Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,143,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yikes! All I can say is it must have been pretty bad to do that to a neighbor.
It was.
And I opened myself up to CityData scorn to drive home the point to OP that the gamble of going without a permit is just not worth it.
If you can't afford to build a tiny, permitted home, you probably can't afford to make it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 05:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,587,358 times
Grassy Knoll is one of the nicest guys I know. He has integrated well into the community and is active in our local volunteer organization. If one of his neighbors upset him, them it had to be really bad.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:41 PM

38 posts, read 42,245 times
Living in Hawaii, and I'm sure Puna especially, can really test the limits of "tolerance".
I haven't turned any of my pilau neighbors in for anything, but I have 1 good neighbor that I know who has. I completely understand and pass no judgement.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,733,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howleeboy View Post
Living in Hawaii, and I'm sure Puna especially, can really test the limits of "tolerance".
What are you all up to over there on the BI? All we have here on Maui is meth heads and the occasional psycho-killer.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,143,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Grassy Knoll is one of the nicest guys I know. He has integrated well into the community and is active in our local volunteer organization. If one of his neighbors upset him, them it had to be really bad.
Shoot, there goes my street-cred and tough guy image
Thanks for the kind words DOH.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:08 AM

293 posts, read 358,838 times
Just curious. What does a building permit in Hawai'i cost now days? I am sure it depends on size and complexity.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:11 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,886,891 times
Permit costs depend on the type of structure involved. For a dwelling unit, there are a few that can still be built without an architect or engineer's stamp so that will cut down on the fees somewhat.

1. you need drawings, you can draw them yourself if you can draw them correctly. Plot plan with dimensions, set backs, TMK number, owner's data, etc. etc. Foundation Plan. Floor Plan showing the basic dimensions and rooms and such. Roof Framing Plan. Section A. Section B. Elevations A, B, C & D. Enough details to show various specific tricky bits. Kitchen & bath elevations. Electrical plan. Various Notes and such. Two copies of the plans when you submit for the permit if it's a dwelling, three sets for some of the other types of permits.

You can either draw them up yourself, hire a draftsperson or an architect/engineer to draw them up. Depending on who and how, there will be some costs to getting this done.

2. For most of the plans you will need to have an architect's or engineer's stamp on the drawings. This amount varies depending on the structure and who's doing the stamping. Stamps run from $500 to $3,000 depending on who as well as the structure involved. Usually towards the lower end when it's a small residence.

3. You'll need a septic engineer's drawings and stamp, that's roughly about $500 to $1,500, depending on things, although it's been awhile since I've dealt directly with one of them.

4. The actual permit fee isn't too much, just a couple of hundred or so, depending on the size of the structure. The exact numbers or a pretty close estimate is on the Building Department's website.

For a small building, a really rough ballpark estimate is about $500 to $700 have the plans drawn, $500 to $700 for the engineer's stamp, $500 to $700 for the septic engineer's stamp and about $200 for the actual permit. So, just under a couple of thousand in cash money and a bit of bother dealing with various folks, but that gains you a structure that is legal, can be insured as well as mortgaged. It also makes it worth much more than that when it comes time to sell it.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:20 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,572,075 times
Wow, thanks hotz. you really know your stuff.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,886,891 times
Thanks, Leilaniguy *blush* Only about some things, on other things I'm totally clueless. Just like most folks, I imagine. Together all of us are smarter than any one of us. Which is the beauty of forums.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 AM

48 posts, read 61,404 times
I know that if the OP ever intends to sell that will be difficult with an unpermitted home. I know that I wouldn't consider an unpermitted purchase for the reasons listed already. A lot of commitment financially and emotionally let alone physically with very little to recoup in the end if you ever try to sell. JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: