Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Most folks fill up a five gallon container at one of the roadside spigots for their drinking and cooking water.

Catchment tanks will usually leak, sometimes catastrophically (i.e. burst) when they age, so take that into consideration when siting the tank. Just assume that at some point the whole thing will melt down and where will the water go?

My 12,000 gallon tank was 25 years old when we replaced it. Never seen one burst. Rust however was a different story. At the end of its lifespan it did start to develop a few pinhole leaks but structurally still very much intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I knew a guy in Ka'u down by south point who's newer water catchment burst. So did his neighbor's. His neighbor was on post and pier and the rush of water knocked the house off. They were both installed by the same outfit, but unfortunately I didn't ask who it was. This was about 6 years ago.

Moral of the story: references / ask questions. I've never heard of that happening anywhere else.
What kind of tank-one of the cheap plastic kiddie pool types? Also, I thought the posts were supposed to be bolted to the piers now, so perhaps some shoddy construction there.

A steel tank with a concrete base and food grade liner can last a life time, if properly assembled and cared for.
The liner may need to be replaced at some time though.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:37 PM

8 posts, read 17,537 times
Akdoe - curious if you went through with the tank or got quotes?

I work for a company who just (Aug 8, 2018) had a 20,000 gal tank installed by waterworks.. It cost $7,100 with labor to install. Includes tank, hardware, liner, cover and overflow. Looking over the cost breakdown it seems the labor was $1000 and took one day. *It did not include the pad, that was $1,000 from someone my boss knows (meaning it could be more/less depending on your “hookup”) and I don’t think it was cemented, just base course/gravel.

I’m curious as to the cost of 10,000 vs 20,000 gal tanks. I was thinking based off of what I’ve read on forums and from friends the cost of 20,000 isn’t that much more and I might go for that.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
"What kind of tank-one of the cheap plastic kiddie pool types? Also, I thought the posts were supposed to be bolted to the piers now, so perhaps some shoddy construction there."

Steel tank variety. I don't know about the home construction.

"I was thinking based off of what I’ve read on forums and from friends the cost of 20,000 isn’t that much more and I might go for that."

I've heard the same thing, and I've also seen where people opted for two 10,000 gallon tanks for redundancy. It depends on what structures you have to catch the water. For some people it makes more sense to have the second 10,000 gallons stored out with the livestock. Larger tanks may have lower up-front costs but larger long-term costs?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 PM

19 posts, read 41,300 times
Dakine-builder,

We are purchasing and installing our tank in December...I just saw your post, sorry it took a while! Thanks for the cost breakdown info!

Old 01-13-2019, 03:48 PM

33 posts, read 33,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdoe View Post
Dakine-builder,

We are purchasing and installing our tank in December...I just saw your post, sorry it took a while! Thanks for the cost breakdown info!
Did you get it put in? How did it go and what did it cost?

Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 PM

181 posts, read 175,679 times
I just got a price on a new catchment tank 14,500 gallons. That would be a steel tank. Including liner and set up $5100. That did not include the cost of developing the pad but I cannot imagine it would be that much to do the pad. I live in Ocean view and the prices given to me two days ago

Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
I just got a price on a new catchment tank 14,500 gallons. That would be a steel tank. Including liner and set up $5100. That did not include the cost of developing the pad but I cannot imagine it would be that much to do the pad. I live in Ocean view and the prices given to me two days ago
That's not a bad price, but 14,500 isn't much of a reserve. If you are committed to hauling water or buying more when you run low, than that is fine. But given that we can go 3-4 months in OV with no measureable rainfall, 14k isn't a lot.
For reference, I have two 20,000 and have never had to buy water.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM

181 posts, read 175,679 times
We have a 2nd pad for another tank. Apparently the previous owner of the property had a 2nd tank but (foolishly) sold off the 2nd tank. We will probably just put it in as a 2nd tank anyway but the primary tank shows exterior rust. We just dont know what the extent of it is. We have an older Flemming tank which isn't made anymore (I am told) but it "sounds" solid when tapping on it. I've had people tell me to leave it and I've had people tell me to replace it.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:29 PM

406 posts, read 865,497 times
Just wondering if anyone has seen the Zero Mass Water system - see https://www.zeromasswater.com/ .

It looks interesting, and could possibly be another source of drinking water, but I don't really know anything about it other than what I've seen on their web site.

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to do with the system or company, I just happened to stumble across it while wandering the internet.

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island