Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM

17 posts, read 252,076 times

Advertisements

Well, a good friend of mine was on the big island last week, and he took a look at a property that we'd found online. He told us that the entire Puna area is severely depressed, and the people were very rude. Is there a general feeling of hatred towards mainlanders in the Puna area? He said the people on the Kona side were all very nice. Also, is there a drug problem in the Puna area? The description of lawlessness that he gave made us a bit leery. We're planning on going out there in May, but I'm trying to get a better feel for things too. I don't mind vast lava fields, mosquitos, run down buildings, etc., but his description of kids in gangs is scary. The specific property that he looked at in the Hawaiian Beaches subdivision near Pahoa had been taken over by a motorcycle gang, and they threatened to kill him when he tried to take pictures for us (He was outside of the property, on the street too). Is this the typical for what goes on in the Puna region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Default Good and bad in Puna

Puna is a very large area, about the same size as the island of Oahu, larger than many mainland counties, very diverse. There are drugs here, but no different than the rest of of Hawaii and the U.S.A. There are beautiful parts here and some crummy neighborhoods too. The area known as "The Beaches" is actually 3 different subdivisions with thousands of lots covering approx. 1 x 4 miles between Pahoa and the ocean. Two have homeowners associations and covenants, the third does not, probably where this house is located. It sounds like maybe you were looking at an online F.S.B.O.? I can't imagine a realtor not warning you ahead of time about a bad tenant, or not being with you or your representative for a showing. BTW, The best areas of Puna are not on the main highways.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:30 PM

17 posts, read 252,076 times
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. Actually, this was through a realtor, though he's also the owner, but the house isn't officially on the market yet because of this tenant (though he does already have the ad up for the house). We knew about the problem tenant, but the realtor didn't explain the extent of it. He said it would be fine to have a look from outside and take a few pix. The price he's asking did make it seem like it would be too good to be true. I'm glad to hear that the whole region isn't like what our friend described. The pictures he brought back actually look really nice- I'm just more concerned about safety, and the people there. The nice "Aloha attitude" is one of the main things that first attracted us to Hawaii. Thanks again for the info!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,608 times
Default Thinking about buying in Hawaiian Beaches subdivision, Puna

I would like to hear some comments/experience about living in Hawaiian Beaches subdivision. We are seriously looking at house for sale there on Limu st. We have a lot in Nanawale estates and we love visiting for a month every summer for the past 4 years (we live in Northern British Columbia, Canada the rest of the year) We have truly enjoyed our time there and are thinking of buying a small retirement home. However, we know little about about Hawaiian Beaches. Sure would like to hear some thoughts on this particular subdivision. Thanks. D.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Hi northernlights,

I've sent you a Direct Message with more information, but my first question is to ask if you are looking for a property in an area with or without enforced CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions)? Are you ok with large dog kennels and chicken coops or would that be a concern for you?

With aloha,

Cynthia

Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
well coming from cali, it should be a breath of fresh air as it's not THAT crowded. yet

that's about it

Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 AM

50 posts, read 204,362 times
Default moped tweakers, "Heck's Angels", etc.

OK, guys, what's the Big Picture regarding blighted areas, as in juvenile gangbanger wannabes, rotten-toothed meth zombies, break-ins, rusty junk & garbage-festooned properties and rat shacks? I'm guessing these are pockets of Blecheeeeuw and that there are areas where civil people respect each other and wish to dwell in peace & tranquility, sharing BBQ and Kona Longboard beers. Is it best to go north of Hilo, buy a plot of land, and put up a kit home on a pumice-amalgam slab and install a solar panel array along with a Hughes Network dish for Internet, et cetera? Is this new fumarole and accompanying Vog going to settle down, or an indication that Pele is increasingly pissed off? Gimme da Big Picture, please. Someday, my psychic spider threads will lead me to the center of the web of life in Havaheee.
Mahalo & Aloha, brem.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
yes, i've lived in hilo, not kona so i'm not familiar with that.

hilo is like the redneck town of hawaii. it's full of the riffraff type too. so it has that lazy but often rude type of people.

i'm asian and they were rude to me. it feels like living in a rural southern state on the mainland, maybe not as bad but similar in some way. lol

Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
DO NOT BUY ANY PROPERTY ANYPLACE ON ANY OF THE ISLANDS WITHOUT LIVING IN THE AREA FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTHS FIRST.

Okay, I'm done yelling now.

Do yourself a favor and move over here and live in the areas you are contemplating buying a house in. Each area is different and there is no way you can find the best spot for yourself in a several day's hunt done while on vacation. Find a job if you need one to survive over here, then find a rental house nearby. Live there for six months while looking for a house to buy. You will be really, really glad of taking the extra time to look around. Even if the house you found on vacation is okay, it probably wouldn't be the best one for you if you had taken the time to look at all the options.

Last Friday's Hilo Herald Tribune had a dozen "help wanted" ads and over a dozen "foreclosure" listings.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torghaole View Post
OK, guys, what's the Big Picture regarding blighted areas, as in juvenile gangbanger wannabes, rotten-toothed meth zombies, break-ins, rusty junk & garbage-festooned properties and rat shacks? I'm guessing these are pockets of Blecheeeeuw and that there are areas where civil people respect each other and wish to dwell in peace & tranquility, sharing BBQ and Kona Longboard beers. Is it best to go north of Hilo, buy a plot of land, and put up a kit home on a pumice-amalgam slab and install a solar panel array along with a Hughes Network dish for Internet, et cetera? Is this new fumarole and accompanying Vog going to settle down, or an indication that Pele is increasingly pissed off? Gimme da Big Picture, please. Someday, my psychic spider threads will lead me to the center of the web of life in Havaheee.
Mahalo & Aloha, brem.
Yes, all those things are here, there is some strife and abject poverty. There is also phenomenal ostentatious wealth, sometimes living right next door. Most people fall somewhere in between. There is junk and drugs north of Hilo as well as south, but the vast majority of people here are fine folk. The biggest drug bust lately was in Kohala, where the rich and famous have their multimillion dollar vacation cottages. If you're building outside a subdivision wth covenants you can build just about anything you want except an igloo. Kilauea will always be there. Pele does what she wants, us humans living in her shadow hope she is happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island