Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 AM

65 posts, read 86,359 times

Advertisements

Since I used this forum to research options for my move I thought I'd share my experiences in hopes that it would help others.

I moved from Oregon to start a job in Honokaa. I got here about a week ago and got my 2 dogs here, 2 vehicles and a shipping container.

1. Shipping container and vehicles.

We used Kona Container Guy www.konacontainerguy.com They had several options for container sizes. They had someone local come to the house to give us an idea of what size we would need. We downsized quite a bit so went with a 10x20' container. They drop off the container (still on the trailer) for 5 days at the house and then pick it up after it is loaded. It is then delivered on the other end anywhere on the island. We had it delivered to a storage facility in Kona while we look for a house to buy. Everything arrived in great shape.

We had them ship our 2 trucks as well. My truck arrived 10 days early which was actually very good since it saved me a bunch on a rental car. They pick up the trucks at the house and deliver to a drop off facility in Kona. You can track the ship online as well.

Lauren was very responsive to all the questions we had and we were very happy with the service.

Im sure prices vary by where you are coming from. Form Oregon our total was around $10k

2. Pets.

It is much easier to fly a person with ebola to the USA than get your pets to Hawaii. I would border on saying the requirements to prove your pets dont have rabies is absurd. Given rabies will kill a dog in 10 days, having to wait 120 days after 2 separate vaccines and testing is just a bit wacky.

Anyway, I would recommend planning on more than 6 months to get the process done if you dont want them to be in quarantine. Plan on spending about $1000 per pet. This includes the $400 rabies test that can only be done at one test center in the US and they take their time. Vet visit needs to get done within 10 days of the flight (14 for Hawaii but 10 for the airline) So plan way ahead.

We did a direct release to Kona using Kona Vet service. They were very nice.
www.konavetservice.com/

You can only do a direct to neighboring island release if the flight to the island is direct from the US (cant go to Honolulu first). Alaska has flights that do this and they allow small pets to go into the cabin with you.

More info here www.konavetservice.com/direlease

3. Renting.

Yes, it is tough to find a rental. I actually had to book few months on airbnb in vacation rentals since there were no month to month rentals up North (except one place that wanted $47,000 a month). Even less that accept pets so my dogs are in boarding for the next month (another $1800). Consider looking for rentals well before your move.

4. Finding a house.
We are using Hawaii Life www.hawaiilife.com/ Our realtor Mike has been very nice. He has been very helpful with steering us away from homes where the price is way more than what houses would appraise for. We are still looking but it has been a good experience.

Beware the Home Owners Associations. I found the website of one that is in Waimea of a house I was looking at. Luckily they posted their meeting minutes online because seeing how many fines they were giving out, some as high as $13,000, made me drop the idea of living there in an instant.

Since being here everyone has been very friendly, the food has been great, the coqui frogs have a very nice lullaby at night to fall asleep to. The wild goats are suicidal though. I've almost hit 3 when driving just in the past week

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 01:11 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,580,339 times
Congratulations on your move.

Congratulations on your move. Sorry your dog's are in boarding, they must miss you, that's only your fault. Oh, AirBnB isn't the best place to look for a place to stay, should have looked in to that before, Ey what? "Hawaii Life" is a local joke here.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:21 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,933,180 times
E como mai, Bolus!

Sounds terrible for your dogs to be in boarding. Can your employer help you find a place? I know folks who pay a lot less than $1,800 a month for rent, seems a bit crazy for it to cost that much for just two dogs. Are they extra large dogs?

Good luck on your house hunting, one will appear soon hopefully.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:46 AM

65 posts, read 86,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Congratulations on your move.

Congratulations on your move. Sorry your dog's are in boarding, they must miss you, that's only your fault. Oh, AirBnB isn't the best place to look for a place to stay, should have looked in to that before, Ey what? "Hawaii Life" is a local joke here.

For the rentals, yes it was tough. I looked through more than Airbnb. All the usual rental places. Craiglist, zillow, trulia, homeaway, VRBO. etc. etc. I had 3 realtors looking as well as a request at my work and they were contacting anyone they knew. I put in applications to several places for a rental that was not a vacation rental and no luck. I did find a place that advertised at $4500 a month that would take pets but they did not respond to questions. I even considered getting a cottage at Kalopa state park but they dont allow dogs either.
It is pretty tight for rentals up here.

(I am not looking in Hilo though. I need to drive to Hawi 2 days a week for work and I was not going to drive 2+hours)

So I am where I am, though not for the lack of trying.

Like I said, Mike at Hawaii life has been very helpful. very responsive to questions, has been giving good advice. Perhaps my experience is not the average, but I'd still recommend them.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 PM

28 posts, read 39,017 times
Heh, I'm pretty sure leilaniguy was referring to Hawaii Life the TV show. Like many house hunting shows, it's said that most of what occurs on the show is fake, and it's also criticized for glossing over most of the hard parts about actually living here.

I guess the real estate agency of the same name is heavily linked to the show. But that aside, they are a legitimate company so I wouldn't worry.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 AM

As far as I know the two are connected, which makes them both tainted and both BS.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 AM

85 posts, read 98,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
As far as I know the two are connected, which makes them both tainted and both BS.
I have met two people from that show.
Both have said just as much.
One of them said the he and his partner had lived in their house for over a year before being approached.
Thus is television.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,149,793 times
l'll admit, when we moved here I let my wife pick out the house we bought as well as the Real Estate company we used. It was Hawai'i Life and the agent was one who lives in Ka'u and has appeared on the show. I have been involved in numerous real estate transactions and the Hawai'i Life agent performed professionally.
I think most people that live here just don't appreciate the way the show portrays that living here is a decision that be seemingly made on a whim. I agree with that sentiment, but that is the reality of entertainment for you.
We were also asked if we wanted to film an episode nearly 4 months post-closing. So yeah, it's all staged.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 AM

Anybody who's lived here for any length of time knows truth from BS, and "Hawaii Life" is pure, unadulterated TV BS.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,546,597 times
what about American jungle? isn't that real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island