Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:56 PM

186 posts, read 345,972 times

Advertisements

Any place on the island I can rent a skidster or machine like this? Will they allow me to tow it with a 1/4 ton truck? (some places do not allow a 1/4 ton to tow for insurance reasons)

What do people on the BI use to excavate in lava rock? I've got a jackhammer, but not sure if that will work down there? I can get a jackhammer attachment on a skidster if they carry that down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 05:39 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Try punaislandwiderentals.com

Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
Any place on the island I can rent a skidster or machine like this? Will they allow me to tow it with a 1/4 ton truck? (some places do not allow a 1/4 ton to tow for insurance reasons)

What do people on the BI use to excavate in lava rock? I've got a jackhammer, but not sure if that will work down there? I can get a jackhammer attachment on a skidster if they carry that down there.
Backhoe or excavator with hydraulic hammer is used on lava rock.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Backhoe or excavator with hydraulic hammer is used on lava rock.
So a hydraulic hammer on a bobcat/skidster would have enough power? I could rent one of those for $250/day. Not looking to do the whole lot, just a few deep holes, so I can sink some sonotubes in there. Only large hole would be for the septic tank. The lots I'm looking at have been 24"-80" of soil depth, based on soil surveys.

How about pouring a concrete driveway onto the lava. Namely the smooth lava, I can't remember what it's called. I would imagine that lava would be an excellent base.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
It's Paho'eho'e, the chunky lava is A'a. I'm not sure where you got your soil surveys from, soil depth in Puna is 0 to 1-2 inches at most on average.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
So a hydraulic hammer on a bobcat/skidster would have enough power? I could rent one of those for $250/day. Not looking to do the whole lot, just a few deep holes, so I can sink some sonotubes in there. Only large hole would be for the septic tank. The lots I'm looking at have been 24"-80" of soil depth, based on soil surveys.

How about pouring a concrete driveway onto the lava. Namely the smooth lava, I can't remember what it's called. I would imagine that lava would be an excellent base.
Bobcat power on lava rock? Maybe, maybe not. Some of it can be pretty damn hard. Blasting out the big hole would definitely be a challenge. A guy with a backhoe doing my cesspool ended up using some dynamite to get the job done.

I'd suggest saving your concrete dollars for something more worthwhile than a driveway poured over pahoehoe.
What's the point? It's already just as functional as concrete or asphalt and looks much better, IMO. Just dump some cinder or gravel in low spots, if any, to level it out.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:01 PM

130 posts, read 152,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
It's Paho'eho'e, the chunky lava is A'a. I'm not sure where you got your soil surveys from, soil depth in Puna is 0 to 1-2 inches at most on average.
Mauka of Hwy 11 up in Mountain View and Glenwood there is some deep soil. Do you remember Pam Lamont talking about how sloppy it got during rainy periods?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Bobcat power on lava rock? Maybe, maybe not. Some of it can be pretty damn hard. Blasting out the big hole would definitely be a challenge. A guy with a backhoe doing my cesspool ended up using some dynamite to get the job done.

I'd suggest saving your concrete dollars for something more worthwhile than a driveway poured over pahoehoe.
What's the point? It's already just as functional as concrete or asphalt and looks much better, IMO. Just dump some cinder or gravel in low spots, if any, to level it out.
Thanks buddy, your advice has been very helpful so far. Always ready to go cheaper, as long as I don't sacrifice functionality!

Old 01-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Right here: https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm

According to those surveys, you've got large areas with over 80" of topsoil. I actually located parcels in those areas, and they are significantly more expensive, so it doesn't seem like this is a secret. I would suggest using that site, it is tricky, but man, it can be very enlightening.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post
Mauka of Hwy 11 up in Mountain View and Glenwood there is some deep soil. Do you remember Pam Lamont talking about how sloppy it got during rainy periods?
I'm seeing about 24" of soil in many parts of the areas you mentioned. Seems to be some erosion issues, but good runoff, as well.

https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island