Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:09 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Thanks! I am searching that site but I can’t find anything about acres covered. Any clues how to find it? I’ve put in every search term I could think of on their site and get old eruption calculations.
Google Hawaii County Civil Defense. I just looked and they have the daily alerts posted there. Even tho the alerts are from HVO, it is strange that the info can’t be found in the HVO site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 10:35 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Google Hawaii County Civil Defense. I just looked and they have the daily alerts posted there. Even tho the alerts are from HVO, it is strange that the info can’t be found in the HVO site.
If you want to get up to date info with links, pics and vids, go to Punaweb.org.

I am surprised that this event has received so little attention on this forum. Perhaps because it is Puna, and people here don't care too much about that area!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Check out this URL for HVO mini-updates.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observato...n_updates.html

Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post

I am surprised that this event has received so little attention on this forum. Perhaps because it is Puna, and people here don't care too much about that area!
Or, many people aren't obsessed with natural disasters and destruction.

What sort of attention does it need above and beyond what has already been said and reported?

Old 05-27-2018, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Thanks! I am searching that site but I can’t find anything about acres covered. Any clues how to find it? I’ve put in every search term I could think of on their site and get old eruption calculations.
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observato...n_updates.html

Check on update 2018-05-26 posted at 17:10:34. At that point they stated appx. 2374 acres or 3.7 sq mi

New to this system, hope this comes through ok.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:22 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
If you want to get up to date info with links, pics and vids, go to Punaweb.org.

That’s pretty disgusting. Just because we aren’t posting here doesn’t mean that we aren’t all pitching in to do what we can. Those of us on the island care about our ohana. Several of my friends have been working day and night to help out in the shelters. We have had huge donations gathered in our neighborhood and have delivered numerous truckloads of supplies. I bought 50 pound bags of dog and cat food for the animals in the shelters. Just because we choose to quietly take care of our own is no reason for you to be rude from afar.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:09 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Thanks everyone! It’s just so difficult to find the facts from here.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Or, many people aren't obsessed with natural disasters and destruction.

What sort of attention does it need above and beyond what has already been said and reported?
Frankly, almost nothing has been reported here as opposed to PunaWeb. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
That’s pretty disgusting. Just because we aren’t posting here doesn’t mean that we aren’t all pitching in to do what we can. Those of us on the island care about our ohana. Several of my friends have been working day and night to help out in the shelters. We have had huge donations gathered in our neighborhood and have delivered numerous truckloads of supplies. I bought 50 pound bags of dog and cat food for the animals in the shelters. Just because we choose to quietly take care of our own is no reason for you to be rude from afar.
I haven't been rude, just making an observation.

Your over-wraught, faux offense is, however, disgusting in the extreme.

Nobody is accusing you of doing or not doing anything. Just observing that the event is receiving a lot more attention and discussion there, including live or nearly live updates, links to vids by public officials and Mick Kalber and others.

Last edited by Open-D; 05-28-2018 at 12:08 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 12:07 AM

Default CD alert 7:45 pm via text: Leilani Estates residents on Nohea St & Luana St between Leilani Ave & Kahukai, & Kupono St b

CD alert 7:45 pm via text:

Leilani Estates residents on Nohea St & Luana St between Leilani Ave & Kahukai, & Kupono St between Malama St & Leilani Ave need to evacuate immediately due to a fast moving lava flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island