Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 02:11 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,566,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Lelaniguy, we have spoken in the past, been awhile though. I got superfreaked out when I read the post about not buying land sight unseen in Nanawale Estates. I did just that. How can I find out if my lot will be a disaster if I cannot go the island to check for myself? I have my lot number of course, is there anyone that I could trust that would even want to do such a thing? I am totally freaked out now as I thought that all the lots were essentially the same except that some areas were not developed yet. Any advise? I will not have the funds/time to come to see the land for quite some time. I also wouldn't even know what to look for. Thanks again for your expert advise. Julie
Aloha Julie, Do you know the Hawaii county TMK (tax map key) number for your lot? If so, send it to me along with the street name. I will go by there and take a look when I have time. My guess is your lot is "standard" for Nanawale and is probably about 60' x 135'. I should be able to give you a rough description of the terrain/forestcover from roadside.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:59 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,282,983 times
http://www.hawaii-county.com/maps/tmk/zone.htm (County tax maps)

http://www.hawaiimapsource.com/index.htm (broken link) (Map books)

Here are two sources for anyone searching for a Hawaii property.

The Ready Map Book of East Hawaii or West Hawaii will be an invaluable guide if you are moving here or just touring the island. Has info about where roads are paved, off-road trails, etc. Easy to use. Also available in most grocery/drug stores on the island if you want to pick it up when you are here instead of ordering.

The County TMK maps are online and can be downloaded if you want to take the time to figure out which one you need. (Check your Tax Map Key number on your tax bill or deed.)

Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 37,511 times
Default Nanawale Estates

Now I too have caught the panic from Julie. I too am considering buying property sight unseen in Nanawale - not Estates, but Ranch/Farm Lots. Any description, advice, or opinion on the land in the Road A area would be GREATLY appreciated. I can't get over there for a while but want to purchase land before it's too late.. Mahalo for any two-cents-worth that anyone wants to kick in.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:10 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maud Gonne View Post
Now I too have caught the panic from Julie. I too am considering buying property sight unseen in Nanawale - not Estates, but Ranch/Farm Lots. Any description, advice, or opinion on the land in the Road A area would be GREATLY appreciated. I can't get over there for a while but want to purchase land before it's too late.. Mahalo for any two-cents-worth that anyone wants to kick in.
Why the rush? The coqui frogs aren't going anywhere. Nanawale Farm/Ranch Lots is slightly east of Nanawale Estates and it is fairly close to Lava Tree State Monument. Most of it is in Lava Zone 1 and Road A is unpaved and it can get a little messy when it rains. I don't recommend purchasing anything there sight unseen. In addition, I highly recommend visiting the area at night before deciding to buy anything there -- when they spray for coqui frogs at Lava Tree, the frogs tend to relocate to Nanawale Farm/Ranch Lots and it can get quite noisy.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
While I am not familiar with Nanawale Estates, we own a house near South Point and have spent a lot of time touring the whole island. DO NOT BUY PROPERTY SIGHT UNSEEN, unless the realtor is a very close personal friend, or if you have a trusted friend who lives in the area. You need to see the actual property you are buying. Walk around on it and see not only what is on your property but what is on your neighbors' lots (could be twelve rusted cars in the front yard; could be five dogs chained up day and night and therefore barking all night long). Remember that this island is all lava, some with vegetation on it and some not. You need to know if the property you are buying has a huge lava tube running through the middle of it.

You also need to spend time there during different parts of the day. There could be dogs in the neighborhood who start barking after dark. There could be the dreaded coqui frog infestation. You need to see who comes and goes in the neighborhood.

Homeowner's Insurance for Lava Zone 1 can only be obtained through Lloyd's of London. You should check to see if the cost would be prohibitive. Remember that it is Lava Zone 1 for a reason.

What do you mean by "purchase land before it is too late"? There is all sorts of vacant land, so it's not going away. Prices seem to be dropping, not going up. Take some time to make an informed decision.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You also need to spend time there during different parts of the day. There could be dogs in the neighborhood who start barking after dark. There could be the dreaded coqui frog infestation. You need to see who comes and goes in the neighborhood.
Nanawale Farm/Ranch Lots is infested with coqui frogs. Some of 'em are even bold enough to "chirp" during the day.

Quote:
Homeowner's Insurance for Lava Zone 1 can only be obtained through Lloyd's of London. You should check to see if the cost would be prohibitive. Remember that it is Lava Zone 1 for a reason.
That's not entirely correct. Homeowner's insurance is also available through the Hawai'i Property Insurance Association for dwellings in Lava Zone 1; however, the maximum amount they'll cover is something like $250K. Here's a link to some cost comparisons....
http://www.hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins...em_comp_sheet/

Quote:
What do you mean by "purchase land before it is too late"? There is all sorts of vacant land, so it's not going away. Prices seem to be dropping, not going up. Take some time to make an informed decision.
I agree. Land prices are dropping from their recent highs of the past few years, so one can afford to take their time and carefully research a possible purchase.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,566,747 times
There's probably nowhere on the island of Hawaii anymore that has no coqui frogs, they have become as common as volcanoes, mold or ferns, and will always be with us. As far as prices, that yo-yos nearly every day.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,282,983 times
Visiting the property you think you might purchase is highly recommended-and as others have mentioned, visit at different times of day. Inventory is very high in Nanawale, Hawaiian Shores, etc and there are some great lots to be had...but there are some streets you might want to avoid. Look carefully into the subdivision's CC&Rs--some are enforced, some are not. In Nanawale Estates, there are opportunities to pick up two or three side-by-side lots for what you would have paid for one lot just about 18 months ago. There are areas of newly constructed homes and an active community association, so it can be a really nice place to build...but there are parts of the subdivision that feel a bit more crowded and are showing signs of aging homes. If you are seriously considering building your home in Puna, take time to explore!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
There's probably nowhere on the island of Hawaii anymore that has no coqui frogs, they have become as common as volcanoes, mold or ferns, and will always be with us.
There are still several places on the Kona side that don't have any coqui frogs. However, instead of total "eradication," the best that we can probably hope for is to simply control any new infestations. Ironically, coqui frogs are endangered in their native Puerto Rico -- concrete and pollution seem to be the main factors in their demise there.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 60,860 times
Just another thought about buying land sight unseen... even if there were two lots that looked about the same, they may not "feel" the same once you are exploring them. Just as looking at two equally nice homes in any other state can give you a sense of one as being more your taste, style, or "feel," the same is true of the land here. In my opinion, it is even more so here.

I looked at many beautiful properties before I bought, some that were bare land and had never been cleared, some that had been cleared too much and one that had been respectfully cleared but where the "cabin" was falling down. I bought the one that needed the most TLC because it had the best "feel" to it for me. Even though there is still much work to do to clear the debris left by others long ago, I have never regretted that choice. When I am there, I feel very much at peace. I am living in the neighborhood now and I am in the process of building on my land. I can hardly wait to live there! Of course, checking out the subdivision and neighboring area is very important as everyone else has suggested.

Good luck on your adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island