Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:21 AM

Location: I'm in the living room. That's kind of a weird question to ask.
61 posts, read 51,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
I have to admit, I never heard the word thermosiphon before. It's name is self descriptive but I looked it up anyway. Nice to learn new words.

I really doubt your going to find someone on this forum experienced in building one. Kind of a limited audience for such an unusual project. A previous poster was right on when mentioning the TV show Stranger Things. Here are some instructions:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1753...as-not-far-off
Thanks for the reply 67Cam.

Ive built a few solar hot water heater projects in the past and the theory that hot water rises shouldn't have triggered the regular posters trolls as it did!
That reaction was a little surprising but maybe not THAT surprising.

My rule of thumb is if I dont have something constructive to contribute to a thread, i don't contribute.
But its a free country so "Haters, Back Off" (that is a netflix show btw).

So it was really more a curiosity about wether id run into problems flowing the water because of all that salt.
Will it stay in an aqueous phase or will it separate, will i need a small pump to get it moving, etc., etc.
ill figure it out myself. I always do.

I appreciate your thoughtful response and that you took the time to look up a word you were unfamiliar with.
That is a testament to your character. IMHO

Not sure how to end this thread after that awkward exchange ...

Go CDF ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:24 AM

130 posts, read 152,670 times
I know of no float tanks on the Island, but I sure wish I did. They are the best relaxation you can get bar none. Best of luck, Mr. P. There are a number of design issues when making your own, not the least of which is getting hundreds of pounds of epsom salts.

For those who have never been in one of these tanks, you are suspended in a solution of epsom salts at just below body temperature in a dark quiet environment. I believe they were invented by Dr. John Lily, who eventually went on to become one of the world's preeminent dolphin researchers. He wrote a book called "The Scientist" detailing his experiments with psychoactive drugs (particularly ketamine) in isolation tanks and his subsequent break from reality. This was eventually made into a movie (Altered States) that was so completely 'hollywooded' as to be unrecognizable.

If you don't go nuts on drugs that can make you kooky, isolation tanks are great for those with lower back pain, incredibly relaxing and a great way to improve your quality of life. I'd say two hours in a tank are better than the best night of sleep I've had in the last 30 years.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post
I know of no float tanks on the Island, but I sure wish I did. They are the best relaxation you can get bar none. Best of luck, Mr. P. There are a number of design issues when making your own, not the least of which is getting hundreds of pounds of epsom salts.

For those who have never been in one of these tanks, you are suspended in a solution of epsom salts at just below body temperature in a dark quiet environment. I believe they were invented by Dr. John Lily, who eventually went on to become one of the world's preeminent dolphin researchers. He wrote a book called "The Scientist" detailing his experiments with psychoactive drugs (particularly ketamine) in isolation tanks and his subsequent break from reality. This was eventually made into a movie (Altered States) that was so completely 'hollywooded' as to be unrecognizable.

If you don't go nuts on drugs that can make you kooky, isolation tanks are great for those with lower back pain, incredibly relaxing and a great way to improve your quality of life. I'd say two hours in a tank are better than the best night of sleep I've had in the last 30 years.
Now thats the kind of response i was hoping to get when i posted the thread.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,800 times
Hmmmm, there isn't anything Hawai'i specific about your original post (other than asking Hawai'I peeps if they use one). There are numerous Isolation Tank forums that may yield you much better replies than what the usual cast of yahoos and miscreants here will offer up (self included).
Floatation Forum - How to Build Floatation Tanks & More

I was always intrigued by the though of trying an isolation tank, William Hurts' experiences be damned.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:04 PM

268 posts, read 383,207 times
Reading the article I linked there are some obstacles to overcome.

An inflatable pool could be the cheapest, but you need enough space to not bump the sides. Earplugs and a mask to block sound and light.

Your tank needs to hold you, and at least 10 inches or 150 gallons of water. It should probably also be big enough to float in without hitting the sides and ruining the effect. Any larger inflatable pool should do the trick

Seems the amount of salt you'd need for tha volume is significant;

Preferably Epsom Salts, 800 pounds for that amount of water, and not stolen from your school's cafeteria. I would be careful buying large quantities, due to bath salts abuse, but epsom salts and ice melt comes in pretty big bags.

Plus you need to heat it and maintain a pretty exact temperature to get the right effect.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Hmmmm, there isn't anything Hawai'i specific about your original post (other than asking Hawai'I peeps if they use one).
Excellent point Grassyknoll!
(I hate to admit defeat but you critics were 100% right.)

OK, now i need to go soak for a few hours in my brand new homemade Hawaiian ISOLATION TANK!

Mr. P

Old 11-27-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Reading the article I linked there are some obstacles to overcome.
Plus you need to heat it and maintain a pretty exact temperature to get the right effect.
Yes.
Very precise temp control to achieve the desired effect... Agreed.

I guess i could still use the thermosiphon but maybe just as a preheater and add a small tank heater for the fine tuning.

I think ill try to keep a log to get some data.

The thing that made the project attractive was the stable temps and sunlight. Kinda a good fit for off grid hawaii use because, if designed specked right, of the low energy load/ no parasitic load...

Now you got me scratching my head...

Its gonna be a fun build.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
What im predicting is that at some point during the day the thermosiphon will produce the perfect temp.
At what time and for how long im not sure. Hopefully it will be 5 minutes after i pull in the driveway after work, not sure.
Ill track it for a week with a digi therm and see if its even possible to reach the optimum temp.

I know a lot of guys with solar heated hot tubs can easily reach 100*+ degrees so 98.5* degrees should be doable.

But you are right, the desired effects seem to be VERY temp sensitive. I should include in my containment vessels choices some type of oblong enclosed water tank or culvert type pipe.
I like the portability of a kidde pool but also a good quality horizontal tank of maybe 500 gallon filled to whatever level i need.

Gotta think outside the box here...

Last edited by Misterperfect; 11-27-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 08:12 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
This post reminded me as a young lad in 1980 seeing this film with my father in the theater:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_States

Thanks for the memories!

Old 11-27-2017, 09:21 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
There's a guy in Kea'au that has one, rents it out. I've seen it but not tried it; it's a commercial model. I can get you contact info if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island