Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Does someone who breaks into a car 3 times deserve to spend the rest of his life in jail?

In my opinion, YES and more...

The Big Island is perfect for a "take no prisoners" 5 year experiment.

Over the next 5 years, every person convicted of burglary, theft, larceny, armed robbery, car theft (including chop shops), knowingly receiving stolen property, etc would be first tortured (to give up the names of accomplices and other participants) and then executed.

No need for prisons (why should taxpayers have to house and feed criminals when so many hard working honest folks struggle to make ends meet only to have their personal property stolen?)

Crime would drop dramatically on the Big Island and its' residents would be able to take their island back.

Criminals are nothing more than parasites that need to be exterminated!

That reminds me, anyone have a can of raid or black flag? I've got a little trail of ants out back by the car port that I need to exterminate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
OK I gottcha And I agree with you, not all cities controlled by democrats are a nightmare.
Excellent ... now we can both sleep better

Old 02-18-2018, 08:35 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Also, Tiger Beer keeps saying the US has the highest incarceration rates in the world. Are you sure or are you just posting things on the Internet without doing the research (as so many people do)? So the USA has higher incarceration rates than Brazil? Mexico? El Salvador? Venezuela? Etc...? Those countries have far, far, far higher violent crime rates and homicide rates then the USA. I do agree though that USA incarceration rates are way too high...and because of one reason, non violent drug offenders getting locked up. Too many people doing time for selling weed. Hopefully as that gets legalized there will be less people jailed for selling weed and cut down on prison population.
Yes, it's true that the US has the highest incarceration rate. OECD data makes an interesting comparison, showing that while our rate is by far the highest of all their countries, our social spending is the lowest per capita.

Those in jail for selling marijuana constitute less than 2% of prison population nationally.

Seems to me that those complaining about our justice system being too lax and "liberal" are uninformed. We've been the kings on earth of "lock em up" for several decades now, even better than those macho Russians who seem so popular with many Americans these days. Prisons are overflowing in most states, including Hawaii, and these accommodations are expensive.

Whatever the solution to petty crime is, it's not likely to be "beat em up" or " just kill em". Those strategies were abandoned centuries ago.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:37 PM

206 posts, read 466,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
HOVE pretty much has the same problems as most of Puna, especially the big half build subdivisions where there's a lot of spread apart houses and such. Until the residents band together and get a Neighborhood Watch, the problem will pretty much remain.

There's been a neighborhood watch in Ocean view for many years. vacant houses, lack of economic opportunity--lots of houses but no water, no schools, no jobs are all a huge problem and is what exacerbates drug addiction and crime. Howeer, there really isn't that much crime in Ocean view.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:57 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
There's been a neighborhood watch in Ocean view for many years. vacant houses, lack of economic opportunity--lots of houses but no water, no schools, no jobs are all a huge problem and is what exacerbates drug addiction and crime. Howeer, there really isn't that much crime in Ocean view.
Actually, there are a lot of thefts and burglary in HOVE. Unfortunately I can't find any statistics on-line, but when our neighborhood watch group meets with the community police officers they are always giving us some pretty high numbers. The problem, as you've said, is the large number of vacant homes and no way to watch them all due to the sheer size of the subdivision.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:48 PM

206 posts, read 466,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Actually, there are a lot of thefts and burglary in HOVE. Unfortunately I can't find any statistics on-line, but when our neighborhood watch group meets with the community police officers they are always giving us some pretty high numbers. The problem, as you've said, is the large number of vacant homes and no way to watch them all due to the sheer size of the subdivision.
My experience of living in HOvE for 8-9 years was that there wasn't much crime, regardless of the statistics. In such a large area, you probably aren't going to know, hear about or be affected by every petty crime, though if you don't actually live there, it's easy to read statistics and see alarms. The rest of Kau has drug and property related crimes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island