Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:35 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times

Advertisements

They are starting to invade our peace and quiet in Discovery Harbour Most of us who live here are trying to keep on top of the problem, but we have a lot of vacant lots with off-island owners. Our HOA can get approvals to go on the vacant lots, but we only have few people who are willing to spend their evenings tracking down the little critters.

Does anyone know any coqui frog whisperers for hire? Preferably someone with experience and their own equipment. Anyone looking to move to Hawaii and start a new business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 08:41 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Once they are established you'll want a clear zone around your house and a couple of chickens. There are sprays you can use but I've never met anybody who reports much success with them.

Growing up in the Pacific NW being lulled to sleep every summer night by the sounds of crickets, the coquis don't bother me unless they are up against the house. Their calls off in the distance are actually quite soothing. But having one right outside your bedroom window is no fun.

You probably don't want to hear it, but you may need to consider a plan B: learning to live with them.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

You probably don't want to hear it, but you may need to consider a plan B: learning to live with them.
Without a doubt.

Keep vegetation away from the house and their noise is entirely tolerable. Perhaps the wet winter accelerated the southward invasion.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:14 PM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

Lol. Should i tell him that sometimes when I can't fall asleep i play that youtube 1 hour long coqui frog jungle sounds video. Works every time.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 PM

I refuse to give in yet!

Our lots here are only 1/3 acre, so hard to remove all vegetation within earshot. I'm a light sleeper and can hear the coquis down the street.

So far enough people are concerned that we may be able to keep the population down. I know it's only a matter of time, especially since this winter was so wet.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:50 AM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
Unfortunately for you your lot is too small to control the situation. Chances are some of your neighbors may not be as dedicated as you in upkeeping their lots and control the frogs.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
One may want to consider selling before it gets really bad.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:13 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
What's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHostA9j1qU
They lull me to sleep in Rincón, Puerto Rico.

But on the BI they are the mutant monster cousins of the charming little creatures of PR.

they sound like they are being broadcast through a Marshall Stack guitar amplifier turn up to 10.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:32 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I refuse to give in yet!

Our lots here are only 1/3 acre, so hard to remove all vegetation within earshot. I'm a light sleeper and can hear the coquis down the street.

So far enough people are concerned that we may be able to keep the population down. I know it's only a matter of time, especially since this winter was so wet.
There is an existing technology that listens to sound, and then transmits a sound in the opposite wave form. The original peak and broadcast valley nullify each other.

Headphones with this technology are available, and perhaps something that drives larger speaker might be available as well. Filtering out non-coqui frequencies would mean normal sounds would not be negated.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
What's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHostA9j1qU
They lull me to sleep in Rincón, Puerto Rico.

But on the BI they are the mutant monster cousins of the charming little creatures of PR.

they sound like they are being broadcast through a Marshall Stack guitar amplifier turn up to 10.
Thanks a lot for the lovely music
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island