Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times

Advertisements

Hawaiian acres is a very large subdivision at about the center of Puna, average elevation 1000', mostly 3 acre lots, some areas developed, much of it still forestland. Some roads paved, others rough dirt. Some areas have no electricity. It's about 8 miles to the coast, farther to a good beach. It's higher and cooler than many other parts of Puna, but not cold. There hasn't been a lava flow in hundreds of years in this area, the current eruption is on the other side of Puna ridge, flowing away from here. Hawaiian acres has it's own website. Also, try search for punaguide and punaweb for much more information

Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 25,414 times
Thank you for the Hawaiian Acres profile and links. Is there any areas close to the ocean that you would recommend. I guess another way of asking, is what is the best area to live in the Puna District. I like to fish and also love being close to the ocean, but due to the water situation will need some rain for the catchment system. Or is it better to be at a little higher elevation.
Thanks...

Old 06-14-2006, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 11,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy
Fastest growing part of Hawaii, the Puna district, long the state of Hawaii's poor ******* stepchild, is rapidly coming into it's own. Once only the land of erupting volcanoes, earthquakes and marijuana gardens, tropical and wet Puna, on the east side of Big Island of Hawaii has become a mecca for Baby boomers and dreamers from all over the earth. Here you will find hippies, rednecks, rastafari, buddhists, shaman, square pegs of all sorts, along with black sand beaches, lava flows, jungles, and some of the nicest people on the planet. Thousands of retirees are moving here, rather suddenly, from all over the mainland U.S. If you are interested in discussing living in Puna, or maybe Kau, or the Big Island in general, just post, maybe I can answer some of your queries. Aloha, Leilaniguy, from deepest, darkest Puna!
The first time I vacationed in Maui and Kauai in 2004, I was not only wanting to see what Hawaii was all about, but curious about what it would be like to live on one of the islands. I've never been to the Big Island, but I can imagine that it would be a great place to live as well. The prices are high, but other people are doing it somehow or another. I'm from Denver, Colorado where surrounding cities here have been rated number one for raising a family. The weather is much more milder than most mainland cities. But, depending where you are in this city, people shy away from making friends around here. I don't know what it is, but there's a standoffish feel here, certainly not felt in just the 10 days I was vactioning on the islands. I was actually shocked and unprepared for that "Hawaiian Spirit" not found anywhere else in America. Even my closest neighbors of several years, can't even say hello. It's like they're afraid of getting too close for god's sake. So, coming back to the prune faces I see everyday was a drag. I really became attached to the attitudes of people living in Hawaii. That also includes better driving habits as well. Here people don't give a **** and continue ride your bumper despite efforts to curb drivers following too close. 40 miles per hour on the islands is my kind of driving, overall. Yeah, there maybe alot of tourists sharing the road too, but I guess it would be better than the annual snow and ice that slows you down too. The only concern, I have is the moving costs and finding a good paying job enough to take care of Hawaii's living expenses. How do these people do it? Are wages enough to keep up with your prices.
I'm serious about moving out of Denver.
I was told by a Maui local to get out of Denver and move here. I'm still thinking that was the best advice ever!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachWalker
Thank you for the Hawaiian Acres profile and links. Is there any areas close to the ocean that you would recommend. I guess another way of asking, is what is the best area to live in the Puna District. I like to fish and also love being close to the ocean, but due to the water situation will need some rain for the catchment system. Or is it better to be at a little higher elevation.
Thanks...
Aloha Steve, If you mean places close to a real swimming beach and close to ocean fishing, then you need to look in Kapoho, Kalapana Seaview Estates, Kehena Beach Estates, or Puna palisades. There are very few beaches in east Hawaii/ Puna, as it is relatively new land, with short cliffs, dropping 20-50' directly into the ocean. There are swimming areas however, at Kehena Beach and at Kapoho tidepools and Ahalanui hot ponds park, where you can safely swim with fish and turtles in lagoons/tidal ponds with hotsprings bubbling up from under the sea, amazing places! Also boat launch/surfing at Pohoiki bay. All these areas are short on rainfall, but Kapoho area has piped water. There are other areas close by, higher up,( such as Lanipuna Gardens, Leilani Estates,) that have ample rainfall and lower prices.

Aloha lambrc, I know what you mean, that's what drew me here, it's the "USA", but this is Polynesia, not America, slightly different. Everything in life is slower here, more expensive too, but there are tradeoffs, like no 2-3-4 seasons of clothing, no heat/ cooling costs, and there are bargains at weekend open-air markets on fruits, veggies, baked goods etc. and we do a lot of swapping between neighbors of our excess produce (and there's plenty). I would highly recommend you come here and visit at least once, better 2-3 times, before you make the big decision to move, it is a big life change.

Last edited by Marka; 06-15-2006 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-27-2006, 09:17 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
What is the general assessment of Tiki Gardens and Ainaloa subdivisions? I see quite a bit of land available in those areas.. any particular reason for that? It also has a Kurtisville address but misleading as it seems much more closer to Pahua. How is the area for volcano/lava as a zone?

Another question.. how about up near the Mountain View area.. specifically all those Pacific Paradise (several names here) subdivisions in that area? Anything to know about them?

Great thread.. I'm learning a lot here!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 PM

Aloha Tiger Beer. Ainaloa is a huge subdivision, about 4 miles long, a mile wide, cut up into thousands of 12000 sq. ft. lots, on mostly dirt roads, most without elecricity or water. Tiki gardens is adjacent, smaller, same dirt roads, some electric, much smaller lots- 7500sq. ft. They are much closer to Pahoa than anywhere else. I belive it is in lava zone 3, same as Hilo. The Pacific Paradise developements were put in at around the time of statehood, all have small lots, the only one I know of with infrastructure is P.P. Mountainview Manor, (piped water, electric, paving, DSL). The others are kind of remote with not much in the way of services other than phone, however this is changing as people move in. This area is higher, cooler, wetter than lower Puna. Search the web for punaguide, it lists all the Puna subdivisions, also try punatalk to chat with the punatics.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:33 PM

Made a mistake in my last post, Pacific Paradise GARDENS is the subdivision with all utilities. Mt. view manor is way off the road. You're right, there are a lot of them! There's even one on the Kalapana coastline covered in fresh lava, with lots for sale. (don't buy there!)

Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 26,311 times
Smile MLE or Fern Forest Vacation Estates

Hello

I too am thinking of buying property in Mauna Loa Estates. I recently stayed there and loved it. I bought a book and it mentioned that the fruits you see in Hilo Farmer's Market comes from the farms along highway 11 and areas in Kurtistown, Glenwood, and Mountain View. I'm now really torn between those places and Mauna Loa Estates. I guess my question is more of weather. Is it really rainy up there? What about the subdivisions in those 3 cities? What are they like?

I personally like weather that is not too hot nor too cold. Having wood burning stove is okay. But I would like to be able to grow fruit trees and edibles.

nancy

Old 07-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Aloha nancy, a basic rule of thumb here is the higher you go, the wetter it gets. Kurtistown is warmer and less wet than Mountainview, Glenwood is very wet. Mauna Loa Estates has gotten very popular in the last couple years, is cool, but warm enough to grow things like citrus, cool enough to grow cabbage and broccoli, etc. fewer bugs up there. There are many subdivisions near these 3 towns, some nice, some very sketchy (bad roads, people permanently camping, living in cars). You really need to drive around and explore these areas before you decide what neighborhood is right for you.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Can anyone suggest a website that has images of the general area ?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island