Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,256 times

Advertisements

We are building a home 2-3 miles north of Kawaihae. My wife is intent on bringing ~4 couches and some furnishings, over which we are still negotiating. [My preference is to sell most everything and buy new on BI or Oahu (ship to BI via Young Brothers.)] I am trying to figure out how to get a used rowing shell there (27' long, 12" wide, 20 lbs) and most options are very expensive (>=$600). One option is to ship a 40' container that we would only partially fill. We would have it professionally packed so would probably have space to share if we did that. Even if we only shipped 20' container, we may have space to share. We are likely moving from 8/15-9/15/19. If you only wanted to ship from Seattle to Honolulu, I could check with Matson to see if they would permit the container to be removed in Honolulu, partially unloaded, then shipped on to Kawaihae. As we get closer, I hope to narrow my wife's list of items to ship down and will have a better idea how much room that we will have. If you are interested in trying to ship some items with us, email me at dlxhivac at gmail dot com.
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:50 AM

181 posts, read 173,637 times
I'd take your wife back to the island and take her window shopping for furniture - show her what she can get here. The trip will be cheaper than shipping your stuff. I just (gulp!) paid the movers to ship household items to the BI. It cost a fortune. We didn't ship everything but now I regret shipping anything. For what it costs, I could buy it all new and realistically most of the stuff we are shipping we don't really need. It's just a simpler life here. Just food for thought!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,405 times
Too funny! My wife and I are having the same “discussion”: She wants to bring too much stuff (><)
We’re moving to Kona in Aug too.
What is your container quote?
-Dave

Old 02-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,145,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
I'd take your wife back to the island and take her window shopping for furniture - show her what she can get here. The trip will be cheaper than shipping your stuff. I just (gulp!) paid the movers to ship household items to the BI. It cost a fortune. We didn't ship everything but now I regret shipping anything. For what it costs, I could buy it all new and realistically most of the stuff we are shipping we don't really need. It's just a simpler life here. Just food for thought!
Take this to heart. Less is more. Furnishings and goods are easy to come by as people are always leaving, hotels remodeling etc... And when you spend most of your time outside, you soon realize that a slim selection of furniture for the lanai is probably a bigger issue than limited couch selections.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM

24 posts, read 25,973 times
I am hoping to move in November. I plan to bring clothes, kitchen gadgets, some tools, and some books. Everything else gets sold. I am really hating getting rid of my 1000+ LP collection but albums are too heavy to ship.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupule View Post
I am hoping to move in November. I plan to bring clothes, kitchen gadgets, some tools, and some books. Everything else gets sold. I am really hating getting rid of my 1000+ LP collection but albums are too heavy to ship.
Parting with my LP's was a tough one, as well. Digitalizing them beforehand is an option. 4TB hard drives are pretty cheap these days.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:03 AM

451 posts, read 407,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martintg View Post
We are building a home 2-3 miles north of Kawaihae. My wife is intent on bringing ~4 couches and some furnishings, over which we are still negotiating. ................ I am trying to figure out how to get a used rowing shell there (27' long, 12" wide, 20 lbs) and most options are very expensive (>=$600)................" Tom

Tom, a rowing shell? A single scull? Like the ones used on Union Bay? Where do you plan on using
it or are you going to hang it from the ceiling of your new home? I am not trying to be 'cute'. I'm just
trying to understand why it's needed relative to your reported shipping cost/issues.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM

65 posts, read 68,048 times
I can see a single scull being a ton of fun in Kailua Bay, on CALM mornings. For the rest of the time, learn surfski or OC1.

I'll be in contact with you. There is some construction materials I'd like to ship. The timeframe sounds good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island