that aren't registered to vote or are among the registered voters that didn't bother with voting in the last election.
Thank you for that, although he probably still won't believe it. Most everyone I know here is either Democrat or anarchist. The only republicans I actually know are the couple across the street who "can't wait to get out of Puna" just as soon as they get 475 thousand for their 250 thousand dollar house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Puna, to me at least seems an area in conflict.

On the one hand - it seems very anti-government with its over the top KEEP OUT and NO TRESPASSING signs hence Republican.

On the other hand - you have an area so dependent on government assistance and therefore really needing the Democratics.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,891,496 times
"On the one hand - it seems very anti-government with its over the top KEEP OUT and NO TRESPASSING signs hence Republican."

Uh... have you ever actually been to Puna?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"On the one hand - it seems very anti-government with its over the top KEEP OUT and NO TRESPASSING signs hence Republican."

Uh... have you ever actually been to Puna?
Dozens of times.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:34 PM

38 posts, read 42,820 times
"Keep out" and "no trespassing" signs exist everywhere in the USA. It is an attempt to reduce liability from stupid people. I would not assign any political leanings to these signs.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howleeboy View Post
"Keep out" and "no trespassing" signs exist everywhere in the USA.
Having an opportunity to travel most of the US on a frequent basis and much of the world here is my observation.

Keep Out and No Trespassing are almost exclusive to the US.

And, within the US are predominantly found in Red State/Counties.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:54 PM

38 posts, read 42,820 times
Please tell us what Blue state/counties that you have found them to be be rare.
I have found them in western states and Latin countries to Costa Rica. The signs are so common they have become almost meaningless..

Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howleeboy View Post
Please tell us what Blue state/counties that you have found them to be be rare.
Let's see. I find them rare in San Francisco (where I once lived) - Seattle - Portland(where I once lived) LA.

Let's take for example - Oregon. You go outside Multnomah County and it's massively Red/Republican and becomes more No Trespassing/ Keep Out.

You can do the same for Washington. Rare in Seattle and Tacoma. Go outside that it gets red and so do the No Trespassing and Keep Out signs.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 966 times
Interesting that you picked large metropolitan areas that have little private open space available to "trespass" on. Maybe the reason you see so many no trespassing signs outside large metro areas is because the city dwellers become used to parks and other open areas being publicly owned and don't respect the rights of the property owners. We owned farm ground outside a metro area and didn't need no trespassing signs for many years. Then we began having troubles with vandalism, theft, harassment of our livestock and damage to the fences and soil due to people thinking they had a right to drive all over and use our property for their amusement and sport. Politics had nothing to do with it (unless the perpetrators were liberals and didn't value the rights of others). Republicans that I know aren't anti government, they want less government, waste and to give people a hand up not a handout. They don't want generations living off the backs & hard work of others. They want everyone to become a functioning & contributing part of society when at all possible, not just a leach. I myself am a registered Independent, because I choose not to sell my sole to any big party. I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton because neither of them were a good choice in my opinion for the country.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:19 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
When I lived in Hawaiian Acres, the Neighborhood Watch hadn't been started so there were upwards of 500 thefts per month in the subdivision. The police told me that unless the property was posted 'no trespassing', you couldn't enforce it. I forget how many feet between signs they recommended, though. So, a lot of folks have the signs up just in case there will be someone they want to file charges against at some point. After Neighborhood Watch was started, the thefts dropped dramatically, but this was decades ago so I don't know what the current conditions are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island