Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,725,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
What kind of work on the Big Island pays $100K?
Let's see - off the top of head besides an MD.

Attorneys

GM/VP or other senior staff at resorts

Senior Police/Fire staff (starting salary for Hawaii Island) PD is $57K.

Business owners and some of their staff depending on function

Top real estate agents

Top Home remodelers - various trade people.

And on and on.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:45 AM

11,047 posts, read 23,857,204 times
Well, she said she had a friend who just graduated and got a $100K job on the Big Island. She didn't mention what school they graduated from or what degree they have and since it was a friend, I doubt she asked to see a pay stub for verification. Sounds nice, though.

Although, if they just graduated school and this is their starting job, what sort of school did they graduate from? Do beginning doctors or dentists get $100K? A little Googling around and on a list of the eleven top paying jobs just out of college, they start out at high school teacher - $43K and go up to an associate investment banker who starts at $73K or if you can manage to be an investment banker, that's the only one listed with a just out of school over $100K per year job. But, hey, her friend said that's what he was making so who knows? Maybe he's related to someone at the company.

Another site had the top fifty jobs and just out of school, most of the ones that paid well weren't applicable to this island. Petrochemical engineers, nuclear engineers, etc.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 AM

354 posts, read 382,374 times
Hey guys!
Thanks to jakdnda for resurrecting this thread!

We haven't moved yet but plan to (due to dog quarantine) in August or fall of this year.

We haven't started looking for jobs yet. I think it's a bit too early but will start next month.

I will be working for myself so I am good on my job. Though my degree is mechanical engineering and my experience is management in the construction world.

My bf is also a construction manager- he is a superintendent and has a stellar resume. His friend who just got a job out of there was also in construction management, but I'm not 100% sure he went to the big island.

As we get closer to the move, we have decided we will not be moving without the bf having a job just because we both realize we can go thru savings fast and it's an ISLAND so before we move everything and sell our house stuff...we better have some stability.

So we will be looking on big island but eventually opening it up to other islands if he can't find something there.

Eventually we would find our way back to big island anyways. But just to start, we gotta go where the job takes us.

We are determining where we live based on where he works.

And davephan, you sound like the people on the boards 5 years ago when I told citydata I was planning on moving from Ohio to San Diego! Lots of non believers and "realistic" minded folk...but I did just fine! Got more job offers than I knew what to do with, from a girl with not a single connection and not from their "highly respected and competitive" universities.

I will say, when I put my mind to something, it gets done. And the universe generally aligns to make it happen too.

We both have excellent resumes, and yes we are realistic, but we also know that sometimes you gotta leap and the ground will appear!

😊

Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,727,353 times
It's interesting what happens to people who move to Maui. Some (a lot?) don't make it but some really do well. We have a friend who moved here 30 years ago without a penny. Lived cheaply, did whatever to make ends meet, farming, worked on dive boats, flower arranging, played for wedding parties, whatever. She is smart and very personable and has an eye for design and somehow got started in interior design. About 10 years ago it really took off for her and now she is highly paid, in high demand. Amazing transformation from a hippy to doing quite well.

So, OP, basically there is opportunity here for people who are willing to put in time to find their niche. But it can take time and a lot of people get fed up and leave.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Yes!! I totally get that. I have basically done the same thing in San Diego but not in the hippy aspect- moreso in the corporate aspect! Hopping around doing different things until I found something that suited me, and now I've left corporate entirely!

I've also worked for a few modeling companies, and basically have landed EVERY single job I've ever interviewed for (ok I'm really NOT trying to sound cocky, that's not how I mean it) so I feel like the whole PEOPLE skills and hardwork aspect comes easily to me- I am naturally a "worry-wart" but the job front actually doesn't worry me personally, but I know Hawaii is a whole new ballgame with politics and it's own complicating aspects as well.

My boyfriend is a really hard worker and is also really great with people. Luckily he also has a great skillset with being in the construction industry for a decade. I REALLY hope he can find something that pays over $70k. He currently makes just over $100k, and I'm coming out of corporate at just under $90k.

Soooo- we know we will be downsizing on lifestyle to live off of ONE income of $70k or up, and my business income will be going in our future house fund. Don't even get me started on my daydreams of fixing up our dream home in Waimea!

We are crossing our fingers and preparing for everything to work out!!! And we just got good news about the dog yesterday- she has passed her FAVN rabies test so she is now ALLOWED in!!

Yayy!!!

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 AM

69 posts, read 75,492 times
I think that it is unlikely to make that type of money. I am an administrator with thirty five years of leader ship experience in the mental health field and I do not know anyone who makes that type of money. I was able to afford a nice house at the ocean because I brought enough money with me to put down a large down payment becauase my salary was not going to go as far.

As far as modeling, the big island is very laid back, many of us do not even wear makeup after living here for awhile. My weekend clothes are tye dye tshirts and shorts. I have only worn closed toe shoes once to work since arriving. This is not like California where people are concerned about appearances. People are concerned about community and taking care of each other. Kona is much more similar to the California Values of needing to try to impress others with appearance than the rest of the Island. Honolulu would be similar to San Diego.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Thanks Tisambas1,
I think you may be surprised to learn more about the construction industry- it's not uncommon to earn a large salary especially for the superintendents and leaders there. Yes...even in Hawaii this is not all that uncommon, from what I've heard AND the job postings I've seen as well.

Regarding my experience with modeling, thanks for your feedback on the other islands but I know the vibe of Big Island and that is why we've chosen to go there. I was merely demonstrating my openness to take on odd jobs and have interpersonal skills. I am getting out of Southern California for a reason.

Honolulu, Oahu and living in Kona is out of the question. If I wanted the hustle and bustle of a city, I'd just stay in San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island