Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 16,105 times

Advertisements

Can anyone simply explain or summarize, when you see the following regarding agriculture land zoning?

A-1
A-5
A-5a

Can you subdivide? Can you building more than one residence. Sometime I see land for sale that has A-5 zoning and the real estate ad says you can build 2 homes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
The first place to start in understanding the rules for what can and can’t be built on land zoned “agricultural” in Hawaii County would be to consult Chapter 25 of the county code regarding zoning. County of Hawaii - County Code
I will also say, having recently dealt with the county planning and health department in regards to zoning issues, there are a lot of regulations that are either widely ignored or simply unenforceable. In dealing with our issues it became readily appearant that a large number of ag operations are in violation of ordinances that are not generally enforced. But as happens here, all you need is one neighbor that IS aware of the ordinances to make a call that will cause you a huge headache. Just putting this out there as you may get advice regarding what you can do based on personal experiences and what a lot of folks do, rather than on what is in the ordinances.

Last edited by Grassyknoll; 12-26-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 06:33 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Agree with Grassy Knoll. Don't rely on the real estate ad to give you zoning advice. Especially in Hawaii!

Old 12-26-2017, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 16,105 times
Grassyknoll, thanks for the information. I've printed out a copy of Chapter 25 of the county code previously and I've been reviewing. I just wanted to see if anyone can sum up some items for me.

As far as violations of ordinances, can you provide more detail on what is widely ignored or simply unenforceable?
I'll avoid the headaches as I'll follow all the ordinances and laws.

Based on what I've read so far on the county codes, yeah I'm getting conflicting information. Especially from real estate agents or real estate ads.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderDreams View Post
Grassyknoll, thanks for the information. I've printed out a copy of Chapter 25 of the county code previously and I've been reviewing. I just wanted to see if anyone can sum up some items for me.

As far as violations of ordinances, can you provide more detail on what is widely ignored or simply unenforceable?
I'll avoid the headaches as I'll follow all the ordinances and laws.

Based on what I've read so far on the county codes, yeah I'm getting conflicting information. Especially from real estate agents or real estate ads.
I'm currently not at liberty to discuss exactly the ordinance violation I referred to as we have attorneys, city council members and others involved. Suffice to say that it involves a citation that upon review it was found that numerous other ag operations on the island are also in violation of. A series of phone calls to the zoning department to report other operations would sure kick up one heck of a s@#!-storm on the island. Hopefully it gets changed at some point as there are some big operators in violation and conformance is nearly impossible the way it is written.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:54 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Real estate ads and agents are possibly the least reliable sources of what can and can not be done on a specific piece of property.

Ag zoning, such as the AG-1 which you mentioned, means one house per 1 acre. AG-5 is one house per 5 acres. If you want to build multiple houses, ask the County if you can for each specific property. If it's important, get it in writing, although even if it's in writing, they can still change the zoning later.

Usually for AG zoning, I think you have to show farm income to have a reason as to build more housing, presumably for more farm workers. But, if it matters, ask the County, don't rely on a real estate agent.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
But, if it matters, ask the County, don't rely on a real estate agent.
Or a bunch of anonymous posters who aren't the ones enforcing the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island