Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 38,420 times

Advertisements

I Moved to Hilo,Hawaii around June of 2013 From Maui Hawaii and before that i'm originally from CA, not having any real knowledge of what it was really like to live in Hawaii for any good amount of time. It is now December 19, 2018 and I’m at my house in Keaau Hawaii deep in the rainforest on a slate grey day with the sound of rain so loud on my tin-roofed house that it sounds like when you fry potatoes in hot oil.

Living in Hilo, Hawaii doesn’t feel like home and aloha here is a scam and a business. After living here for about 6 months I was ready to leave and move somewhere else do to the abundance of people- that I want to say are not the kind of people that I am particularly fond of. I’ll name a few like: stinky young hippies and self-righteous liberals, Yoga and Vegan snobs, Old rich Hippie snobs, Wanna-be mediocre musicians, hateful Locals and Punatics, I’ll describe a Punatic as best I can -as far as I can see a Punatic is a broke ass person who wants to hide out in the lava-fields Pahoa area of Big-Island Hawaii maybe build some kind of a make-shift little house and not shower, smoke weed and be a little lazy disgusting dirt-bag and not be a productive member of the world and a lot of them might I add are poor white trash but not all of them are there’s definitely other flavors of Punatics.

While most people that either haven’t lived here long enough to really see it for what it really is or are just too delusional to really see that this place is NOT a paradise will say things like you’re just negative or why not focus on the positive. I do realize that everyone does not see things in the same manner that I do but I will say this- I’ve met plenty of people who see things exactly the way I do or very similar and they couldn’t get out of here fast enough. I am a realist from the old-school that see’s the reality in a lot of situations when a lot of people today live in a dream world of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube. Everybody thinks they’re famous these days and thinks they are a star just because they uploaded a couple selfys to one of these social media platforms OK that’s besides the point -back on Hilo I don’t know how many times my wife and I have been out on the little crappy village they call Hilo and decided that we would get some food from some of the restaraunts and been totally disappointed with the service and the food and at worse have even been made sick but mostly just disappointed with the both service and food. It’s not about customer service to these people here in this place they don’t care about the customer and they will let you know that with their disdainful attitudes towards you.

A system that only favors locals here if you’re not local- meaning someone who isn’t of Japanese, Korean or some kind of Asian or Hawaiian or Portagee and were not born here either you gets no love from these people. I like to call it localism if you’re a white mainlander you can FORGET about trying to do anything in this community past working at Wal-Mart or Target because they will make it hard real- hard for you. African Americans this is for you this is my observations you are in the same boat here in Hawaii. Don’t be fooled into thinking that they like you just because you see Bob Marley memorabilia everywhere and that reggae is popular here amongst a lot of locals you are nothing to them either they could care-less about your plight or anything else that has to do with you. The only other way that I have seen people that aren't from here successfully integrate into these peoples culture is to marry into it and I’m not even sure about that. So unless you are a Billionaire that doesn’t have to worry about the same things that us little people do and you can afford to build yourself a nice fortress on a beautiful cliff or beach somewhere overlooking the ocean and can have anything you want at your beckon call then BE MY GUEST you my friend can live in Hawaii with little to no problems but for the rest of you- don’t ever think that you’ll come to Hawaii ESPECIALLY HILO Hawaii and “MAKE IT” and one more thing it's way to wet in this place it rains waaay too much in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 02:57 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
So you've been here five years and have been miserable the whole time? Why are you just now complaining?

We have been living here for eight years in a rural area near South Point and, while there is some slight local resentment towards haoles on the whole we've felt very accepted. We've never really experienced stink eye from anyone, and most of the comments about being haole have been made more matter-of-fact than rudely. Sometimes the staff at the building department is openly rude to us transplants, but luckily I don't deal with them very often. Here in Ka'u there is a real mixture of locals, transplants, retired people, hippies, etc. and for the most part we all get along.

So how much longer are you planning to stay where you feel so unwanted?

Old 12-19-2018, 03:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Why do you live in Hilo if you hate it so much?

Note: I only visited it once on vacation, and I hated it - lol.

Loved your descriptions! Especially the Punatics.

You should take up writing. You could be one of those famous people

Old 12-19-2018, 03:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platelunchOrama View Post
I’m at my house in Keaau Hawaii deep in the rainforest on a slate grey day with the sound of rain so loud on my tin-roofed house that it sounds like when you fry potatoes in hot oil.
What? It rains in Puna?

Old 12-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Oh i have been complaining about this for years and at times i let myself fool myself and think that Hawaii was cool and laid back but i'ts not it's just a collection of a bunch of people seeking paradise which really is just a lie. I'm outta here real soon i've had enough aloha there's so many more beautiful places in the world.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:45 PM

Well thanks for the compliment
and that's funny that you said you hated it LoL
i hate it here too.
and only stayed because
we fooled ourselves into thinking that Hawaii is the place to be.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:45 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platelunchOrama View Post
Well thanks for the compliment
and that's funny that you said you hated it LoL
i hate it here too.
and only stayed because
we fooled ourselves into thinking that Hawaii is the place to be.
Have you thought about other places on any of the islands?

I think Hilo has to be one of the worst towns in all of Hawaii.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:57 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Loved your descriptions! Especially the Punatics.

You should take up writing. You could be one of those famous people
"..build some kind of a make-shift little house and not shower, smoke weed and be a little lazy disgusting dirt-bag and not be a productive member of the world.."

Oh yeah, that's real original.

Well, it's your opinion, man, and you're welcome to it.

Hilo is one of the few towns in Hawaii that has any authenticity to it, IMO, rather than just a place catering to tourists and populated primarily by tourists.

BTW, you just finished five straight days of dry weather!

Old 12-19-2018, 06:45 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
I think this post speaks more to an ability to integrate than anything. I have been here almost as long as OP and live in an (arguably) poorer and more rural area than Hilo/Puna District.
Having grown up in a Yupik fishing village in Alaska I knew how essential community integration would be when I moved here. One of my first priorities was to join a community volunteer group. It's amazing how many people I have met through that organization and through the activities it participates in.
And as far as the eclectic citizenry is concerned, we'll, it's not much different than Northern California or even parts of Alaska. If you want nothing but cookie-cutter suburbanites, we'll, Hawai'i definitely ain't your place.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:37 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Keaau isn't Hilo, but what were you expecting when you moved to Puna? Obviously not what you found. Is this a demonstration of someone 'moving to Paradise' and finding out it isn't?

It has been raining just a wee bit this year, is it better when there's more sunshine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island