Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:33 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,530,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
I don't think that's what this is. I always thought they are kept separate so they don't kill or fight each other.
HI need a gmo breed of roosters so the rest of the residents can keep their sanity.
It's puzzling why this is still allowed, let's get real...we all know what the roosters are for...hint: they are not grown for milk.
Nor eggs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 03:58 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,868,943 times
They live in the little rooster huts since if they were together they'd fight until one got to be at the top of the pecking order. Which, if you thought about it, would be a good way to figure out which rooster to take to the chicken fights, but I'm not a rooster farmer.

Even if the roosters don't ever make it to a fighting ring, a well bred fighting rooster can sell for hundreds of dollars. There's also some sort of training involved, I think. They have some sort of distinctive breeds among the roosters and you'll see them advertised on Craig's List as a 'pumpkin seed' or some other specific type of fighting rooster. Otherwise you can go to the feed store and buy a rooster chick (they call them 'straight run' meaning it's supposed to be 50% roosters and 50% hens, but generally it seems about 80% roosters and 20% hens) for a dollar or two. Or just wait and roosters will appear in your yard.

We only have Ricky the Rooster now, he got big and chased off the several other roosters that had moved into our yard. We visited Oahu last week and saw an identical type of rooster in our friend's yard. Dunno as if he's some sort of specific breed or not? Are there specific breeds of feral chickens?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:35 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,786,691 times
"a well bred fighting rooster can sell for hundreds of dollars"

The gentleman that works at a feed store told me, when he was done loading up another gentleman's pickup truck with game bird food, "He sells unproven birds for $500 each. If it's a proven bird, the sky's the limit."

I interpreted proven to mean a match winner.

Sadly, the primary courier of these proven birds is the United States Postal Service. Most of the airlines refuse to transport roosters but the ones with USPS contracts have to.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 AM

I don't think you can mail anything other than day old hatched chicks or eggs anymore. They used to mail roosters all over the place and we'd hear them crowing in the back of the post office, but didn't they change that six or seven years ago?

Here's a not so well bred rooster that moved into our backyard. Is this a fighting rooster or merely a feral fowl?

Unfortunately, he got named so he isn't likely to be made into soup anytime soon. Sigh! He did chase off four smaller roosters, so maybe one big one is better than several little ones?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:54 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,786,691 times
"I don't think you can mail anything other than day old hatched chicks or eggs anymore. They used to mail roosters all over the place and we'd hear them crowing in the back of the post office, but didn't they change that six or seven years ago?"

Unfortunately, no. We get a lot of stuff from amazon so I wait in line a lot at the USPS to claim packages. I see adult roosters being shipped almost every day, and I hear them crowing in the back.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:55 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,141,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I don't think you can mail anything other than day old hatched chicks or eggs anymore. They used to mail roosters all over the place and we'd hear them crowing in the back of the post office, but didn't they change that six or seven years ago?

Here's a not so well bred rooster that moved into our backyard. Is this a fighting rooster or merely a feral fowl?

Unfortunately, he got named so he isn't likely to be made into soup anytime soon. Sigh! He did chase off four smaller roosters, so maybe one big one is better than several little ones?
Beautiful bird!

Old 05-08-2018, 01:44 AM

He's an example of the kind of chickens just wandering around. I have no idea where he came from, he just showed up in the yard one day. There were two others very similar to him and a white one with brown wings along with him. Now the others are all gone and he's the only one left. Not sure of the exact dynamics of how that happened, but he was the biggest one.

He's noisy enough and wakes us up early in the morning, I'd hate to live next to thirty or forty of him. He also crows whenever he wants and sometimes in the middle of the night, but he gets louder and more persistent in the morning.

Fighting roosters are usually smaller and lighter birds and when fighting they put long razor spurs on them. Without the razor spurs, the roosters will fight with each other but I'd expect there's not as much damage during the 'natural' fights.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 PM

76 posts, read 144,282 times
We just got back from our trip to the Big Island. I'm officially in withdrawal mode. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the great responses and info. A little story about God's timing... we drove around Mountain View and Kurtistown areas a bit, and decided that lower Puna was not going to be our future home. But for kicks, we wanted to find a rooster farm (ranch?) and see for ourselves just how loud it would be. As we were turning off 130 into HPP, the emergency alerts went off on our phones; Leilani Estates was under mandatory evacuation orders.

Rather than contribute to potential congestion and interfere with those who needed the road more than we did, we immediately turned around and headed up towards Hilo. We were supposed to check in the following day at an AirBnB in lower HPP. We called them to cancel, and then booked a last minute place up in Honoka'a. That turned out to be a total blessing for us, although we hate that it was due to such hardship for those in lower Puna. But for that, we wouldn't have spent the time exploring the Hamakua Coast, Waimea and northern Kohala Coast. We fell in love with all of those areas and are focusing our search there now.

Good lookin' rooster there, Hotzcatz! Our place in Honoka'a was across the street from a house with several loud roosters. We honestly didn't mind being woken by their early morning crowing, nor being sung to sleep by the coquis. To us, they were part of the charm. One imposing rooster came to our front door step every morning as we were eating breakfast, and would crow, "Do you see me?" before returning to his yard across the street.

At least, that's what I thought he said. My husband thought he was saying, "This is MY place. Don't forget that."

Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 PM

Wouldn't that be "a little story about a goddess' timing"? Pele is the one in charge of lava flows, after all isn't she? So I wonder if lava should be covered by those insurance companies who claim not to insure 'acts of god'. That wouldn't include 'acts of goddess', now would it? So they should pay if the lava destroys a house.

The rooster may have been expecting a handout for breakfast. The chickens in our yard listen for the door in the morning then they all run over to get leftover cat food that the cat didn't eat overnight. He (the cat) only likes his kibble if it's still crunchy. So we give the soggy (lots of humidity around here) kibble to the chickens and new crunchies to the cat and everyone seems happy with that arrangement.

I got two dozen locally grown eggs yesterday. One dozen green ones and one dozen brown ones. They came from a flock of mixed araucana and Welsummer hens and the rooster is either aruacana or Welsummer, soon as I find out which, I'll put a dozen of the eggs in an incubator and hatch out some barnyard chickens for the yard. Be interesting to see if a domestic rooster can stand up to a feral one.

Considering a hen lays according to the laying habits of her sire's breed, if we wanted less feral chickens around here all we'd have to do is get a pile of Leghorn roosters and set them free. They'd breed with the hens and the female offspring would produce eggs and breed like a leghorn. Leghorn hens lay a LOT of big white eggs BUT they very rarely go broody and set on them to hatch them. The excess chicken problem would hopefully be sorted out by the next generation of hens not setting on eggs.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:21 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,459,483 times
My only question here is, how does a rooster farm work? I mean, if all you have is roosters . . . ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island