Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 20,058 times

Advertisements

So glad I found this site, what a great resource. I have done a little research on the Puna area and most of what I read in this thread confirms what I have found previously.

We are considering buying a home in the area, not immediately, but in the near future. This would be a second home, not a permanent move -- hoping to get the best of both worlds and divide our time about half and half. I am a freak for exotic palms and bromeliads, and the rain and temperatures in this area would be most welcome to me as a gardener.

Anyway, while dreaming my way toward reality, I began to wonder about opening a small business in Pahoa, something like ( are you ready?) a wine shop/gourmet food/art gallery combo. Of course, I have a LOT of serious homework to do before embarking on such a scheme, I am not the impulsive type. So my questions are: Is Pahoa a place where one can readily start a small retail business, or is there a ton of red tape? Do many such shops already exist in Pahoa? What is the availability of retail space in town? What months present the heaviest visitor traffic? I understand Puna is off the beaten track -- that's ok, that's what we like about it. Anyone?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,084 times
Default Question for the kamaaina

We're considering buying in Puna Beach palisades, and the major question is how great is the risk from lava or strom (tsunami or hurricane). And to what extent (and from whom) is insurance coverage available?

Old 05-04-2007, 04:24 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernerfla View Post

Is there any parts of FFVE that are better than others? Many lots unbuildable/unsuitable? Are the lower vs upper lots much different? Do you think the locals are much different from many of the Key West locals? Smuggling of immigrants/cocaine, thumb your nose at society, semi-hippie, party hardy type of crowd? Sounds similar.

For Puna, I am mostly afraid of squatters or someone trashing my place for fun, until I move there for good. So, if not FFVE, where do you suggest? Any other suggestions for a nice place, decent size, decent prices? Mostly looking for cool tropical trade winds, lots of tropical fruit, privacy (not necessarily unibomber style; but not able to hear neighbors argue either), rain OK, mosquitos definitely optional Doesn't need to be near a beach, or have great views, but preferably not a desolate lava field either. Exists for common folk?

Heartfelt thanks from "the other tropics".

Eric
Key West sounds a lot like Puna. Honestly, I haven't ventured up to FFVE for few years, (don't want to risk my car). The best areas probably would be near the paved entrance. You might consider Hawaiian acres, 3 acres, wider lots, some better roads, active HOA. Warmer, closer to Hilo, or just above in Fern Acres, 2 acre lots mostly paved. Your best defense for your property would be to get friendly with your neighbors like you did with the summer place you have now. When you purchase ask your realtor for a sellers disclosure about the land, whether there are tubes, craters etc.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminPL View Post
So glad I found this site, what a great resource. I have done a little research on the Puna area and most of what I read in this thread confirms what I have found previously.

We are considering buying a home in the area, not immediately, but in the near future. This would be a second home, not a permanent move -- hoping to get the best of both worlds and divide our time about half and half. I am a freak for exotic palms and bromeliads, and the rain and temperatures in this area would be most welcome to me as a gardener.

Anyway, while dreaming my way toward reality, I began to wonder about opening a small business in Pahoa, something like ( are you ready?) a wine shop/gourmet food/art gallery combo. Of course, I have a LOT of serious homework to do before embarking on such a scheme, I am not the impulsive type. So my questions are: Is Pahoa a place where one can readily start a small retail business, or is there a ton of red tape? Do many such shops already exist in Pahoa? What is the availability of retail space in town? What months present the heaviest visitor traffic? I understand Puna is off the beaten track -- that's ok, that's what we like about it. Anyone?
There is nothing like the shop you describe at this time. If you open in an existing building it would be much easier to get permits than new constuction. There are some vacancies downtown. Puna doesn't get a lot of tourists, but most come during summer and at Christmastime. Pahoa is becoming 2 towns, Historic oldtown and Malama Marketplace north of town with a new shopping center, fast food joints and police/fire dept.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ellis View Post
We're considering buying in Puna Beach palisades, and the major question is how great is the risk from lava or strom (tsunami or hurricane). And to what extent (and from whom) is insurance coverage available?
Aloha David, I can't predict the future of course, but The Palisades was overrun with hot lava in 1955, (a geologic wink in time.) Being very near the ocean it is at risk for storms and tsunami. The state offers insurance at a high rate, with a cap. More ins. is available from Lloyds of London at a very high rate.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
There is nothing like the shop you describe at this time. If you open in an existing building it would be much easier to get permits than new constuction. There are some vacancies downtown. Puna doesn't get a lot of tourists, but most come during summer and at Christmastime. Pahoa is becoming 2 towns, Historic oldtown and Malama Marketplace north of town with a new shopping center, fast food joints and police/fire dept.
Thanks for your quick response, Leilaniguy. I would definitely rent available space, no construction for me. I would look for something in town, be it an old house or unusual empty retail space (defunct gas station? former bank?) Any idea what rental rates would run? Have various non-essential type shops come and gone over the years?

Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 AM

59 posts, read 311,986 times
Kim

IMHO , you are taking a large risk in establishing a business of that type in Old Town Pahoa.

You would not get the "traffic" that you would need for that type of store in Pahoa.

You would do much better in Downtown Hilo or even Volcano.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
Kim

IMHO , you are taking a large risk in establishing a business of that type in Old Town Pahoa.

You would not get the "traffic" that you would need for that type of store in Pahoa.

You would do much better in Downtown Hilo or even Volcano.
Thanks, I appreciate the frank response.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:00 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminPL View Post

This type of business would do very well in Waimea. Rents would be higher but you'd have the traffic (possibly) and mindset to support it. You might do ok in Volcano if you kept it very casual and laid back and not too gourmet.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:18 AM

376 posts, read 490,196 times
Lelaniguy, we have spoken in the past, been awhile though. I got superfreaked out when I read the post about not buying land sight unseen in Nanawale Estates. I did just that. How can I find out if my lot will be a disaster if I cannot go the island to check for myself? I have my lot number of course, is there anyone that I could trust that would even want to do such a thing? I am totally freaked out now as I thought that all the lots were essentially the same except that some areas were not developed yet. Any advise? I will not have the funds/time to come to see the land for quite some time. I also wouldn't even know what to look for. Thanks again for your expert advise. Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island