Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:48 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times

Advertisements

There are youtube videos about heating with a window air conditioning unit (you turn it around so it blows the cold outside and the hot air inside since it basically performs like a heat pump). I never got into the weeds with the videos but apparently it's the cheapest way to "heat" using a regular 120v receptacle, however it has a VERY narrow temp range that it operates in this manner because the units aren't engineered to work "backwards" and will ice up if it's too cold outside. I'm sure there are models that work much better than others for this alternative use, research required. I'm guessing that getting a unit that lets you control if the unit is in free-flow or recirculation mode is pretty important if you want to "hack" the unit.

It's probably cheaper to heat with a portable indoor propane unit designed for this function.

Here's one that heats a small house: https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-BF30...language=en_US

Here's one that heats a room:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...language=en_US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
There are youtube videos about heating with a window air conditioning unit (you turn it around so it blows the cold outside and the hot air inside since it basically performs like a heat pump). I never got into the weeds with the videos but apparently it's the cheapest way to "heat" using a regular 120v receptacle, however it has a VERY narrow temp range that it operates in this manner because the units aren't engineered to work "backwards" and will ice up if it's too cold outside.
Given window units are an electricity suck - and loud, I'd recommend the various tower heaters on the market, they aren't expensive - are quiet, have timers, have oscillation, and far safer than the space heaters back in the day which have burned houses down.....

Something like the below with high reviews -

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-5160-Ce...70_&dpSrc=srch

Old 09-16-2018, 09:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
I don't disagree with you, hacking a heat pump isn't for everybody. But heating using a resistant load isn't efficient as heating using an inductive load. (Space heaters generate heat, heat pumps move heat, it's cheaper to move something than create it). All that being said, heat generated by combustion is cheapest of all, sometimes free (like burning old amazon boxes in a fireplace). But that requires the installation of a fireplace. Propane heaters can be used without a venting mechanism.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,800 times
An in-floor radiant system that would go under tile and would work with a solar hot water system might be the most cost-effective long term heating syatem

Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 AM

49 posts, read 76,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I don't even know if they sell furnaces in Hawaii. I don't know anyone who has one. Everyone that I know that lives in a cold place uses a fireplace. Hotzcatz, do you know the answer to this?

Actually solar-powered radiant heat is another good way to go. With a propane-powered backup for long grey days.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 PM

65 posts, read 67,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We have friends who live near the top of Ocean View and they report nighttime temps in the 40s in the winter. I didn't move to Hawaii to be that cold!

HELL YEAH

Old 09-23-2018, 07:31 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Perhaps another consideration for those looking to live at the top of HOVE is that some of it is in lava hazard zone #1.

I had no idea this was the case until it was recently brought to my attention. So, it could be an issue for insurance if you're inclined to want it.

This is the best map I've found of the rift zone and fissure vents in the HOVE area. Only the NE corner of the subdivision is within zone 1. However, the entire subdivision is down a steep slope from the rift.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3387/sim3387_pamphlet.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island