Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:49 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
This is a troll Open-D that has the same name as one of the most knowledgeable poster this forum had in the past. No a coincidence, i bet. Check his post history and you will see he is just on of those conspiracy cookoos.
Not likely. You seem to have some sort of ill-founded animus that does not serve you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 09:28 PM

189 posts, read 260,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Our previous OpenD had gone to the mainland due to some pretty serious medical issues. Since he quit posting kinda suddenly, I kinda figured he didn't have a good resolution to the medical issues. Not knowing a real name, no way to check for obits, but I suspect he's not going to be posting on this forum ever again.
Was thinking the same. Very sad he's gone, i do miss him.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:09 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Not likely. You seem to have some sort of ill-founded animus that does not serve you well.
Sorry, NEW Open-D, but you have a screen name very similar to a previous poster on the Hawaii forum who actually lived in Hawaii and knew what he was talking about. He was very much liked here. Looking through your posting history, you seem to be focused on stirring up polictical trouble. If you want to keep contributing meaningfully to this forum, you should think about coming up with a different name.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Sorry, NEW Open-D, but you have a screen name very similar to a previous poster on the Hawaii forum who actually lived in Hawaii and knew what he was talking about. He was very much liked here. Looking through your posting history, you seem to be focused on stirring up polictical trouble. If you want to keep contributing meaningfully to this forum, you should think about coming up with a different name.
I haven't said anything "polictical " (your spelling, not mine) on the Hawaii forum. I'll keep this name, and thank you for your "advice". However if Open-D Sr asks me to, and if it can be done, I may change my name to Cmaj7 or something like that in deference to him or her.

BTW, Open-D happens to be a method of tuning a guitar. Have a lovely day.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:48 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
"We have trouble with growing plants that require cold to set fruit (i.e. most varieties of apples"

We have an apple tree that fruits. The trick is to get a dwarf variety with many different types of apples grafted onto it. The reason the dwarf part is important is you need to defoliate it by hand to make it fruit. We got ours from a grafter in Ka'u, but I have also seen them for sale at Wal-Mart.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Defoliating will work? That seems easier than putting ice on it.

I get stone fruit trees from Bay Laurel Nursery in California. They will ship trees to Hawaii AND they have a handy 'required chilling hours' number for each tree. Their shipping season is over for this year, though, so you'll have to wait until next January to get trees from them.

Pettingill, Golden Dorsett and Anna area all apple varieties which will set fruit in Hawaii. There's a few more varieties but I can't remember them at the moment. There's also Florida Prince for peaches along with another half dozen or so which should set fruit. I had a Florida Prince setting fruit at a 400 foot elevation. It does work better at higher elevations, though.

For lower elevations, I'll choose trees with 200 chill hours or less. For higher elevations - up to about 1,500 feet or so, I'd go up to about 300 chill hours. Above 1,800 feet, perhaps as high as 400 chill hours. But, that's just me and my guessing, it's not from scientific study or anything.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:19 AM

14 posts, read 19,041 times
All: Thanks so much for the great advice (and less constructive inputs as well).

Loving and viper, thanks for the economic and parenting advice.

We understand that real estate varies in prices and nature in Puna as elsewhere. We can afford more and are willing to pay more if we need. But we want to reserve some for capital expenses when we hit the ground. Catz makes a great point that we need to be there for a while to assess what is right for our family and we'll consider renting for a while.

As for school, we will home school the children if we move. Any constructive advice on the home schooling community on the Island is valued. To be clear, we are considering this move more for our children than ourselves. We believe focusing the family on self reliance, the world around us, and community is more important than the comforts of a more urban setting.

Mahalo, and safety and wellness to all in this difficult time.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick4823 View Post
All: Thanks so much for the great advice (and less constructive inputs as well).

Loving and viper, thanks for the economic and parenting advice.

We understand that real estate varies in prices and nature in Puna as elsewhere. We can afford more and are willing to pay more if we need. But we want to reserve some for capital expenses when we hit the ground. Catz makes a great point that we need to be there for a while to assess what is right for our family and we'll consider renting for a while.

As for school, we will home school the children if we move. Any constructive advice on the home schooling community on the Island is valued. To be clear, we are considering this move more for our children than ourselves. We believe focusing the family on self reliance, the world around us, and community is more important than the comforts of a more urban setting.

Mahalo, and safety and wellness to all in this difficult time.
I would like to clarify some of my earlier advice:

"And don't forget to salt away enough money for return airfare, BEFORE you leave the mainland, so when the dream is no longer so dreamy, you can get back home."

So you are planning to move to a place on the flanks of one of the worlds most active volcanos, with all the pitfalls that offers, where there is little economic opportunity, and even less educational opportunities, not to mention Meth Labs and fighting roosters etc., and you are doing it for the kids? Really??? Sounds to me like you are doing it TO them, not FOR them.

Last edited by Open-D; 05-07-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 19,041 times
Thanks, Open-D. Safety is certainly a factor, as is ensuring our home will remain intact. I am grateful there have been no injuries on the island in this volcanic event, and continue to factor in safety and health of environment on the Big Island in comparison to other rural areas and our current home. As for financial reserves, we will have them.

On other matters you note and I've already addressed, I won't repeat them in this post.

Again, thank you for thinking of such creative ways of contributing to the discussion.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick4823 View Post
Thanks, Open-D. Safety is certainly a factor, as is ensuring our home will remain intact. I am grateful there have been no injuries on the island in this volcanic event, and continue to factor in safety and health of environment on the Big Island in comparison to other rural areas and our current home. As for financial reserves, we will have them.

On other matters you note and I've already addressed, I won't repeat them in this post.

Again, thank you for thinking of such creative ways of contributing to the discussion.
You're welcome.

So many people are willing to sugar-coat what is a proposition full of problems and negatives.

to my way of thinking, the best way to live in Hawaii is to retire from a good mainland career and then take that retirement (which is NOT taxed) to Hawaii.

Another thing is that higher-level medical care is virtually non-existent on the BI, mandating a flight to Honolulu. Doctors are scarce and waiting lists are kept for new patients.

For a career in Hawaii, look to the Feds if you can. They pay a cost of living allowance that brings salary in alignment with the cost of living, or close to, anyway.

Also, look up the Lungworm issue (infests Rats, if memory serves, but also humans).

Good luck and keep your eyes open to all factors, not just the ones that seem favorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island