Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM

15 posts, read 92,397 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job at the university in Hilo and I'd like as much info as I can get before we decide to accept or not. This is mostly for those who have lived on the mainland before but I'd love input from anyone. We're from Utah and have 4 kids under 10. Does it really rain every day? Does that bother you? Are there any areas with better weather that are within commutable distance to Hilo? What is the public school system like? I've heard not that great but from searches I've done there seem to be a few good ones. Do you have to live within their boundaries for your kid to go there? What are the best areas to live for families? What is the health care like? We plan on having one more child and it will be my 5th C-section so I'm concerned about the quality of the doctors and hospital. I've read that a lot of doctors won't accept new patients. Is this true and if so what do you do? What kind of community activities are available for my kids like sports, dance, etc.? I'd love any information you could give me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM

21 posts, read 75,265 times
hi ellen..i live here in Puna 20 minutes drive to Hilo...Hilo is ok but houses more expensive..we are thinking of moving to the mainland..my place which is Puna as far as my experience is not a good place to live..

Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,290,304 times
aysohilo - Youth Soccer in Hilo Hawaii

Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawaii - Activities in Hawaii | Home

Center Stage Dance Studio in Hilo - Pier Sircello - Ballet, Hip Hop, Ballroom, Yoga

Hilo YWCA: Improving Lives by Forwarding the Mission

Hi Ellenbron,

The links above are for just the first few things that came to mind regarding your questions about activities for children in Hilo.

I have several friends who have children of various ages and they are always cheerfully complaining about how busy their childrens schedules keep them. There will be no lack of activities if you want to get involved.

If you are going to have several children involved in activities in Hilo town, I would recommend making this a strong consideration in determining where you choose to live. We know several families who make many trips into Hilo from up the Hamakua coast a way....one is actually in the process of moving into the Waiakea area just to cut out some of the time they spend on the road every day transporting the kids and doing errands.

There are a lot of diverse opinions here in these forums about what it is like to live in East Hawaii. It is important to take all these perspectives into consideration and then to visit for yourself and see how you respond to this place. I personally feel that I have a very nice life here. I work in a professional environment as well as out in the community, socalize with wonderful people (from here and from places around the globe), enjoy the natural beauty of the island and keep myself challenged in a number of ways.

About the only thing I miss here is having good shopping...the Prince Kuhio Mall doesn't have much to offer in comparison to Charlotte and Honolulu (I lived in both cities before moving here). But thanks to internet shopping and the occasional trip to Honolulu or to the shops in the resorts on the Kohala coast, I do OK!

(Hopefully others can give you better insight into the hospitals here....I can say that when a friend of mine had her baby recently, she went to Waimea. I've been lucky to not have needed any type of urgent care or hospital care myself. I have a great eye doctor, and have never had a problem scheduling appointments for other routine check-ups as needed.)

Please let me know if I can answer other questions for you about Hilo...and good luck with your decision.

With aloha,

Cynthia

PS--about the rain. It does rain a lot here...but not every day. We are just coming off about a 3 week period with no rain. Many clear, beautiful days. But when it doesn't rain for a week or so and I have to start watering my plants, I get impatient for the rain to come back. There is no real way to pin down the rain patterns. Sometimes the rains are overnight rains, sometimes it will rain for days at a time. I just keep an umbrella in the car and go with the flow. We did have an unusually wet period just a month or so ago. If you live here, you just learn to adjust. If it rains for a week and we are ready for a break, we simply take a drive to the Kohala coast for the day. Truthfully, I find a certain security in the rain. I am happy to be in a place where water is abundant.

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 03-14-2008 at 12:21 AM..

Old 03-20-2008, 03:32 AM
cwm

27 posts, read 148,834 times
hi Ellen,
We moved to Hilo from California and love it. I was worried the rain would bother my husband - he is a sun person, but it doesn't drizzle or last long and the sun light usualy filters through so it never feel dreary.
We homeschool, so I can't offer any advice about the schools. But there are lots of happy kids in our neighborhood, nearby parks, lots of activities and people here are very family oriented. A wonderful place to have a family.
The neighborhood you pick will greatly impact your experience. Take time to pick the place that best suits you and consider the time to commute and the cost of gas before picking a long way out of town.
Good luck with your move.
chris

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-16-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 AM

118 posts, read 670,567 times
I really enjoyed your website "Living in Hilo." It made me feel as if I was talking to a very honest friend that doesn't hold anything back; that's very refreshing these days. I appreciate your extensive work, but tell me please, how in the world do you find the time? I look forward to visiting your site as often as I can. Please keep up the great work, and know that there are surely many others like myself that love your work.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:01 PM

126 posts, read 687,348 times
If I had the money I would send my kids to St. Joe's. Otherwise, the Hilo schools are pretty good.

St. Joseph Jr-Sr High School, Hilo Hawai'i

Old 03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
cwm

27 posts, read 148,834 times
Thanks Paddywaggons for your kind words.
I am a laid off workaholic and I enjoy writing.
If you have any suggestions for hiloliving content - I am all ears.
cwm

Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 PM

15 posts, read 92,397 times
Default thanks everyone

I really appreciate your responses. This will be a really huge decision for us and I want to make sure I am well informed and prepared for what it will be like. The rain has actually been a big concern for me. I've been worried that it would really bother both my husband and I so the reassurances about the rain are helpful. It's so great having a place like this to come and get information so we're not going into it with unrealistic expectations. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 14,614 times
I must agree with Paddywagons, Chris ... That's one slammin' site you've put together there in your spare time. I spent hours going through it and came away with loads of information and inspiration.

The Hilo tourist board should be paying you for what you've done, or maybe I should? In fact, if I move there and end up as happy as you are about it, expect a check.

I'm in PA myself and considering the same move you've made.

Thanks for your encouragement and effort,

Rev. Bud Palm

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-16-2009 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: please, no mention of illegal activity.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 18,632 times
Smile Hi there I as well am wanting to move to Hawaii, please assist

Hi there,
I currently reside in Orlando, FL. I have it in my hear to move my family to Hawaii to find a new beggining, peace, relaxation and a time for us to bond.
I love my family and due to fear of leaving them I have not moved but I am not ready to just get up and go and start a life with just my immediate family as we have been through so much this past year.

My fourth child (is actually my nephew) whom I took custody of when My sister passed away and it is very important that he feels like part of the family.

I am however afraid in a way of such a big move as that will entitle starting from scratch. I would like to know what area is reasonably priced, schools, work and cost of living...example (milk? and gas?)

If you have any words of wisdom please assist.

P.S. It is also important to go somewhere where there is an assembly of God church close by.

Thank you and bless you

Marisol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island