Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:18 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times

Advertisements

The thread asking "what do you miss about the mainland" got me to thinking...what do I miss about the Big Island?

I've been privileged to spend several extended visits on the BI and have very wonderful memories I'll be rekindling again next April. The diversity of the BI is tremendous. I look forward to my next trip, but in the meantime these are some of the things I miss most about past visits:

King Kamehameha day Parade and the hike I did to his birthplace.
The drive to the top of Mauna Kea.
Malasadas at Tex Drive In.
Breakfast at Splashers Grill in Kona and Gramma's Kitchen in Honokaa.
Hikes to Halape Beach in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
Amazing sunsets from overlooks on Hwy 11.
Kapa radio
Hiking to many historic petroglyph sites.
Amazing views into Waipio and Pololu Valleys.
My beach combing hikes to Green Sand Beach and being amazed with the whale activity.

Wow! Getting real excited about my next visit!!

To those who've visited...what do you miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
The warm, fragrant air. Yellow ginger, night blooming jasmine, gardenia, vanilla orchid, citrus flowers, just about every plant aroma including the grasses. Once exception is Albizia blossoms-I'm undecided on them. Sorta smell like dirty socks.

The assortment of beautiful cloud formations, refreshing breezes and rain showers common on the windward sides.

Tropical fruit: Apple bananas, papaya, really good avocados, and all of the other fruits most mainlanders aren't familiar with.

Tropical foliage: Bamboo, palms, and many others

The generous, friendly, easy going attitude of most residents.

Edit: FYI, I ain't no mainlander!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Whenever I leave the BI and spend some time on the mainland, I forget that people don’t hug each other like we do on the island. We even hug people we just met.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:45 PM

252 posts, read 659,312 times
When we go back to ur mainland home. I miss the ocean and the smell of the seabreeze, lush tropical foliage, trade winds and the vast geological differences in just a hour or so drive.

I do have to say on the mainland where our Summer home is everybody hugs even people you just met or they meet you. I think because where we live on mainland is very rural and still old school per say.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
The thread asking "what do you miss about the mainland" got me to thinking...what do I miss about the Big Island?

I've been privileged to spend several extended visits on the BI and have very wonderful memories I'll be rekindling again next April. The diversity of the BI is tremendous. I look forward to my next trip, but in the meantime these are some of the things I miss most about past visits:

King Kamehameha day Parade and the hike I did to his birthplace.
The drive to the top of Mauna Kea.
Malasadas at Tex Drive In.
Breakfast at Splashers Grill in Kona and Gramma's Kitchen in Honokaa.
Hikes to Halape Beach in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
Amazing sunsets from overlooks on Hwy 11.
Kapa radio
Hiking to many historic petroglyph sites.
Amazing views into Waipio and Pololu Valleys.
My beach combing hikes to Green Sand Beach and being amazed with the whale activity.

Wow! Getting real excited about my next visit!!

To those who've visited...what do you miss?
Kind of funny that just this weekend my wife remarked that she sure wished we could snap our fingers and some malasadas from Tex would appear!

Really liked the drive from Hawi to Waimea on rte 250

Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I moved from the Big Island to Phoenix last summer, primarily for access to medical services, but I do miss the Aloha most of all. I lived in Na'alehu and I also miss the Punalu'u Bakery (great malasadas) the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach and watching the sun rising over the Pacific while I had my morning coffee. On weekly trips to Hilo, I loved Ken's house of pancakes and Cronies (they make a great Reuben). In Kona, I loved Laverne's Sports Bar. If you get to Laverne's, look for the Ohio license plate "ALOHA11" hanging on the wall. That was my wife's plate in Ohio, but sadly she passed away while we lived on the Big Island.

The bright side is that I found an L&L Hawaiian BBQ here in Phoenix area!

Old 08-18-2018, 06:09 PM

32 posts, read 32,269 times
I miss not being taxed at the grocery store! Oregon is one of the last holdouts!

Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I moved from the Big Island to Phoenix last summer, primarily for access to medical services, but I do miss the Aloha most of all. I lived in Na'alehu and I also miss the Punalu'u Bakery (great malasadas) the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach and watching the sun rising over the Pacific while I had my morning coffee. On weekly trips to Hilo, I loved Ken's house of pancakes and Cronies (they make a great Reuben). In Kona, I loved Laverne's Sports Bar. If you get to Laverne's, look for the Ohio license plate "ALOHA11" hanging on the wall. That was my wife's plate in Ohio, but sadly she passed away while we lived on the Big Island.

The bright side is that I found an L&L Hawaiian BBQ here in Phoenix area!
Sorry to hear about your wife. I will look for the plate. I should have include the Punalu'u Bakery on my list. I especially liked their mango malasadas.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:49 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandbound4 View Post
I miss not being taxed at the grocery store! Oregon is one of the last holdouts!
Hawaii taxes groceries.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:33 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandbound4 View Post
Doesn’t Hawaii have a sales tax or GET tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island